Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:39:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Address Reuse? How can I hide activity or at least put many layers?  (Read 270 times)
relentless1 (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 03:28:31 PM

I'm a beginner but can see the problem. What is the best practice to try and do this?

My Trezor device is coming shortly and I want to put all my BTC there.

Currently the BTC is on my laptop which was sent from my online exchange to 1 address.

Should I worry about the exchange getting hacked which will reveal the destination address of my laptop which will then lead to my final address which is the trezor device wallet.

What do I need to do to add layers?

Could something like this this work?

Exchange > Address (Office computer (own office)) > To a personal laptop newly bought > Then send to my trezor device and eat the fees along the way?

And if anyone tries to rob me at gun point, I can say that I have spent the money on wards when i sent to the laptop wallet which in effect stops them trying for the trezor wallet.

Sorry if this sound silly but Im paranoid about security now. Its like putting money under your mattress. Please advice best steps?
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 03:32:18 PM

I'm a beginner but can see the problem. What is the best practice to try and do this?

My Trezor device is coming shortly and I want to put all my BTC there.

Currently the BTC is on my laptop which was sent from my online exchange to 1 address.

Should I worry about the exchange getting hacked which will reveal the destination address of my laptop which will then lead to my final address which is the trezor device wallet.

What do I need to do to add layers?

Could something like this this work?

Exchange > Address (Office computer (own office)) > To a personal laptop newly bought > Then send to my trezor device and eat the fees along the way?

And if anyone tries to rob me at gun point, I can say that I have spent the money on wards when i sent to the laptop wallet which in effect stops them trying for the trezor wallet.

Sorry if this sound silly but Im paranoid about security now. Its like putting money under your mattress. Please advice best steps?

Uhm, no, if i get your question right, you're worried about nothing. If you sent your bitcoins from exchange X to hardware wallet Y, both your private key and public key will be renewed. If the exchange gets hacked, there is no way they could get your bitcoin, unless you EXPORTED the "exchange wallet" into something like electrum.

If you are talking about "privacy", , no this wouldn't really work, since you can easily follow the bitcoin. you would need to use a bitcoin tumbler for that. As follows Exchange -> Tumbler/Mixer -> Trezor.

for more information about mixing, https://bitmixer.io/why.html , https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mixing_service, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin_mixer

Be aware that alot of bitcoin mixers are scams. Only use highly trusted ones.

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 05:05:44 PM

Instead of using a tumbler which could in theory be compromised wouldnt you be easier just installing something like jaxx and then shapeshifting to something else and then back again? The you can either keep it on your jaxx wallet or send it somewhere else.

Either way i think you might be a bit paranoid though. The chances of an exchange getting hacked , your details leaked and then someone come after you are pretty slim. Theres no way they can be sure you own the bitcoin after a few transactions.

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 05:13:19 PM

There is no need to worry about here as no details are stored with regards to your laptop address and the exchange getting hacked only matters if you have funds in that exchange and it has nothing to do with your personal details or your laptop. IT's your trezor wallet and your private key of that address that needs to be protected. Even if anything happens to your laptop, your funds will still be safe.

Check this manual: https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-user/securitybestpractices.html

TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 7042

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 05:15:07 PM

Instead of using a tumbler which could in theory be compromised wouldnt you be easier just installing something like jaxx and then shapeshifting to something else and then back again? The you can either keep it on your jaxx wallet or send it somewhere else.
How is using ShapeShift better than using a tumbler/mixer?

1. Mixers are made to anonymize your coins and keep your info private.

2. ShapeShift was made as a way of exchanging coins. They have your IP, and they can easily track your transactions and cooperate with the government by sharing with them all your history of transactions. Besides, they can also be easily compromised.

Either way i think you might be a bit paranoid though. The chances of an exchange getting hacked , your details leaked and then someone come after you are pretty slim. Theres no way they can be sure you own the bitcoin after a few transactions.
Which can't happen with a mixer, since most of them don't keep any data about your transactions and users.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
helloeverybody
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 05:22:15 PM

How is using ShapeShift better than using a tumbler/mixer?

1. Mixers are made to anonymize your coins and keep your info private.

2. ShapeShift was made as a way of exchanging coins. They have your IP, and they can easily track your transactions and cooperate with the government by sharing with them all your history of transactions. Besides, they can also be easily compromised.

Which can't happen with a mixer, since most of them don't keep any data about your transactions and users.

Yeah i know tumblers are good at what they do but you've got to take the risk that the site your using isnt going to run off with your bitcoins. Shapeshifting is an easier option imo but if your that paranoid that the exchange you sent them from, the jaxx shapeshift and the goverment are all chasing after your bitcoins then yeah go with the tumbler.

Better than that then use a more anonymous coin such as monero or dash which again you can shapeshift to easily.

TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 7042

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 06:07:33 PM

Yeah i know tumblers are good at what they do but you've got to take the risk that the site your using isnt going to run off with your bitcoins. Shapeshifting is an easier option imo but if your that paranoid that the exchange you sent them from, the jaxx shapeshift and the goverment are all chasing after your bitcoins then yeah go with the tumbler.

Better than that then use a more anonymous coin such as monero or dash which again you can shapeshift to easily.

It's not really paranoia. OP is asking for a way of hiding his transactions so no one can track them back to him.

about ShapeShift:

Since ShapeShift does not obscure information, it would be a horrible idea to use it as a mixer or similar. We state this in our Terms of Service. Further, we will always cooperate with reasonable requests for this information (from law enforcement or private investigation, we make no distinction).
Taken from this reddit comment from the ShapeShift team.

A post where someone is easily making progress on tracking a hacker from his transactions made with ShapeShift.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/544y1p/some_blockchain_analysis_of_the_current_dos/
https://np.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/59adpy/ethereum_network_attackers_ip_address_is_traceable/d96z9sa/

about the risk of using mixers, you don't need to send 50BTC at once and hope that you don't get scammed. You can easily split your transactions in small amounts and do one at a time. If OP really wants privacy, he will probably use a method that really WORKS, regardless of its difficulty.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
helloeverybody
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 06:25:33 PM

It's not really paranoia. OP is asking for a way of hiding his transactions so no one can track them back to him.

about ShapeShift:

Since ShapeShift does not obscure information, it would be a horrible idea to use it as a mixer or similar. We state this in our Terms of Service. Further, we will always cooperate with reasonable requests for this information (from law enforcement or private investigation, we make no distinction).
Taken from this reddit comment from the ShapeShift team.

A post where someone is easily making progress on tracking a hacker from his transactions made with ShapeShift.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/544y1p/some_blockchain_analysis_of_the_current_dos/
https://np.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/59adpy/ethereum_network_attackers_ip_address_is_traceable/d96z9sa/

about the risk of using mixers, you don't need to send 50BTC at once and hope that you don't get scammed. You can easily split your transactions in small amounts and do one at a time. If OP really wants privacy, he will probably use a method that really WORKS, regardless of its difficulty.

I cant argue that your wrong because your not. Mixing is the best option with bitcoin. I hadnt read that thread before, I wasnt even aware that shapeshift would release details on any transactions but apparently they do. Everydays a learning day =p

Youd still be better with alts if privacy is your main concern though. Id rather have my money in bitcoin for stability reasons but if there's a high risk of being traced id go with something else.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: