Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:09:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with a transaction at Mt Gox  (Read 1783 times)
hvanra (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:32:42 PM

Hi everybody,

for the past couple of days I have been wrestling with the Mt Gox supportdesk.
Please have a look at the thread below.

Can anyone help me find out what went wrong?

Their final solution is going to the police...

Thanks, Hans
-------------------------------------------------
May 20 20:35

Hello Mt Gox!

On 2013-05-19 a payment was send to me in amount of 3.46700611 BTC.
It was send to 1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5
The transaction has cleared but the sum was not added to my account MXXXXXXXX
https://blockchain.info/nl/address/1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5

The used address came from an earlier payment I made to him via MT Gox, but old addresses are still usable as I understand.

Can you look into the matter?

Cheers, Hans

-----------------------

Linda Support

Support Desk

Hello,

Thank you for the email. Yes you can use the old BTC deposit address to deposit your BTC. On checking your account I find that you have received some BTC from third party please check and let me know the status. On checking I see that it is good to go. Please advise.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

May 20, 2013 21:18
-----------------------------------
Linda Support

Support Desk

Hello,

For 3.46700611 BTC. Please check this link: https://blockchain.info/tx/929ef144e5c7e439684d6f1f9ef86b332546794dcbaaaf61b3f365b72b0894b0

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

May 20, 2013 21:20

---------------------------------------

Hvanra

Yes that is correct. Please add the amount to my wallet.
Thank you,

May 20, 2013 21:31

------------------------------------

Linda Support

Support Desk

Hello,

Thank you for the email. On checking your account I find that you have not initiated any withdrawal for 3.46700611 BTC from this following account M90407683X . Kindly clarify your request.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

May 20, 2013 21:44

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hvanra

It is not a withdrawal. It was a payment from third party send to me!
I haven't received the 3.46700611 BTC in my wallet.
in other words: I haven't received a deposit made to 1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5 in my account.

May 21, 2013 00:37

-------------------------------------------------------

Patrick

Mt.Gox

Hello,

Thank you for the email. Please check this link https://blockchain.info/tx/929ef144e5c7e439684d6f1f9ef86b332546794dcbaaaf61b3f365b72b0894b0

In that link you can see that the Included In Blocks shows 236910 this blocks needs to attends zero then only the funds will be credited. It is depends on the internet speed of the destination computer. please wait for that to get zero

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

May 21, 2013 01:01

-----------------------------------------------------

Hvanra

Hi there,

I have been waiting a few days now, and I really don't know what I am
supposed to do.
What has to go to zero? How can I do that?

Please help,

Hans

---------------------------------------------

Linda Support

Support Desk

Hello,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please change your email address password and Mt.Gox password immediately. Please do not use the same username and password on different services. You can use the Yubikey or Software Authentication on our Security Center to further secure your accounts.

Please file a police report in order for the police to investigate the case and make an effort to retrieve your funds. We will cooperate with the police authority in providing the necessary information for the investigation, but we are unable to reimburse any stolen funds.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

May 22, 2013 22:18

Please consider this request as resolved   
MikeT

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:39:35 PM

Confusing  Huh
hvanra (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:49:14 PM

Confusing  Huh
To say the least...
chris267

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:01:33 PM

Basically mtgox support is saying your account has been hacked and funds were transferred to another account.
CRYMinter

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:07:40 PM

WOW!  Nice to see that the not so helpful desk is living up to the "standards" not outlined in any EULA that we see or have accepted. Shocked
CRYMinter

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:14:53 PM

I know that I have MUCH confusion on the banking part of the mining that I am starting to get into now.  Any advise on what not to do so I can mitigate against theft like this one?
foxygoxy

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:21:48 PM

This is why we need a new exchange, one that puts customers at center. Something like pokerstars is for onlie poker.
WuLabsWuTecH

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:50:33 PM

Wait, so they are saying the funds were stolen?  Because according to the blockchain, the funds are still there.

https://blockchain.info/address/1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5

3.46700611 BTC to be exact.

I think they are just misunderstanding what you are saying.  Because even they admitted the funds were never transferred out of your account.
MikeT

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:58:01 PM

Wait, so they are saying the funds were stolen?  Because according to the blockchain, the funds are still there.

I think they are just misunderstanding what you are saying.  Because even they admitted the funds were never transferred out of your account.

I don't think anyone knows what hes saying.
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:00:08 PM

I agree.  I think the best thing to do is to send a longer email rather than just hitting a few points.  Summarize the entirety of what has happened and what you are requesting them to do.  Nothing in your email or their indicated an account hack until the last email where it appeared out of thin air.  I think someone just misinterpreted something along the way.
kodo

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:02:00 PM

Mtgox is quite frankly shit
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:07:03 PM

Wait, so they are saying the funds were stolen?  Because according to the blockchain, the funds are still there.

I think they are just misunderstanding what you are saying.  Because even they admitted the funds were never transferred out of your account.

I agree.  I think the best thing to do is to send a longer email rather than just hitting a few points.  Summarize the entirety of what has happened and what you are requesting them to do.  Nothing in your email or their indicated an account hack until the last email where it appeared out of thin air.  I think someone just misinterpreted something along the way.

Fully agree. The transaction is verified (more then 400 confirmations). Blockchain shows no further movements from the account. She just misunderstood your question.
Still the question s: why the amount it's not reflected by your MTGOX account?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:09:10 PM

I think someone just misinterpreted something along the way.

I agree, this definitely looks like a miscommunication.  They seem to be giving you advice about how to see the bitcoins in your "wallet" on your own computer (such as Bitcoin-Qt), on the assumption that you have withdrawn funds from MtGox and are complaining that the funds aren't visible in your "wallet".

I suspect what you are actually complaining about is that bitcoins were sent to your MtGox "account", and that the funds are not showing up in the MtGox "account" that should have received them.
hvanra (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:14:43 PM

I think someone just misinterpreted something along the way.

I agree, this definitely looks like a miscommunication.  They seem to be giving you advice about how to see the bitcoins in your "wallet" on your own computer (such as Bitcoin-Qt), on the assumption that you have withdrawn funds from MtGox and are complaining that the funds aren't visible in your "wallet".

I suspect what you are actually complaining about is that bitcoins were sent to your MtGox "account", and that the funds are not showing up in the MtGox "account" that should have received them.

Thank you, I was also under the impression that there was a lot of miscommunication. Problem was that I couldn't put it more clearly than in my initial support request. Maybe it's not clear about what wallet i'm talking about.
I'll give it another try. In my best Jappo-English...i'm Dutch...that's not easy Wink
hvanra (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:36:57 PM

Well, I have come to the conclusion that it's not about miscommunication but stupidity.

Check the next tread  of this JappoSoap. The advice is nonsense; the Bitcoin address changes with every transaction.

Any advice?

Cheers, Hans

----------------------------------------------

Hvanra, May 23 01:56 (JST):

I am very sorry but I think we are having a miscommunication.
Nothing has been stolen.

I said that bitcoins were sent to my MtGox "account" (1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5), and that the funds are not showing up in the MtGox "account" that should have received them.
 According to the blockchain, the funds are still there.

3.46700611 BTC to be exact. There are over 400 confirmations.
It is just not showing up in my Mt Gox account.

Thank you, Hans

------------------------------------------------
Linda Support, May 23 20:39 (JST):
Hello,

Thank you for the email. I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to locate the transfer with the Bitcoin address 1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5. You can find your Mtgox Bitcoin address from the steps below

-Login to your Mtgox account
-Click on "Funding options" and select "Add funds" and choose "Bitcoins" from the drop down
-You will find the Bitcoin address of your account.

Please contact us back for further assistance.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team
-------------------------------------------------
Hvanra, May 23

I can prove that the address was used sending an amount from my Mt Gox account!

Please check this transaction in my account history: 2013/05/18 09:55:57 Withdraw  0.81385120 Bitcoin withdraw to 147gae1XZnB3F18HRusqKu3MfaH8Er2hpt

according to this: https://blockchain.info/nl/tx/0dd62e4644f1b7f47590edbeb860a7da794b0d51217bd0433ae4eaff7f54587d

the send address was 1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5

So this address was be used with my Mt Gox account.

Maybe something has gone wrong in your database?

Hans

jmbinfo

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:39:00 PM

Thanks for the post...good read. Yeah, Gox has its issues and you really do feel like you are getting the run-around. Took me months just to get verified.
WuLabsWuTecH

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:50:10 PM

Thanks for the post...good read. Yeah, Gox has its issues and you really do feel like you are getting the run-around. Took me months just to get verified.

And this is the reason I never used gox.  Created an account, but by the time i got verified, then had to have my dwolla account verified, I had already started using CampBX and was happy with their services and saw no reason to use gox.

Things move slowly at Gox.  Just be patient and as reputable a company as they are, it'll get sorted out sometime before the snow starts falling again!
jmbinfo

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:51:35 PM

And this is the reason I never used gox.  Created an account, but by the time i got verified, then had to have my dwolla account verified, I had already started using CampBX and was happy with their services and saw no reason to use gox.

Things move slowly at Gox.  Just be patient and as reputable a company as they are, it'll get sorted out sometime before the snow starts falling again!

Yeah, I gave up also ( tho I think it is verified still now for me ) but started using Coinbase and just mining LTC and converting. I don't have deep enuf pockets anyway to buy btc in any quantity.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:07:58 PM

I can prove that the address was used sending an amount from my Mt Gox account!

Please check this transaction in my account history: 2013/05/18 09:55:57 Withdraw  0.81385120 Bitcoin withdraw to 147gae1XZnB3F18HRusqKu3MfaH8Er2hpt

according to this: https://blockchain.info/nl/tx/0dd62e4644f1b7f47590edbeb860a7da794b0d51217bd0433ae4eaff7f54587d

the send address was 1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5

Hold on.  I think I see the problem.  It looks like their is a miscommunication, but it looks like part of the problem is you misunderstanding how MtGox works.

First, 1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5 is not an "account", it's a bitcoin address.  Calling it an account just increases the confusion.

Next, MtGox does not hold everyone's bitcoins in segregated addresses, just like when you deposit cash into a bank they don't mark those specific bills as yours and return them to you when you withdraw.  MtGox provides you in their user interface with an address that you can use to fund your account.  When they see funds arrive at that address, they know that your account should be credited.  Then those funds are swept from that "funding" address to other addresses where they are pooled with all the other bitcoins MtGox has received from everyone else.

When you "withdraw" funds from MtGox, they don't send them to you from your funding address.  They just take a random address from their pooled funds and send you some bitcoins from there.  There is no link created in their database from that address to your account specifically.  Sending funds to an address that you've received funds from is generally a bad idea and with MtGox, it is always a bad idea.

So, you may have to explain your issue to MtGox a bit differently to collect your funds.

Keep in mind that anyone could have accidentally sent funds to the address 1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5, and since it isn't linked specifically to your account in their database and has never shown up in the user interface as a funding address for you, MtGox has to be careful not to give you bitcoins that belong to someone else.  I could contact them right now and tell them that I accidentally sent to the wrong address, and that those are my bitcoins (as could anyone else who is reading this forum).  They'll want/need to be sure that you actually are the right person to give those bitcoins to before they update your account.

Try contacting them again.  This time explain it something like this:

"I've just realized that I used an incorrect address when attempting to fund (deposit into) my account.  Rather than sending bitcoins to one of the "funding addresses" that MtGox provides, I accidentally sent bitcoins to an address that MtGox used when sending me a withdrawl in the past.  Can you confirm that MtGox owns the address 1PZmRkTrBv8sSn1mgYtjeVwJLtxwUGEHr5?  If so, can you please credit the 3.46700611 bitcoins from transaction 929ef144e5c7e439684d6f1f9ef86b332546794dcbaaaf61b3f365b72b0894b0 to my account: M90407683X.  I apologize for any inconvenience, and will be more careful about funding my account in the future.  I can provide a signature from address  1GwPaTHi6s3XkzaFQe7DwFJNXfmUTbRkiQ to prove that I was the person who sent those bitcoins if necessary."

So this address was be used with my Mt Gox account.

As I hope you understand now, this is not true.

Maybe something has gone wrong in your database?

As you can hopefully see now, the problem isn't in their database.  The problem is that with bitcoin you can never assume that an address that you receive bitcoins "from" is a good address to send bitcoins "to".
hvanra (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:47:01 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2013, 06:19:02 PM by hvanra

Thanks Danny for the explanation and help.
In their explanation of funding options:

"To add bitcoins, send to this address (Please be advised that your bitcoin address will change every time that there is a transaction, but old addresses are still USABLE.)"

I have contacted the Mt Gox help desk the way you suggested.

Results (or not) will be posted here.

Cheers, Hans
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: