Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:50:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core 0.15.0 Release Candidates Crashing on Windows  (Read 3188 times)
Coiner.de

Activity: 773
Merit: 531

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 06:11:04 PM

Problem solved!  Running bitcoin-qt with the '-resetguisettings' switch fixed it.  Thanks to MeshCollider on github for the fix! Smiley

Thanks! That helped me with the released version too.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Grimnir

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2017, 06:54:36 PM

Problem solved!  Running bitcoin-qt with the '-resetguisettings' switch fixed it.  Thanks to MeshCollider on github for the fix! Smiley

Thanks! That helped me with the released version too.

Same for me Smiley
OtisG

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 07:47:58 PM

-resetguisettings worked for me too.
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2017, 08:07:51 PM

-resetguisettings worked for me too.

FYI, this also worked for me on macOS. Self-compiled bitcoind was fine but bitcoin-qt (downloaded or self-compiled) would always crash right before the main screen was supposed to come up. I'm surprised this bug got through testing. The fix is easy and harmless (people can ignore the message regarding the blockchain being re-downloaded) but I suspect quite a few people are going to be frustrated trying to fix it. Oh well.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2017, 08:12:21 PM

This problem has finally been identified and should be fixed in a revision release shortly. Please see the discussion that occurred in today's development meeting for details.

Just to be sure that we got the right issue, did everyone experiencing this have the "at least" fee option set in 0.14 (which has since been removed in 0.15)?

xyzzy099 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 08:18:16 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2017, 01:26:37 AM by xyzzy099

This problem has finally been identified and should be fixed in a revision release shortly. Please see the discussion that occurred in today's development meeting for details.

Just to be sure that we got the right issue, did everyone experiencing this have the "at least" fee option set in 0.14 (efficient has since been removed in 0.15)?

I do not remember ever changing that option.

[EDIT:  The only option I ever change from the default in bitcoin-qt is to enable coin-control features.]

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Coiner.de

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 06:04:47 AM

Just to be sure that we got the right issue, did everyone experiencing this have the "at least" fee option set in 0.14 (which has since been removed in 0.15)?

I don't remember. In which file is it stored? I might have a look at backups.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 02:10:57 PM

I do not remember ever changing that option.

[EDIT:  The only option I ever change from the default in bitcoin-qt is to enable coin-control features.]
Hmm, interesting.

I don't remember. In which file is it stored? I might have a look at backups.
In windows, these settings are stored in registry under the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Bitcoin\Bitcoin-Qt. In Linux, the settings can be found in ~/.config/Bitcoin/Bitcoin-Qt.conf. I don't know about Macs.

Proofer

Activity: 266
Merit: 36

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 03:04:41 PM

Mac OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

After getting the crash discussed in this thread, I tried the suggested remedy:
Applications $ Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-QT -resetguisettings
...which brings up a "Welcome to Bitcoin Core" dialog box that says since this is the first time the program's been launched the entire blockchain will be downloaded. I guess I can do that, but <whine>do I have to</whine>?

Did I misapply the remedy by trying it only after running 0.15.0 without it and getting the crash, instead of on the first run?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 03:23:19 PM

...which brings up a "Welcome to Bitcoin Core" dialog box that says since this is the first time the program's been launched the entire blockchain will be downloaded. I guess I can do that, but <whine>do I have to</whine>?

Did I misapply the remedy by trying it only after running 0.15.0 without it and getting the crash, instead of on the first run?
If you had chose a custom your data directory the first time you ran Bitcoin Core, this behavior is expected. It is to ensure that you choose the same data directory again so that you don't have to download the blockchain again. If you do use the same datadir, then it won't download the blockchain again.

Proofer

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 03:37:00 PM

If you had chose a custom your data directory the first time you ran Bitcoin Core, this behavior is expected. It is to ensure that you choose the same data directory again so that you don't have to download the blockchain again. If you do use the same datadir, then it won't download the blockchain again.
I can't recall what I did the first time I ran Core years ago, but the current dialog box has the "Use the default..." radio button pre-selected, the "Use a custom data directory..." button not selected, and "/Users/[me]/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin" in the field in which a custom directory can be specified. (Entry in that field is disabled unless the custom directory button is clicked.) That is in fact where the data is, and indeed the dialog box says under that field, "Directory already exists. Add /name if you intend to create a new directory here." Then outdented underneath that, "When you click OK, Bitcoin Core will begin to download and process the full Bitcoin block chain..." Is the latter statement inaccurate in my case?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 03:50:27 PM

I can't recall what I did the first time I ran Core years ago, but the current dialog box has the "Use the default..." radio button pre-selected, the "Use a custom data directory..." button not selected, and "/Users/[me]/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin" in the field in which a custom directory can be specified. (Entry in that field is disabled unless the custom directory button is clicked.) That is in fact where the data is, and indeed the dialog box says under that field, "Directory already exists. Add /name if you intend to create a new directory here." Then outdented underneath that, "When you click OK, Bitcoin Core will begin to download and process the full Bitcoin block chain..." Is the latter statement inaccurate in my case?
Yes, that statement is inaccurate. That is there because that dialog usually only appears for the first run of the software, but we recycled it for when you reset the gui settings as well.

Proofer

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 04:02:49 PM

Yes, that statement is inaccurate. That is there because that dialog usually only appears for the first run of the software, but we recycled it for when you reset the gui settings as well.
Thanks; all is now well. One last (I hope!) question: should I use -resetguisettings on subsequent runs of 0.15.0?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 04:12:11 PM

Thanks; all is now well. One last (I hope!) question: should I use -resetguisettings on subsequent runs of 0.15.0?

No, that is unnecssary.

droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 06:23:01 PM

In windows, these settings are stored in registry under the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Bitcoin\Bitcoin-Qt. In Linux, the settings can be found in ~/.config/Bitcoin/Bitcoin-Qt.conf. I don't know about Macs.

For Macs, it's /Users/*username*/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf. If it helps, my config items are rpcuser, rpcpassword, minrelaytxfee, limitfreerelay, txindex, and server.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 06:26:07 PM

For Macs, it's /Users/*username*/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/bitcoin.conf. If it helps, my config items are rpcuser, rpcpassword, minrelaytxfee, limitfreerelay, txindex, and server.
No, not that conf file. That's the Bitcoin Core conf file which the user must create. What I am looking for is the Qt QSettings storage which is not something done by Bitcoin Core but rather handled by the Qt framework.

Coiner.de

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 06:41:26 PM

This was set before:
"nCustomFeeRadio"=dword:00000001

Is this the right setting and value? If it isn't the right setting you have to tell me it's name.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 06:49:17 PM

This was set before:
"nCustomFeeRadio"=dword:00000001

Is this the right setting and value? If it isn't the right setting you have to tell me it's name.
That is the right setting but the wrong value. Just set it to be 0 instead of 1. We will be released 0.15.0.1 shortly which contains a hotfix for this bug.

Coiner.de

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 07:19:14 PM

I meant "Is it the right value to trigger the crash".
You are on the right track in my case then.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 08:41:55 PM

I meant "Is it the right value to trigger the crash".
You are on the right track in my case then.
Yes, 1 is the value that will trigger the crash.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: