Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:08:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ⚡️COINS ≠ TOKENS🔥  (Read 453 times)
VFabio (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 11:44:31 AM
Last edit: August 31, 2017, 07:00:47 PM by VFabio

I'm into the topic of cryptocurrencies for a while now and there is one thing I'm really concerned about.

COINS ≠ TOKENS

It's essential to understand the difference. Coins are holding values as main functionality whereas tokens represent digital assets.

I like that Coinmarketcap.com makes a clear difference between those two.

https://i.imgur.com/XWeTxwY.png
You can see that there is no bitcoin for example.

What makes me so concerned is that people pump&dump their coins all day long, deceiving people without horizontal knowledge about cryptocurrencies. There is basically no need for more than one decentralised coin. Defining the ecosystem it makes sense to have a competition or even co-opetition, but not forgetting to have the end in mind - A decentralised economy.

Every splitter-coin will die, i.e. pumped and dumped. Dumped on the dump of Bitcoin. Lets it grow. Stop wasting your money and even more valuable time on small coins. Probably you will be dealing with a bot anyway.

Maybe we'll need a coin for every major industry in the future, depending on its token flow habits. But currencies need to be backed by asset.

Thanks for attention. I'm looking forward to your comments.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zokora

Activity: 532
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 12:41:18 PM

I only invest in coins. Bitcoin, ethereum, waves, lisk, neo, ripple, litecoin, dash, monero, these are enough for me for investing and trading.

Tokens are bubble. Only a few tokens are worth of it. Invest in gambling tokens but do not invest the tokens that are saying they are going to change the world.
VFabio (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 12:49:51 PM

I only invest in coins. Bitcoin, ethereum, waves, lisk, neo, ripple, litecoin, dash, monero, these are enough for me for investing and trading.

Tokens are bubble. Only a few tokens are worth of it. Invest in gambling tokens but do not invest the tokens that are saying they are going to change the world.

Can you explain why?
VFabio (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2017, 06:50:41 PM

https://i.imgur.com/fx2RPf6.png

God forgive them 'cause they don't know what they do...
heppot

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 07:59:30 PM

but most of popular currency or token saying that. and now still growth and maybe change the world  Grin just think positive for look any project. its not bad if they said that hehe.
AshCoins

Activity: 336
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 09:31:38 PM

My concern with tokens is that most are eth based.  If there is a problem with eth and people lose faith in it, all eth tokens will likely tank as well. 
CH-Henry

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 12:21:23 PM

My concern with tokens is that most are eth based.  If there is a problem with eth and people lose faith in it, all eth tokens will likely tank as well. 

Well, a lot are eth based because it's proven to be an incredibly reliable and convenient foundation for tokens. There are great alternatives (competition and diversity is good) like waves, which are seeing significant popularity.

Crypto is going to stumble a lot going forward, but I don't imagine it will ever lose significance, as long as we have a society so dependant on computing. Some tokens will succeed and some fail, but overall, success seems inevitable.
btcminer49er

Activity: 327
Merit: 116

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 12:32:37 PM

Yeah, being eth based has surely it's pros and cons.

Pros being that the infrastructuere is there,and you have less to worry about.
Con is that relies on eth stability
daveon

Activity: 35

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 01:55:44 PM

You are missing the whole point. The main purpose of tokens is to allow startup companies to form capital without the need to go through big banks and regulatory agencies. This is only made possible by the blockchain.
VFabio (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 02:20:45 PM

You are missing the whole point. The main purpose of tokens is to allow startup companies to form capital without the need to go through big banks and regulatory agencies. This is only made possible by the blockchain.

This is the legal grey zone exploited by startup companies.

Sustainability of token based business models is the crucial point to focus on. An ICO is a way to raise funds for exactly those business types. Regulations will try to prevent investors from investing in tokens without potential, which means more requirements to fulfil for businesses to make an ICO.

If what you are claiming is the main purpose of tokens, I would like to ask you for the main purpose of coins. If there is a difference for you...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: