Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:43:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When to take profits from ICO  (Read 529 times)
kriptokrayt (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 08:39:36 AM

Hi all

I understand that my question is somewhat subjective in nature and its hard to call when to take profits from an ICO, but I wanted to know if there are any general tell-tale signs or strategies that one should decide to take their profits from ICOs

For example if a promising ICO (not an obvious shitcoin pump and dump) 5x's is that enough? Or should I give it an entire month, or even 2 months before deciding when to take profits, especially since I understand being too greedy can result in stretching oneself too thin and ultimately missing out on any profit.

And furthermore, lets say for example I decide to take profits once I have 5x'd, would you say to completely pull out the profits or should I go by a set ratio taking enough money out to cover the initial investment and then keep the rest of the money in there in the case that in next few months it moons (sorry for using that cringey word)

Or is there some better ratio like 80/20??

Anyways thanks for taking the time and happy huntings!

cheers
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
diskodasa

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:06:33 AM

My style is alway buy some hot ICO and sell when it's list on new exchange. price will always up 20-30%.

gaming-stars

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:11:02 AM

I believe you need to know in advance what you think is a good return. If price reaches this level sell 50% of the position and keep the rest. I would def. keep a portion of the tokens in such hot markets because it needs to just one time to go through the roof to make you a substantial additional profit.

The markets are so hot that it is worth taking the risks of making less money vs. making A LOT MORE profit...

By selling part of your position, you still made money AND have the chances to make even more money.

As the old investment saying goes: "Cut your losses and let your profits run"

I hope that helps, good luck
renes

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:14:47 AM

If I make really good profit from a ico, I don't pull out all the profits, I sell some to invest in other projects and continue to keep the rest of coins if the project is worth to hold.
Javi_Anibarro

Activity: 1526
Merit: 282

tBTC - https://dapp.tbtc.network/

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 11:22:55 AM

ICOs is a short time project.
only some of them survived for the long time.
for example ETH,Lisk and others.
but they need a ton of people to hype it and they can keep surviving.
for now i don't believe we will see another type of ICOs again,because it's very obvious many people trying to open an ICOs to make a profit in a single night and then gone.

so the best time to take profit is when the ICOs hit the market.
dump it directly and take the profit
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 11:32:56 AM

It would depend on the ICO and how successful it was, also how much money you have put in and how confident you are in the project.

If you can get away with making some profit and still leave some coins in the project it can't hurt, a few times I have got out soon after an ICO hits an exchange only to find out a few months down the road that I could have made a lot more profit.
Kalender123

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 01:26:24 PM

I believe you need to know in advance what you think is a good return. If price reaches this level sell 50% of the position and keep the rest. I would def. keep a portion of the tokens in such hot markets because it needs to just one time to go through the roof to make you a substantial additional profit.

The markets are so hot that it is worth taking the risks of making less money vs. making A LOT MORE profit...

By selling part of your position, you still made money AND have the chances to make even more money.

+1 i think this makes the most sense unless you are a strong believer in the project and in the team i would be in afor aloing long hold.
dieselmeister

Activity: 546
Merit: 290

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 02:17:03 PM

Grin if u invest in an ICO. I think we need make profit min is x50. so when bought token just forget it and wait till time everyone tell about that token. that the time to sell

Someone used my Account for 3 Month, why would someone do this?
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:59:22 PM

Grin if u invest in an ICO. I think we need make profit min is x50. so when bought token just forget it and wait till time everyone tell about that token. that the time to sell
You can take another people's experience, just take your profit after your investment got over 2-3x for your investment and that already brought you a lot of money and you can flip your profit to another ico again and there is no estimation about the answer to complete the OP's question.
Cryptotina

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 06:01:15 PM

+1 i think this makes the most sense unless you are a strong believer in the project and in the team i would be in afor aloing long hold.
Going to take these advices to heart on my next ICO investment. Shouldn't get greedy unless I believe in the tech
JustLooking7

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 07:20:36 PM

As far as I heard mostly people lose money from ICO's very few of thrm actually promising some product or have already

Defender_Of_The_Ancients

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 07:31:41 PM

In short term perspective - sell right after the project hits big exchange (bittrex/polo or lower tier exchanges for smaller projects). The price is pumping usually in the beginning and you can rebuy a bit later. The timing should be very good though!

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform  
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: