Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:56:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do exchanges have only one adress for their Token or several? ERC20  (Read 396 times)
Croin (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 10:10:23 AM

Hi guys,

how can someone distinguish if the adress is an exchange or not? How does it works, is there a possibility to distinguish whether the token! is on exchange or in a private wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
keyrun

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 11:06:04 PM

Hi guys,

how can someone distinguish if the adress is an exchange or not? How does it works, is there a possibility to distinguish whether the token! is on exchange or in a private wallet?

If the exchange generates you a private address, there's no way anyone would know what's address it is.
But when you withdraw from exchange, it is generally done from an specific address/addressees which may reveal the origin of the transaction.
posternat

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 04:28:02 PM

At that root level I'm not sure. There is a level of decentralization that is lost when an exchange steps in. I haven't actually started one or touched it very much but it would seem that at the client level the addresses are linked to a user via a database. I noticed the other day using localbitcoins that they going to have been deposited to one of my addresses had been withdrawn within 10 minutes, I wasn't worried about it and obviously the balance still showed on my account, but you can tell that there's a lot of movement is used and each exchange might do it differently.
Croin (OP)

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 11:09:16 PM

Yeah bcs for me it seems like the exchanges are having mostly one big adress where they are storing all the tokens.
I've seen it after large ICO where for example you could simply see 20% LISK being on Poloniex as it was simply one adress. 

But it seems with the "pay in" adresses there is a difference.
gomei

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 02:35:35 AM

Yeah bcs for me it seems like the exchanges are having mostly one big adress where they are storing all the tokens.
I've seen it after large ICO where for example you could simply see 20% LISK being on Poloniex as it was simply one adress. 

But it seems with the "pay in" adresses there is a difference.

Yes, that is right, so it is impossible to know the owner of one address in the exchange platform, but I think with some technical help from the exchange, you may do that since almost all the accounts are certified, but I do not think the platform will offer that help.

.Ambit.    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
   Become part of the mining family   
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
Nicol3

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:08:47 AM

That's the advantage of cryptocurrencies, we get to have privacy. And I don't think they would be able to distinguish if it's from an exchange or not but unless there is a pattern though.

3months18w

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:28:34 AM

Hi guys,

I don't think there is a way to distinguish.Maybe that's why block chain attracts so many people around.

guoyu78

Activity: 1190
Merit: 541

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 02:58:26 PM

One of the advantages of any cryptocurrency is privacy. No one can know the owner of address.
Technically it doesn't make a lot of sense to make too many movements as that would slow things down and possibly accumulate fees, but at the same time you do want to consolidate especially at the root level, I would venture a guess that most exchanges have a minimum of four addresses at the very bottom. One for Cold Storage, one as a backup in case anything happens , what that acts as a savings account, and a hot wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: