Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:39:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Pcie mobo, add 6 gpu Mining (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5)  (Read 1744 times)
azher91 (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 09:30:36 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2017, 10:19:13 PM by azher91

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and new to mining, i need to know something before i buy off my whole rig, i had an old Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 which i ordered before for gaming back in the day, now i wanted to mine with this mobo, i ordered (2) gtx 1060 6gb currently, the mobo has 4 pcie slots

https://static.gigabyte.com/Product/2/2958/1053.jpg

can i anyone tell me if using a 1x 3 pcie riser will make it work?

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1K6JrRFXXXXXZXpXXq6xXFXXXZ/PCIe-PCI-E-Riser-Card-1-to-3-PCI-express-1X-slots-Riser-Card-Switch-Multiplier.jpg

Also i had a 80 bronze 600w psu, i will connect two psu's using an add2psu, can anyone tell me the adequate psu power required so i can buy the next psu

Thank you!
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 09:44:10 PM

That motherboard actually looks like it has 5 usable PCIe slots. (3 physical x16 slots, 1 physical x1, and 1 physical x4).

If the 2 1060s will be your only cards in that rig, you should be able to use 2 of the physical x16 slots without risers. (Making some kind of custom enclosure would be nice, though.)

The card you linked isn't necessary (and alone, it wouldn't be sufficient either) for your current purposes. You have enough PCIe slots for now. Instead, you may be looking for risers such as this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119888

These allow you to connect a PCIe x16 graphics card to a PCIe x1 slot on the motherboard. If you expand your rig, you will definitely want these. Having just one for your current plan of 2x 1060s would probably make cooling easier, but isn't absolutely necessary.

Please list your other components, in addition to the two 1060s and this motherboard. Do you have any other graphics cards? What kind of CPU do you have?

So far, I'm thinking a high-quality 600W PSU should have no problem running this rig with 2x 1060s (assuming you have the necessary connectors/adapters), but I'd like to find out more about the rest of your components to get a better picture.

What kind of PSU is it, exactly?

If you plan on purchasing an additional PSU, your requirements depend largely on how far you plan on expanding your rig. The general advice I can give you without that information is to avoid cheaping out on either of your power supplies. A bad PSU can cause a myriad of problems.
PSUs originally manufactured by Seasonic or FSP are typically of high quality. (High-end models from Corsair, EVGA, XFX, etc. come to mind.) Although there's always a chance that any PSU can end up being a dud, there are many models that are usually better, and some that are usually riskier.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 10:25:18 PM

That motherboard actually looks like it has 5 usable PCIe slots. (3 physical x16 slots, 1 physical x1, and 1 physical x4).

Yes you are right

If the 2 1060s will be your only cards in that rig, you should be able to use 2 of the physical x16 slots without risers. (Making some kind of custom enclosure would be nice, though.)

I am planning to order 4 more cards, hence the question

The card you linked isn't necessary (and alone, it wouldn't be sufficient either) for your current purposes. You have enough PCIe slots for now. Instead, you may be looking for risers such as this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119888

I will order 6 of these risers  & 1x 3 riser to make all 6 work, i hope you get what iam saying.

These allow you to connect a PCIe x16 graphics card to a PCIe x1 slot on the motherboard. If you expand your rig, you will definitely want these. Having just one for your current plan of 2x 1060s would probably make cooling easier, but isn't absolutely necessary.

Already ordered 2 usb risers currently

Please list your other components, in addition to the two 1060s and this motherboard. Do you have any other graphics cards? What kind of CPU do you have?

I dont have any other graphic cards, these are the only two and i plan on ordering 4 more cards to complete the rig, CPU is Intel Xeon E5540 processor 2.53GHz /LGA1366/8MB/Quad-Core/FSB 1366MHz Server cpu

I am planning to run the rig via linux. simple mining OS  

So far, I'm thinking a high-quality 600W PSU should have no problem running this rig with 2x 1060s (assuming you have the necessary connectors/adapters), but I'd like to find out more about the rest of your components to get a better picture.

What kind of PSU is it, exactly?

DeepCool PSU 600 Bronze Rated, that was the best option, i had avail here, need to know which psu should i buy next? and how many watts for six 1060 6gb to mine ether

not sure with the necessary connectors, what else would i be required rather than the standard that comes with psu itself

I understand the point of the PSU but this comes with a 1 year warranty, and i had already purchased it for gaming, i read the reviews arent too shabby for the unit but i cant just let the brand new psu go, so for now iam trying to go with what i have and add another good psu like seasonic/evga for the rest of the cards?

There is no guarantee that the 1 to 3 x1 "splitter" will work with your motherboard. Just make sure that you have a plan should that be a case. Many people have had success with them, but many have not.

Suppose that your CPU may draw up to around 80W (based on the TDP), and 1060s, when pegged at stock settings, typically go about 120W.

Out of habit, I would use a higher quality PSU for the primary (directly connected to the motherboard), and if you choose to make use of your current one, I would use that as a secondary one only for cards/risers.

Your current 600W PSU should be capable of running 3 of the 1060s (3 risers and PCIe power connections on the card) alone. 120W*3=360W << 600W. You may be able to push it to 4, but I wouldn't. Perhaps you could also use this PSU for fans and whatnot.

I'd recommend purchasing a high-quality PSU rated around 700W or 750W for the motherboard/cpu/etc. and the remaining 3x 1060s. (Assuming you don't have a highly unusual number/configuration of drives, RAM, fans, etc.) You could probably get away with a high-quality 600W unit for the motherboard, but I'm bumping it up a bit just in case. The general rule for 24/7 operation with consumer PSUs is to have your estimates avoid straying too far beyond 70% of the rating.

You will want a PSU with plenty of 6 pin or 6(+2) pin PCIe power connectors, if possible. There are adapters that allow you to use 4-pin molex connectors, should you run out. (2x 4-pin molex to 1x 6 or 8 pin PCIe power). I'm not sure if the risers you purchased accept 6-pin, molex, or SATA power, so that's something to check.

Keep in mind that using a dual PSU configuration adds an extra point of failure. (I.e. if EITHER power supply were to fail, it may down the entire rig, and possibly cause damage to other components.) I don't have confidence in DeepCool, but I haven't heard about them. In the end, it's up to you.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
azher91 (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 10:34:36 PM

For instance if it doesn't go down with the current mobo, i will build another fresh rig off a new mobo i suppose, but for now lets go with the flow

So currently i can run 2 cards and the mobo with the 600w psu and once the other cards arrive with the evga psu, i switch this psu to only run the cards

I bought sata risers as i heard molex connectors burn after a while

Thank you for the support, i understand its a risk that i am taking, i hope all goes well but i need to know if one of the supply goes down how will it burn the whole thing assuming i have 2 psu's for 2 different roles? one is powering the mobo and 3 psu and one is powering only the risers & cards,
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 03:00:23 AM

For instance if it doesn't go down with the current mobo, i will build another fresh rig off a new mobo i suppose, but for now lets go with the flow

So currently i can run 2 cards and the mobo with the 600w psu and once the other cards arrive with the evga psu, i switch this psu to only run the cards

Thank you for the support, i understand its a risk that i am taking, i hope all goes well but i need to know if one of the supply goes down how will it burn the whole thing assuming i have 2 psu's for 2 different roles? one is powering the mobo and 3 psu and one is powering only the risers & cards,

Which EVGA PSU did you end up purchasing?

Generally risers with 4-pin molex or 6-pin PCIe connectors are a safer bet. Usually decent molex connectors handle going over-spec pretty well, but SATA connectors can generally have more problems. (And their max current rating is lower than 4-pin molex connectors in the first place.) You will *probably* be okay if you avoid using too many SATA connectors off the same line from a PSU (1, maybe 2 at most). If you're careful about how you distribute the load, you *should* be okay using SATA power.

If one of your PSUs were to fail, it wouldn't necessarily cause permanent damage. (Although it could damage other components, it probably wouldn't "burn the whole thing".)
However, it could down the rig until you have the time to fix it. Obviously, if the unit powering the motherboard, CPU, or drive goes down, the entire rig will crash.
If the secondary PSU fails, I suppose it's not impossible for the cards powered on the primary PSU to continue running. However, the driver/OS/mining software could throw some kind of exception and cause a crash of the mining software, simply trigger a reboot, or cause another error. (These kinds of cards aren't designed to be hot-swappable, so if their PSU failed while the system was live, it wouldn't be too great.)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
azher91 (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 08:53:21 AM

Generally risers with 4-pin molex or 6-pin PCIe connectors are a safer bet. Usually decent molex connectors handle going over-spec pretty well, but SATA connectors can generally have more problems. (And their max current rating is lower than 4-pin molex connectors in the first place.) You will *probably* be okay if you avoid using too many SATA connectors off the same line from a PSU (1, maybe 2 at most). If you're careful about how you distribute the load, you *should* be okay using SATA power.

If one of your PSUs were to fail, it wouldn't necessarily cause permanent damage. (Although it could damage other components, it probably wouldn't "burn the whole thing".)
However, it could down the rig until you have the time to fix it. Obviously, if the unit powering the motherboard, CPU, or drive goes down, the entire rig will crash.
If the secondary PSU fails, I suppose it's not impossible for the cards powered on the primary PSU to continue running. However, the driver/OS/mining software could throw some kind of exception and cause a crash of the mining software, simply trigger a reboot, or cause another error. (These kinds of cards aren't designed to be hot-swappable, so if their PSU failed while the system was live, it wouldn't be too great.)

I am thinking of EVGA 750w Bronze

However iam still worried about the mobo running the 6 gpu, is there no way i can get to know if it will work? before ordering the cards?
Supercoiner111

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:45:00 AM

However iam still worried about the mobo running the 6 gpu, is there no way i can get to know if it will work? before ordering the cards?

If you are really worried just order a mobo that has been documented to work with 6 gpu like z270, etc.

azher91 (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:56:29 PM

If you are really worried just order a mobo that has been documented to work with 6 gpu like z270, etc.

I could but that will cost alot of money, as i will have to get a mobo & a cpu, anyone has any other idea'?
azher91 (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:32:55 PM

Anyone?
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 07:20:38 AM

Anyone?

There's not much you can do to confirm that it will work prior to testing it out. Those splitters are hit-and-miss, and finding someone else with personal experience mining with an old motherboard like yours would be a difficult task.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
benji514

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:06:15 PM

I have 5 gpu with the exact same motherboard. Everything works well with the risers but I'm having issues with the 1x slot. For some reason it does detected the gpu but can't install a proper driver or does install but can't be recognize with the miner.
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 08:05:35 PM

I have 5 gpu with the exact same motherboard. Everything works well with the risers but I'm having issues with the 1x slot. For some reason it does detected the gpu but can't install a proper driver or does install but can't be recognize with the miner.
What OS/driver are you using, and what GPUs do you have?

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
benji514

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 07:34:01 AM

windows 10 home / nvidia 385.41
5x gtx 1060 (different brand)
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 09:19:04 AM

windows 10 home / nvidia 385.41
5x gtx 1060 (different brand)

If you remove all of your cards except whatever you're using for video (the one in the primary x16 slot) and ONE additional card in the x1 slot via a riser, what happens?

If the card on the x1 slot still does not work, and you are certain that both the card and the riser are working, then you may want to try shorting the A1 and B17 pins on the motherboard. Most recent motherboards have not needed this trick, but if you look around on the forums, there's a couple of old threads about this. I had an Asrock N68S-UCC board that required it in order for the x1 slot to be used with a riser.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
benji514

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 06:15:11 PM

I tried the shorting mod but the error is still there ( Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) ), I also reinstalled all the driver. I guess the 1x is really limited in this MB
DesertRaven

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:46:08 PM

So happy to see this topic  Smiley
I have the exact same mobo, and I am planing to put 2 RX580 8GB whitout risers (directly on the PCIe x16 2.0)

Now, my question is: will the hasrate be the same as the GPU is plugged in to a mobo that is having PCIe 3.0.?

Please give me some idea, otherwise I will find ot by myself when I try  Smiley
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:55:51 PM

Sata is actually the "worst" connector for a riser as it has the lowest power handling capacity.

Just as an FYI the people that claim molex connectors burn are the problem. They hook things up incorrectly, burn up their equipment, then blame it on the equipment when in reality they screwed up by not setting things up properly. If you set your rig up properly, you can use any type of powered riser with no problems. Sure, manufacturing defects can cause some one off situations but there is nothing wrong with molex powered risers. I have thousands running with no issues.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:56:58 PM

I have the exact same mobo, and I am planing to put 2 RX580 8GB whitout risers (directly on the PCIe x16 2.0)

Now, my question is: will the hasrate be the same as the GPU is plugged in to a mobo that is having PCIe 3.0.?

Hash rate is unaffected by the PCIe connector, video cards only need 1x PCIe to hash at full speed.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
DesertRaven

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 06:13:11 PM

Hash rate is unaffected by the PCIe connector, video cards only need 1x PCIe to hash at full speed.

Thanks! This is very useful information!
azher91 (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 12:56:11 PM

I tried the shorting mod but the error is still there ( Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) ), I also reinstalled all the driver. I guess the 1x is really limited in this MB

Did you get it to work in the end?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: