Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:55:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BT3] 5,000 Testnet Bitcoin bounty for Bitcoin Testnet Pool  (Read 2564 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:11:22 AM

and then they reset testnet and it's all gone? 

Nope, not true. We can all stay on BT3 (Bitcoin Testnet Three) as long as we want. If they reset testnet, it would be testnet four, and we wouldn't have to switch to it unless we wanted to.

more or less retired.
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:15:28 AM

so what wallet I use for this? I got nothing better to do anyways.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:32:51 AM

so what wallet I use for this? I got nothing better to do anyways.

Well you can run your bitcoin client normally in testnet mode- and you can use that.

You can learn about testnet here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Testnet

Otherwise in your bitcoin config file you can set testnet=1

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:54:48 AM

Sure, and there was talk about this at the Conference and even on the bitcoin development email list.

Post your source for this?

Isn't that the source in and of itself? :-)

EDIT: Part of the conversation:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=201305200712.19206.luke%40dashjr.org&forum_name=bitcoin-development

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:17:33 AM

Yay, testnet will be even more difficult to use, congratulations guys!  Roll Eyes

Actually that's not true. Thanks to https://github.com/freewil/bitcoin-testnet-box anyone can build a testnet as they wish. So by encouraging miners on testnet we don't harm any projects. Anyone can have their stable difficulty testnet.

If you were are the conference this past weekend you would have seen that the view of testnet is changing. That it should be a staging ground for more exotic bitcoin features that are too cutting edge to risk on the main network. There is a growin concensous that testnet bitcoins need to have some nominal value so as to incentivize people to try more exotic applications- be it trying to steal through OP-EVAL codes, scripting or hacking projects. Now that testnet in a box is out there, people can have a stable testnet whenever they want, but to really test bitcoins 'final frontier' features, we need to assign coins some sort of value so as that people are incentivized to try harder to build, steal, develop, conquer.

I said this a while ago and got slammed.

Well maybe it's time to change things. Although to be clear, I think it's more important that we focus on experimenting with Testnet- building things rather then focusing solely focusing on value. This probably won't please the pump-and-dump coin crowd, but then again if you are into crypto long-run I think it makes sense to try and direct your energies towards something that feeds back into bitcoin.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:09:58 PM

I've put a p2pool pool up, happy to leave it running on BT3 for some time. Will be a good opportunity to tune the p2pool server if I can get a few people using it!  Smiley

Server: mine.procrypto.com
Port: 19332
Stats: http://mine.procrypto.com:19332/static/
Username: <your testnet bitcoin address>
Password: (doesn't matter)

Coins will end up at your address as if you'd solo mined them.

I sent you the bounty! Thanks! I'm mining away happily!

more or less retired.
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:43:14 PM

Ok, rabbit. I'll bite. This seems like a fun activity vs. mining 'the coin of the day'. Would you mind tossing me a few coins to make sure I set up the testnet wallet correctly:
mphbYoY6wLb4MqNZnKSLos6Xqi8HK4Lv1W
Thx
TheSwede75

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:12:54 PM

Ok, rabbit. I'll bite. This seems like a fun activity vs. mining 'the coin of the day'. Would you mind tossing me a few coins to make sure I set up the testnet wallet correctly:
mphbYoY6wLb4MqNZnKSLos6Xqi8HK4Lv1W
Thx

Thx Rabbit, seems to be working fine. Throwing a few MH at the pool for fun.
procrypto

Shitcoin Maximalist

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:25:24 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2013, 04:02:58 PM by procrypto

^^ 1 tBTC was from me   Smiley

I got that, many thanks, has given me a healthy balance to use. Smiley

I'm glad the pool has been working well, I'm happy to leave it running for a little while longer.

It's on a pretty good server, so it's not cheap to run. Any other donations (BTC, LTC, YAC) are greatly appreciated - I'll add some donation links on the pool stats pages. If anyone finds it useful and fancies being generous, feel free  Grin
mrvegad

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:31:38 PM

Can someone send me something to see if i have my wallet setup right? 
n1SjFzS8o98GtQAQgPouBSgFCiK9mGawwe
Thanks
TheSwede75

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:32:47 PM

I'm glad the pool has been working well, I'm happy to leave it running for a while longer.

It's on a pretty good server, so it's not cheap to run. Any other donations (BTC, LTC, YAC) are greatly appreciated - I'll add some donation links on the pool stats pages. If anyone finds it useful and fancies being generous, feel free  Grin

If I remember where on my network I installed my YAK wallet I'll send you a few Smiley
TheSwede75

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:35:58 PM

I'm glad the pool has been working well, I'm happy to leave it running for a while longer.

Well thank you Smiley
mrvegad

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:39:56 PM

Wrong address.  This is the correct one

mhYWCuRyzA4ugrb8STLkP8TfwP1X6GkUtG

Thanks
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:41:48 PM

If testnet coins begin having momentary value, they then are then useless for testing purposes.

gudmunsn

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:49:43 PM

I've put a p2pool pool up, happy to leave it running on BT3 for some time. Will be a good opportunity to tune the p2pool server if I can get a few people using it!  Smiley

Server: mine.procrypto.com
Port: 19332
Stats: http://mine.procrypto.com:19332/static/
Username: <your testnet bitcoin address>
Password: (doesn't matter)

Coins will end up at your address as if you'd solo mined them.

Looks like people are starting to mine BTC testnet. Perhaps it's time to start mining this one with some stronger hash power...

TheSwede75

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 03:49:57 PM

If testnet coins begin having momentary value, they then are then useless for testing purposes.

Well, I assume the 'value' is whatever it is traded for and/or if a developer has use for a testnet with a higher diff then a new reset one. I mine just for fun.
TheSwede75

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:06:37 PM

How long can I expect to wait for the first tBTC from the pool to hit wallet? I can't see my address after around 40 min of mining in the payout list. Just curious!
procrypto

Shitcoin Maximalist

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:07:40 PM

How long can I expect to wait for the first tBTC from the pool to hit wallet? I can't see my address after around 40 min of mining in the payout list. Just curious!

Don't think we've hit a block for about that long. Payouts on this p2pool setup generally come a few mins after we do.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I personally don't have any interest in them gaining any value. Using p2pool, I was able to get a quantity of tBTC that I just wouldn't have been able to mine on my own with one lowly 6870. I intend to use them for the purpose for which they were intended.

If the pool starts taking every single block, I might have to pull it, as it's really not my intention to render the Testnet useless.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:11:14 PM

Don't think we've hit a block for about that long.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I personally don't have any interest in them gaining any value. Using p2pool, I was able to get a quantity of tBTC that I just wouldn't have been able to mine on my own with one lowly 6870.

If the pool starts taking every single block, I might have to pull it, as it's really not my intention to render the Testnet useless.

Well I think more people will start mining eventually, that said- I'd say leave it up, even if you are taking every single block. What would happen on Bitcoin if some super powerful miner were able to take  every single block? I don't think we should be so 'easy' on testnet. It's place to experiment with bitcoin. The testnet is a place were we can really stress test bitcoin, so lets have at it! Thats my opinion. Lets push and pull this thing and find out where all the weak spots are. We don't have to be paranoid like the devs are about bitcoin. We aren't playing with anyone's billion dollars after all. :-)

Besides, it's not useless. Developers can always run "testnet in a box" so it's not like they are screwed because of your service.

more or less retired.
TheSwede75

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:15:20 PM

Don't think we've hit a block for about that long.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I personally don't have any interest in them gaining any value. Using p2pool, I was able to get a quantity of tBTC that I just wouldn't have been able to mine on my own with one lowly 6870.

Well I think more people will start mining eventually, that said- I'd say leave it up, even if you are taking every single block. What would happen on Bitcoin if some super powerful miner were able to take  every single block? I don't think we should be so 'easy' on testnet. It's place to experiment with bitcoin. The testnet is a place were we can really stress test bitcoin, so lets have at it! Thats my opinion. Lets push and pull this thing and find out where all the weak spots are. We don't have to be paranoid like the devs are about bitcoin. We aren't playing with anyone's billion dollars after all. :-)

Besides, it's not useless. Developers can always run "testnet in a box" so it's not like they are screwed because of your service.

I wouldn't worry about the pool 51% the testnet. I am throwing just over 1GH/S at it solo right now and doing fine. The pool I am not so sure, I ran against it for 45 min and never even saw my address in the payout or graph. Prob just being antsy but solo mining is just as well for me right now.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: