Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 09:26:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sidechain Air-Drops  (Read 240 times)
masterofmyself (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 01:20:33 PM

Anyone know if it is technologically possible to airdrop new tokens on Bitcoin holders if those tokens are to exist on a sidechain? After the BCash fork, I noticed everyone who didn't care a thing about BCash referred to it as a "Bitcoin dividend." It dawned on me that this would be an excellent feature if new projects could piggyback on Bitcoin's network effect by airdropping their projects' tokens on current Bitcoin holders. If it could be done without hardforking, and instead be done as a snapshot-style airdrop where the project is built as a sidechain, this could be a pretty big deal. One of gold's critiques is that it doesn't produce income. Bitcoin can (further) set itself apart from gold if this can be done.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 01:29:56 PM

i find the airdrop generally a flawed distribution technique. mostly because it kills the project or at least harms the market price of it greatly. but also because the distribution is bad. some of them are first come first serve basis of small amounts while the owner keeps the majority to dump himself. but most are based on what amount of bitcoin you hold. in other words rich gets richer and the poor just envies them!

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
masterofmyself (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 01:57:30 PM

Perhaps that's true, but isn't that the case with any stock that you hold that produces dividends? The only way to get that dividend is if you hold the stock. Why is that flawed? I think it's a great way for projects to have a longer-term survival rate if they can piggyback on a network effect that already exists instead of attempting to build their own over time.

Do you happen to know the answer to my initial question?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: