Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:24:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin as Ransom  (Read 3077 times)
lighpulsar07

Activity: 518
Merit: 271

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 05:47:41 AM

What if you had, let's say....5000 Bitcoins in your custody and suddenly someone demanded it as a ransom in exchange for someone very important to you, would you make the exchange?
Well first, how the kidnapper know that i have huge amount bitcoins without telling him nor see the bitcoin address where the BTC5000 at secondly how can i identify who the victim was which he used as a ransom against me? well if that is my family i will definitely give him the 5000 bitcoins.
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:59:46 AM

What if you had, let's say....5000 Bitcoins in your custody and suddenly someone demanded it as a ransom in exchange for someone very important to you, would you make the exchange?
Nope, I will not do it and i will immediately go to the authority to report that kind of incident and i will cooperate with them and we will try to make a smart plan which we can take the person that is very important for me without risking my 5000 bitcoins because that is a lot of money and also a huge potential in long term so i will not.
MostHigh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:11:19 AM

I dont think that kidnapper will know you own some bitcoin unless you give them a good clue to think so Grin Grin Grin
Seansky

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:12:33 AM

Nope, I will not do it and i will immediately go to the authority to report that kind of incident and i will cooperate with them and we will try to make a smart plan which we can take the person that is very important for me without risking my 5000 bitcoins because that is a lot of money and also a huge potential in long term so i will not.
Really? Even if you can report it to the authority how will you deal with it if the victim will instantly kill the person that is important to you when he senses that you reported it to the police? Even if that is the case, I don't think that cooperating with the kidnapper is wise so I might try your method even if it is risky. We might not now because in some cases kidnapper kills the hostage when ransom is given.
bubblebit

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:14:07 AM

That is a huge amounts of bitcoin 5000. If I do have that numbers and my family is in dangerous situation eventhough it would hurt me much I will follow what the kidnapers demanded for the safety of that important someone. Maybe if he got 5000 bitcoin maybe he/she is into business. I can replaced it in no time. Life is more important than bitcoin.
pearlmen

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:21:02 AM

When it comes to kidnapping, it's a matter of life and death and this is something I don't toy with but from where I come from, I don't think anybody can kidnap and then ask for bitcoin becuase I doubt if they know what bitcoin is all about and how functional it could be of they are to ask for it. If I have the amount, I would pay for a loved one.
PointHope

Activity: 317
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Kind of a moot question.

Any criminal with half a brain would know about the transparency of bitcoin transactions. The FBI Interpol would be on them like stink on a cigar

This is why  criminals ask for crypto like monero or something similar, not bitcoin.

Bitcoin is not attractive for criminal enterprise.

This notion should be nipped in the bud as corrupt government will want to step in to "protect" you with their heavily armed jack-booted thugs.
romecheo

Activity: 476
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 11:55:33 AM

If someone are very much dear to me, then there is no reason that I wouldn't give anything i have to protect them.

First rule: everyone has the right for anonymity or privacy. used it.

Second rule: don' show your cards, that would attract criminals. If you possess a thousand of Bitcoin, keep it with yourself.   

▀▀████████████████▄▄         H A V E N      /      HOLD HAVEN. EARN BNB!         ▄▄████████████████▀▀
Community Driven DeFi Project Built on BSC
|    Whitepaper    |      Telegram      |       Twitter       |      [ SafeHaven.Finance ]      |     Instagram     |        Reddit        |      YouTube      |
MackOfAllTrades

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:01:44 PM

I will negotiate if they will accept some altcoin instead.  Grin

Kidding aside, I will give it to them. Money can be earned but life is not.

Cheers  Grin

shinno

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:11:13 PM

The first thing is why do they know you're holding a lot of bitcoin like that ? So the area will decrease down to your family or maybe your friends. So if i had that much bitcoin, i would save it for myself man. Even if you have to do that to save your family or close friend, by looking at the bitcoin price at the present, dude no one can handle that much money for you in one night. So i think it's a hard thing.
jennywhzz

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 02:25:20 PM

When it comes to kidnapping, it's a matter of life and death and this is something I don't toy with but from where I come from, I don't think anybody can kidnap and then ask for bitcoin becuase I doubt if they know what bitcoin is all about and how functional it could be of they are to ask for it. If I have the amount, I would pay for a loved one.

Everything is digital and bitcoin can be used as Ransom as it happened a few months back when a few people introduced a virus which locks the computer and ask for some money in the form of bitcoin and those who paid, on their computer was unlocked.
JohnBitCo

Activity: 2030
Merit: 356

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 02:32:41 PM

Everything is digital and bitcoin can be used as Ransom as it happened a few months back when a few people introduced a virus which locks the computer and ask for some money in the form of bitcoin and those who paid, on their computer was unlocked.

That Virus was named as "Ransomeware" and it was the first virus of its type which really attacked the whole world and even the world biggest multinationals we not saved from this. No one would have though this could have happened and those who made this and got a lot of bitcoin from this, remained anonymous as all the transactions were in bitcoins and no intelligence agency can track them or sue them.
Wowcoin

Activity: 910
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 02:36:09 PM

The first question here is how did that kidnapper knew I have a lot of Bitcoins. Second, I don't need to exchange my bitcoins because he is demanding for bitcoin and not for fiat, either way, I will not find any exchanger that will be exchanging that massive number of bitcoins.
Yes maybe the kidnapper is a close friend or family member thats why they know that you have a bitcoin.
But one of my family get on trouble i think i will ask to kidnapper that i want to him in person including my loved ones.
Shimeka30

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 02:59:54 PM

Your question was not realistic pal, 5000BTC is a huge amount if I am going to convert it into my currency. In the first place, all of us here if you are deeply knowledgeable in bitcoin individually we have our own password and private into our wallet addresses. Probably all of us here also are not sharing our password and the private unless you tell your private to anyone to whom you din't know it personally.
heitorlinks

Activity: 33

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 03:16:49 PM

Of course, money is for living and without life, it does not need money.
lixer

Activity: 2548
Merit: 586

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 09:01:57 AM

Well first, how the kidnapper know that i have huge amount bitcoins without telling him nor see the bitcoin address where the BTC5000 at secondly how can i identify who the victim was which he used as a ransom against me? well if that is my family i will definitely give him the 5000 bitcoins.
To be very honest, my mind is stuck at the amount. Honestly, I don't even have that much bitcoins and trying to feel how it would feel like to have that much amount and what a heart breaking moment that would be to give away 5000 bitcoins. Would the person even survive?

Hasbro27

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 09:08:31 AM

suppose it's like that and ask for a ransom to me then I will pay, what else is at stake my nearest person, because in my opinion the most valuable property is the family
haroldtee

Activity: 644
Merit: 299

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 09:37:36 AM

Apparently this must have been a crazy move by someone close to me. Let us even assume the person is just demanding 5000 bitcoin randomly, I am sure he must be stupid enough not to know that 5000bitcoin isn't a small amount of money to come by. Nevertheless, I can't fall for stupid pranks of such. I'd rather let the feds do their work. Even if my mum was kidnapped, she would tell me first not to be stupid enough to fall for such demand.
judeafante

Activity: 2254
Merit: 258

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 09:51:33 AM

That someone knows you very well that you have that amount of Bitcoin because Bitcoin is decentralized and unless you flaunt it, there's no way they can trace who owns those Bitcoin, I would have to cross the bridge when I get there because right now I don't have that amount of Bitcoin not even 100 bitcoin.

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 10:01:52 AM

That would be a much prize being demanded I can't even have a solid 1bitcoin in my wallet then they demand by that, it's really a big amount it worth billions. There is no case if they want a ransom for a bitcoin but I think it would only be a matter of choice by the demander or the one being demanded.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: