Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:50:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BT3] 5,000 Testnet Bitcoin bounty for Bitcoin Testnet Pool  (Read 2564 times)
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 05:59:34 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2013, 06:51:17 PM by jackjack

Besides, it's not useless. Developers can always run "testnet in a box" so it's not like they are screwed because of your service.
Wrong. Testnet-in-a-box doesn't work for everybody.
+ No service like blockexplorer (no, Abe can't replace it)
+ No stress test (like you love to say) possible if you're the only one
+ You can't test your app/service with beta-testers on testnet

You're just parasiting the whole principle of testnet
Why not copy-pasting bitcoin with a new genesis block? Why not using testnet2 or testnet1? (these are not rhetorical questions)

I'm quoting you:
and then they reset testnet and it's all gone? 

Nope, not true. We can all stay on BT3 (Bitcoin Testnet Three) as long as we want. If they reset testnet, it would be testnet four, and we wouldn't have to switch to it unless we wanted to.
Then use testnet2 or testnet1. That's the exact same thing except you don't ruin things for developpers.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:38:31 PM

Attempting to financially profit from testnet coins is just lame. Stooping to new lows of desperation, pure and simple.

If you don't need them or don't plan on using them anytime soon, do the right thing for Bitcoin and donate them to the faucet.

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:19:02 PM

+ You can't test your app/service with beta-testers o

first of all, block explorer is hardly a reliable service. Last time I checked it was down anyway.

And how would you stress test on the testnet network if no one else is on it? I'm talking about running ideas that might pollute the blockchain, or spam it. Services that embed data in it like torrents, links, pictures, complex scripts. These are all legitimate things to experiment with, but not financially or functionally possible (or a good idea) on main-net. We need a place to do things like that.

You'll get beta testers on the testnet network, when there's more people on it. To do that, it needs some marginal value to attract any sort of volume of users. People need incentive.

Why not copy-pasting bitcoin with a new genesis block? Why not using testnet2 or testnet1? (these are not rhetorical questions)

Because no one is on testnet2 or testnet1. If the dev's want to start it over- so be it. But the whole point is to experiment with an economy AND the technical possibilities with bitcoin which are anathema for mainline bitcoin.

Then use testnet2 or testnet1. That's the exact same thing except you don't ruin things for developpers.

How exactly are things ruined for developers? The only developers that could possibly be harmed from lots of people mining are...miners. Right? Anything else you might develop would require testers, right? That's the whole point. Testnet is a wasteland. Lots of bitcoin developers haven't even heard about testnet. YES I'M BEING SERIOUS. I would show you proof but I don't want to embarrass them, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Seriously, mainline bitcoiners are so uptight about bitcoin itself (with good reason- it's worth a ton of money) they've closed themselves off to a whole world of experimentation. Bitcoin IS an experiment. But it's gotten popular before it's been perfected. It's not even 1.0 software yet. So let us take testnet, and let us really develop it into a vibrant staging ground for bitcoin. A place where we can develop new things, try new things, test new things, without having to hear the tired old, "Don't touch the blockchain!" argument which accompanies any possible mention in mainstream bitcoin of changing things.

more or less retired.
procrypto

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Shitcoin Maximalist

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:55:32 PM

I wouldn't worry about the pool 51% the testnet. I am throwing just over 1GH/S at it solo right now and doing fine. The pool I am not so sure, I ran against it for 45 min and never even saw my address in the payout or graph. Prob just being antsy but solo mining is just as well for me right now.

Fair enough, like I said you joined and then we didn't get a block for about 35-40 min. The pool has been working fine for us for the past few days  Wink

I'll reset it and wipe the data folder again to give it a little nudge. 
TheSwede75

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:58:03 PM

I wouldn't worry about the pool 51% the testnet. I am throwing just over 1GH/S at it solo right now and doing fine. The pool I am not so sure, I ran against it for 45 min and never even saw my address in the payout or graph. Prob just being antsy but solo mining is just as well for me right now.

Fair enough, like I said you joined and then we didn't get a block for about 35-40 min. The pool has been working fine for us for the past few days  Wink

I'll reset it and wipe the data folder again to give it a little nudge. 

Oh no worries at all, could very well have been my own damn fault Smiley
procrypto

Shitcoin Maximalist

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:06:20 PM

I have a sneaky feeling you aren't the only one throwing some power at this now, not picking up anywhere near the amount of blocks we were.
gudmunsn

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:12:17 PM

I have a sneaky feeling you aren't the only one throwing some power at this now, not picking up anywhere near the amount of blocks we were.

yep. about 40 mins ago somebody started mining with some major hash power. We're talking about a block every few seconds. I don't know how many were solved in this timespan. Interesting. The block solving seems to have dropped dramatically in the last 20 mins though...

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 09:21:06 PM

first of all, block explorer is hardly a reliable service. Last time I checked it was down anyway.
btclook.com

You'll get beta testers on the testnet network, when there's more people on it. To do that, it needs some marginal value to attract any sort of volume of users. People need incentive.
I already get them. And currently it requires NOTHING from them to use it.
The whole point of testnet is having few people on it...
Yeah sure, people will use something valuable to test something in which they don't have any interest  Roll Eyes

Because no one is on testnet2 or testnet1. If the dev's want to start it over- so be it. But the whole point is to experiment with an economy AND the technical possibilities with bitcoin which are anathema for mainline bitcoin.
Nice job ignoring my question about copy-pasting Bitcoin with different genesis block

How exactly are things ruined for developers? The only developers that could possibly be harmed from lots of people mining are...miners. Right? Anything else you might develop would require testers, right? That's the whole point. Testnet is a wasteland. Lots of bitcoin developers haven't even heard about testnet. YES I'M BEING SERIOUS. I would show you proof but I don't want to embarrass them, so you'll have to take my word for it.
Lots of Afghan girls never went to schools. YES I'M BEING SERIOUS. Let's not tell them about it and let's make its access even harder.
Anyway, how is that justify not to copy-paste Bitcoin?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:58:39 PM

btclook.com

I already get them. And currently it requires NOTHING from them to use it.
The whole point of testnet is having few people on it...
Yeah sure, people will use something valuable to test something in which they don't have any interest  Roll Eyes

Nice job ignoring my question about copy-pasting Bitcoin with different genesis block

Lots of Afghan girls never went to schools. YES I'M BEING SERIOUS. Let's not tell them about it and let's make its access even harder.
Anyway, how is that justify not to copy-paste Bitcoin?

uh sorry I didn't mean to avoid your question I thought I was obvious with the answer "Because no one is on" which is the same answer to why not copy and paste. Virtually every single coin in the alt coin forums is the result of 'copy and paste' and thats not really working out so well.

More specifically- I want to avoid the problem of untrusted binaries. No one bothers to read the source code here. Especially in situations like what terracoin went through when there was update after update after update. The point of using stock bitcoin testnet is that you can trust the code. You don't have to worry that there is a trojan or anything like that. It's safe and secure. Thats why.

EDIT: As for the Afghan girls, if it's related, I don't get it. My point was that people don't know about testnet and I want to change that. Testnet should be (in my mind) as well known as bitcoin is. (At least for the bitcointalk crowd, which it isn't). If the difficulty of the testnet went to a hundred million, how would you be harmed?

more or less retired.
procrypto

Shitcoin Maximalist

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:00:08 AM

I've taken the test pool offline, as this is an argument I don't really want (or need) to be in the middle of. I now have more than enough Testnet BTC for the my own purposes, so I'd happily donate some back to the faucet. If crazy_rabbit wants the "bounty" back I'll gladly return it.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:08:47 AM

I've taken the test pool offline, as this is an argument I don't really want (or need) to be in the middle of. I now have more than enough Testnet BTC for the my own purposes, so I'd happily donate some back to the faucet. If crazy_rabbit wants the "bounty" back I'll gladly return it.

Really? That's so silly. So you feel convinced that, as a developer yourself, by offering pool-mining on testnet you are somehow getting involved in an argument? On the wrong side of the argument even? It's disappointing really- there are no 'bitcoin police' you know. It's not written anywhere in the bible of bitcoin that you "can't pool mine testnet bitcoins". As you wish, just disappointing to hear you've been bullied into something.

Please send the coins to: mrhz5ZgSF3C1BSdyCKt3gEdhKoRL5BNfJV

That is the address of TP's testnet faucet.

more or less retired.
procrypto

Shitcoin Maximalist

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:23:51 AM

Really? That's so silly. So you feel convinced that, as a developer yourself, by offering pool-mining on testnet you are somehow getting involved in an argument? On the wrong side of the argument even? It's disappointing really- there are no 'bitcoin police' you know. It's not written anywhere in the bible of bitcoin that you "can't pool mine testnet bitcoins". As you wish, just disappointing to hear you've been bullied into something.

I've been part of this community for a very short time, so I don't yet have a strong enough opinion to be on either side of the debate. The diplomatic thing to do in this situation is to step out of the way. Smiley

Please send the coins to: mrhz5ZgSF3C1BSdyCKt3gEdhKoRL5BNfJV

That is the address of TP's testnet faucet.

http://testnet.btclook.com/#/txn/a469b22177bd5052a1c3db45bdbdc74208aa908048e19f3d5a74de2774066411
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: