Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:01:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone mining on AM4 B350? (can't do 4gpus)  (Read 986 times)
rdluffy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1349

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 02:47:21 PM

Guys, I have  a MSI b350 Mortar Arctic and I tried everything to have 3 or 4 gpus running but without success

Anyone can give me a tip, because I want to mining with CPU and GPUs

With 2 gpus it's fine, Windows 10

3 Gpus is not working with windows 7, windows 10, I already tried to set Above 4g on board, I tried everything and a lot with drivers, I change the Slots, the risers are fine, my PSU is right

When windows is loading suddenly freeze and reboot, the main error is something about: Nvlddmkm

But the weird fact is I tried SimpleMining and works, but I can't mine on CPU

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
mirny
Legendary

Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 06:31:13 PM

Well, yes three, or four cards isn't that much.
But I would advice you to try some Linux too.
I have very nice results with Ubuntu.

This is my signature...
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 08:43:35 PM

It's not Windows - it's that very few of the AM4 socket motherboards are intended to run more than 2 or PERHAPS 3 GPUs at a time.

The Biostar "BTC" model seems to be the major exception so far.

Windows 7 is easily capable of running 4 GPUS out of the box if the MOTHERBOARD supports that (as I recall it's actually a DRIVER limitation at 8 GPUs, not an actual Windows limitation).

It might be worth trying one of the "mining-specific" Linux distributions, sometimes the actual issue is the BIOS on the motherboard, which LINUX tends to just IGNORE so it can talk direct to the hardware once it's past the initial boot stage while Windows prefers to work WITH the BIOS even when it's less efficient and can cause issues.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:23:02 AM

I have to disagree and I have to ask:  have you tried this?  I have and the issue isn't 3 versus 4 cards, as every AM4 MSI B350 board I've tried handles 5 cards without any problem.  The issue is getting 6 or more cards to be recognized and that is a Windows issue.  Specifically, build 1507 doesn't work very well at all, build 1511 is rock solid with 6 cards, build 1607(?) does 5 and sometimes does 6 but maybe you have to make use of one of the M.2 slots + adapter.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
R0mi

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:28:57 AM

Guys, I have  a MSI b350 Mortar Arctic and I tried everything to have 3 or 4 gpus running but without success

Anyone can give me a tip, because I want to mining with CPU and GPUs

With 2 gpus it's fine, Windows 10

3 Gpus is not working with windows 7, windows 10, I already tried to set Above 4g on board, I tried everything and a lot with drivers, I change the Slots, the risers are fine, my PSU is right

When windows is loading suddenly freeze and reboot, the main error is something about: Nvlddmkm

But the weird fact is I tried SimpleMining and works, but I can't mine on CPU

Use XMR-Stak to mine on the CPU, you'll be pleasantly surprised.  If you are having issues getting more than 5 cards recognized (Nvidia) under Windows 10:

First check what build version of Windows 10 you are using.  If you can find an OEM version of 1507 load that and update to 1511 and the freeze all future Windows OS updates.  Okay?  Don't allow Windows to update to build 1703 for example.

When you've managed that, with all of your Nvidia cards connected to their risers, use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all traces of the Nvidia driver.  Restart.  Reinstall the Nvidia driver.  Wait about 5 minutes.

You should be golden.

I am assuming you already updated your AMD chipset drivers, your Ethernet drivers, and so forth.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 11:17:13 PM

Windows 10 isn't a good choice for mining on in the first place - 7 is noticeably more stable at this point and a lot more "settled", if you decide you HAVE to use Windows for a mining machine.

Most AM4 motherboards at this point (possibly all) DO include drivers for Windows 7, even though Mickey$loth might not "officially" support the use of Ryzen on 7 for stupid monopolistic reasons AMD has seen the light as have the MB makers and DO in fact support it at least for now.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
R0mi

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:07:28 AM

Windows 10 isn't a good choice for mining on in the first place - 7 is noticeably more stable at this point and a lot more "settled", if you decide you HAVE to use Windows for a mining machine.

Most AM4 motherboards at this point (possibly all) DO include drivers for Windows 7, even though Mickey$loth might not "officially" support the use of Ryzen on 7 for stupid monopolistic reasons AMD has seen the light as have the MB makers and DO in fact support it at least for now.

I respect all your other posts which I have followed for some time.  But the advice to use Win 7 is just crazy, unless you purposely want to limit yourself to 1-5 gpu's.  If that is your goal, cool.  I've mined with Windows 7 as well.  But I don't find it more stable than Windows 10, at least not once you shut down the damn Windows 10 updates. Bitcointalk has good threads on how to stop Win10 updates.  Windows 8.1 is far, far more stable for mining than Windows 7 and it boots up in a fraction of the time if you are using an SSD.

Windows 7 was never noticeably more stable in my experience for 4, 5, 6 gpus - not for Ether, not for Monero, not for Zcash.

If you don't want to use Windows for mining, fine.  I understand that.  But you can get high hash rates using Windows, and Windows 10 is what you want if you are going for 4+ gpu's.  You are never going to get a stable 8 gpu RX470/480/570/580 rig running under Windows 7.  You can do so with the Asus Z270-A, and it is pretty easy to do if you use Windows 10.  Yes, that is an Intel build, but AMD4 boards with Windows 10 will easily handle 5 gpu's. The sixth can be tricky as I mentioned.

You didn't answer my question:  have you actually set up a Windows 10 miner on an AMD4 motherboard?  Your comments suggest to me that you haven't.

No disrespect intended, QuintLeo.  You are on my short list of people whose posts I regularly follow.

toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:13:46 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2017, 04:28:13 AM by toptek

I am, did you turn on miner mode in the bios and you might even have to plug power to the board even with raisers ..... and update the bios if it's this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138456&cm_re=BIOSTAR_TB350-BTC_AM4_AMD_B350_SATA_6Gb%2fs_USB_3.1-_-13-138-456-_-Product

an like R0mi said windows 10 is more stable an i took it a step further an used a custom made install.wim file and using https://www.ntlite.com/ to customize it then winPE installed it with a USB SSD drive or you can deploy that over your  network to your rigs.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 08:20:23 AM

Windows 7 does NOT limit you to 5 GPUS.
I have ZERO CLUE where that lie is originating from - I've seen way too many folks talking about running 6 card riser rigs successfully on 7 over the years.

I have no experience trying to mine on Windows 8.x - the ONE AND ONLY time I tried to use it (it came on my "Avatar" pre-configured mining system), the UI was so ANTI-intuitive and so ANTI-user-friendly I couldn't even figure out if the mining software that was supposed to be pre-installed was ON the machine, much less how to get it configured and running.''

I've not worked with an AM4 motherboard at this time, as I can't find one that does what I WANT it to do for a reasonable cost *AND* Ryzen pricing is still on the "too high" side for a dedicated mining rig, even the 1200.
 I HAVE done a lot of research into them, both for "future" mining systems and for options for my next "gaming" system.

I HAVE tried to get Win 10 working reliably on other hardware - and it's been nothing but PAIN and CRASH CITY to the point that even my next GAMING system is going to be Windows 7 and I don't intend to ever bother LOOKING at bloody Windows 10 ever again.

Not that I class 7 as stable or reliable, but it's certainly been a lot more so in MY experience than 10 - WITH 4 GPUs in quite a few of my systems, including mixed AMD and Nvidia systems (the ONE place Windows beats LINUX hands down, especially with the state of AMDGPU-PRO at this point on LINUX).

I should probably check out ntlite - I've used a couple of it's ancestors back in the day, but forgot about it at some point.

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 02:20:46 AM

I installed 2 more 3GB 1060s in my Windows 7 rig today.

The 4 GPU limit that people often refer to is a limitation with AMD drivers on Windows 7. That's why the 6x GPU mod exists. Many people used it successfully with 7000 series cards and the R7/R9 200 series. Users with RX 400/500 cards have had mixed results, and I'm not too sure about the R7/R9 300 series since that was during my hiatus.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:12:30 PM

3xx series R7/R9 cards for the most part were the same GPU as the corresponding 2xx series card (the 380/380x was the exception, being based on the 285 "Tonga" GPU instead of the 280/280x "Tahiti").

They should work the same as the 2xx series except for having slightly faster RAM and minor BIOS changes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: