Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:23:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need HELP with my rig, can't access the BIOS because of "missing boot drive"?  (Read 298 times)
kryptoknightk (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 07:06:27 AM

Here's the list of my hardware:

Asrock H81 BTC Pro motherboard which is DDR3.
4GB DDR3 Hard drive
60GB SATA 3
Intel Celeron G1840 Processor.
Seasonic 860 Platinum PSU.
Got a GTX 1060 rn, more GPUs coming in mail this week. Have the risers already.

For connections:

Hard drive is placed in good.
Power and cpu to motherboard and psu.
SSD to motherboard and psu.

From the monitor, got the VGA connected to motherboard.

I haven't hooked up the PCIe and the sata chain yet, because I am trying to get the BIOS running before I hook up the GPU.

I tried pressing F2, Delete, ESC and even F11 but nothing is getting me to the BIOS.

I get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" error.

What could be the problem, please help. Last thing I want to know is that I blew couple grands on nothing. Could it be a faulty motherboard, or a faulty hard drive or something else?

All help is greatly appreciated!
coinnoob_za

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 11:33:58 AM

According to the Manual it is F2 key to enter into BIOS.

As you are getting a HDD error, it means that it passes entering into BIOS and starts looking for a HDD to load an OS.
Can only be that the Computer is not receiving the F2 button press.
Maybe faulty keyboard or key? Try different USB ports as it could also be a faulty USB port.
ntsdm1

Activity: 394
Merit: 14

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 12:45:11 PM

just to clarify things..
the motherboard bios and the boot sector are two complete different things
the motherboard bios is accessed by pressing F2 key during the startup of the system.
the bootsector of a hdd /sdd/usb/gross memory . is the part of the hdd that allows it to become bootable and run a operating system.
now how can these two items get interchanged?
my advice it to strip everything from the motherboard.
even the battery onboard
 remove the hdd and leave only the mouse and keyboard
and the monitor still attached.
then try resetting the motherboard as your problem is more then likely not a problem
 its a lack of knowledge issue not hardware.
coinnoob_za

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 01:23:01 PM

I'm sorry but how can pressing the correct "F2" button and computer refusing to go into BIOS be a lack of knowledge?
Off course it is then a hardware issue of some sort.
don't think anybody implied interchanging bootsector and BIOS. We all know the difference between the two.
I am well aware that the code from the BIOS is what is actually loaded and then searches for an OS to load from the bootsector of the boot drive assigned in BIOS.
If the key press is doing nothing it can very well be a faulty keyboard / key or port, why i suggested him to eliminate this first.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: