Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 08:41:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Web wallet difference (full control vs shared, Vulnerable ..)  (Read 382 times)
kayan1 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 08:27:43 PM

I have some questions about the listed Web wallets. Can someone please help me understand:

1. The bitcoin.org page for some web wallets says "Shared control over your money" (e.g. BitGo, BTC.com) while for Coin.Space says "Full control"

What's the difference?
Why does only one Web wallet (Coin.Space) give you full control, why not others?

Why are these wallets not listed on bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet:
StrongCoin
Blockchain.info
Jaxx

Why are these not listed on bitcoin.com/choose-your-wallet
Coin.Space
Xapo

3. Some web wallets (e.g. Coin.Space, Coinbase) say "Vulnerable environment" while others do not
(e.g. BitGo, BTC.com). Some like Jaxx list "Secure environment".
What is the difference?

4. Some says "Remote app", some do not.
What is the difference?

I’d be thankful for your help!
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:50:05 PM

First and foremost make sure you do have a research first before asking this so you'll have a basic knowledge also. My answer is here.
1. This wallets don't let you export any private keys of this wallet. Because accessing private keys are the only way you can full control your wallet. Differences mentioned already, and Why only this x wallet do and not others? They have their reasons, you ask their developer/team why they do that, I'm just a user too.

2. Because they not fully secured wallet, blockchain listed on bitcoin.org but they removed it when there's a hacked of their wallet few years ago. And jaxx is a multi wallet and too many bugs, and I don't know the other one.

3 and 4. Don't compare the apps in bitcoin.org and bitcoin.com they have their own point of view and they have different admins behind that site. Remote apps means developers of this wallet can remotedly control your coins, so you need to trust them when you use this wallets, vulnerable evironment are wallet that are vulnerable to malware and of course the opposite is not.

Even you can see in some site that this x wallets that are secured but if you are careless using it then its the same thing from unsecured wallet.. And please do your own research first before asking, mostly of those question of yours are totally answered already. And for your more information web wallets are not totally safe because they can be taken down anytime and when the servers are down like their site then theres no way you can use that wallet or send your coins to anyone Unless you fully control the wallet like mentioned above.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 3009

BTC price road to $80k

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2017, 11:52:40 PM

I have some questions about the listed Web wallets. Can someone please help me understand:

1. The bitcoin.org page for some web wallets says "Shared control over your money" (e.g. BitGo, BTC.com) while for Coin.Space says "Full control"

What's the difference?
Why does only one Web wallet (Coin.Space) give you full control, why not others?

Why are these wallets not listed on bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet:
StrongCoin
Blockchain.info
Jaxx

Why are these not listed on bitcoin.com/choose-your-wallet
Coin.Space
Xapo

3. Some web wallets (e.g. Coin.Space, Coinbase) say "Vulnerable environment" while others do not
(e.g. BitGo, BTC.com). Some like Jaxx list "Secure environment".
What is the difference?

4. Some says "Remote app", some do not.
What is the difference?

I’d be thankful for your help!

Honestly i never heard about coin.space but i think the only that i know you will have to fully control about bitcoin wallet is bitcoin qt and electrum and some apps that you can backup your private keys..
But electrum for me is enough the other web wallet honestly you do not have fully control of your wallet because its just a online wallet.. and anytime soon they will crash and gone with your bitcoin.. so to be save better to use a desktop wallet which is more recommended..
Better to stay away to coin.space never heard that thing..

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
kayan1 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 12:59:54 AM

First and foremost make sure you do have a research first before asking this so you'll have a basic knowledge also. My answer is here.
1. This wallets don't let you export any private keys of this wallet. Because accessing private keys are the only way you can full control your wallet. Differences mentioned already, and Why only this x wallet do and not others? They have their reasons, you ask their developer/team why they do that, I'm just a user too.

2. Because they not fully secured wallet, blockchain listed on bitcoin.org but they removed it when there's a hacked of their wallet few years ago. And jaxx is a multi wallet and too many bugs, and I don't know the other one.

3 and 4. Don't compare the apps in bitcoin.org and bitcoin.com they have their own point of view and they have different admins behind that site. Remote apps means developers of this wallet can remotedly control your coins, so you need to trust them when you use this wallets, vulnerable evironment are wallet that are vulnerable to malware and of course the opposite is not.

Even you can see in some site that this x wallets that are secured but if you are careless using it then its the same thing from unsecured wallet.. And please do your own research first before asking, mostly of those question of yours are totally answered already. And for your more information web wallets are not totally safe because they can be taken down anytime and when the servers are down like their site then theres no way you can use that wallet or send your coins to anyone Unless you fully control the wallet like mentioned above.

bL4nkcode, thank you for your help.

So which online/web wallet gives full control (private key access) and is most secure/trusted?

Thanks.
Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 08:20:40 AM

bL4nkcode, thank you for your help.

So which online/web wallet gives full control (private key access) and is most secure/trusted?

Thanks.

Coin.space is definitely not the only one, i'm not sure why bitcoin.org hasn't got others listed.

A very obvious example that comes to mind would be blockchain.info, even though they recently removed the "export private key" functionality which was initially the easiest way to get your privkey, you are able to use the 12 word mnemonic to recovery your wallet and extract the contents of your wallet using any BIP39 supported wallet. There are also chrome extensions you can get which you control your private keys as well, like Jaxx and whatnot. But these are even less secure than blockchain.info etc.

Honestly shared wallets like Bitgo and btc.com are fine too, except i would recommend not storing anything over 0.1 BTC with them.

If you are storing anything over 0.5 BTC make sure you use desktop clients instead. Copay, electrum make the process so much simpler.
carlfebz2

Activity: 2968
Merit: 730

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Seconded,this post have answered it all concisely among the difference between those wallets and also to the sites that are referring too and as being said they do have different writer/owner or whatsoever which they do really list their own preferred wallet. They can add up and delete anytime they like.When you search up things there are wallets which you do have the possession of your keys but web wallets is a different story you don't have those keys this is why it is somehow risky to use their service.

kayan1 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 06:27:20 PM

Thanks to all who are helping on this post. You are awesome ! Smiley
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 07:15:18 PM

There can be lots of politics involved with those listing on bitcoin.com and bitcoin.org

Full control = you will be the only one who will hold private key of that bitcoin address or none of your wallet details will be shared with wallet server

Shared control = coinbase, xapo are few examples where you can't import or export your bitcoin address. Which means you can't get private key of your bitcoin address.

Jaxx and Electrum are few examples of wallet that gives full control over your bitcoin.
kayan1 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 10:13:30 PM

There can be lots of politics involved with those listing on bitcoin.com and bitcoin.org

Full control = you will be the only one who will hold private key of that bitcoin address or none of your wallet details will be shared with wallet server

Shared control = coinbase, xapo are few examples where you can't import or export your bitcoin address. Which means you can't get private key of your bitcoin address.

Jaxx and Electrum are few examples of wallet that gives full control over your bitcoin.

Thanks. I'm current reading about Jaxx, and some people are concerned that it's not open-source. What do you think?

Electrum vs Armory?

Any thoughts on Strongcoin.com? Is it HD Wallet?
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:27:44 PM

Thanks. I'm current reading about Jaxx, and some people are concerned that it's not open-source. What do you think?
It is a big concern if the wallet is not open-source as you never know what happens behind the graphical interface.Of course people wouldn't trust closed source wallets as much as they are happy with the one's they can verify the source code for.Again,it is totally subjective.

Electrum vs Armory?

Electrum anyday! Open source and with multiple layers of security they bring the best out of a desktop wallet with easy of use.I don't have any idea about Stongcoin.
kayan1 (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:48:13 PM

It is a big concern if the wallet is not open-source as you never know what happens behind the graphical interface.Of course people wouldn't trust closed source wallets as much as they are happy with the one's they can verify the source code for.Again,it is totally subjective.

Electrum vs Armory?

Electrum anyday! Open source and with multiple layers of security they bring the best out of a desktop wallet with easy of use.I don't have any idea about Stongcoin.

Thank you very much!
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:42:39 AM

Just to be clear here. Bitcoin.org is a good informational site but it doesn't list all the possible options out there.

Coin.space is the only wallet provider that is listed on bitcoin.org that gives you full control. There are many more out there that you can also use, for example blockchain.info even though the process to export your private keys has become more of a hassle now that the export function is gone.

But stay away from the vulnerable ones, and the centralized ones. Aka coinbase, xapo, etc. You don't hold your own private keys, if they get hacked then you are screwed. If they scam, you are screwed. A lot of things could happen to your coins that negatively affect you.

Smiley
kayan1 (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:08:52 PM

Just to be clear here. Bitcoin.org is a good informational site but it doesn't list all the possible options out there.

Coin.space is the only wallet provider that is listed on bitcoin.org that gives you full control. There are many more out there that you can also use, for example blockchain.info even though the process to export your private keys has become more of a hassle now that the export function is gone.

But stay away from the vulnerable ones, and the centralized ones. Aka coinbase, xapo, etc. You don't hold your own private keys, if they get hacked then you are screwed. If they scam, you are screwed. A lot of things could happen to your coins that negatively affect you.

timerland, thanks for the guidance.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: