Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:11:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Daily Adoption Action Plan (Updated daily)  (Read 5248 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Ares (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:14:59 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 05:32:35 AM by Ares

Welcome to the DAAP, the OP of this post will be edited daily with a new objective that will further the adoption of Bitcoin, so please make checking this thread part of your daily internet routine. There needs to be people to push the snowball to the hill.

Use the reply section of this thread for suggestions on the next plan, and please spread the word. The more participants we have, the greater the impact.

Today's Plan (updated 5/30/13):

Encourage an online merchant to accept Bitcoin

http://www.takemybitcoins.com/#encourage

Let a merchant know about your interest in them accepting Bitcoin.

Enter their email and URL below, and we'll email them for you and track their response.

From this reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1f5psj/encourage_an_online_merchant_to_accept_bitcoin/

Again, please post suggestions for the next plan in the reply section or bump the thread to remind everyone to do their part in the day's plan. Suggestions don't necessarily have to be related to a specific business accepting Bitcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:05:49 AM

Ares, good initiative.

I have explained in earlier threads why an ISO currency code would accelerate Bitcoin take-up, and make it a harder target for jealous CBs to attack.

So this action activity is an in-house one. It is to ask the Bitcoin Foundation to lobby SIX Standards to register an ISO code.

Getting Bitcoin the ISO code XBT, where 1 XBT = 100 satoshi, or 1 miilion XBT = 1 BTC is most effective. It means that bitcoin amounts are easily stored in all the worlds accounting and FX systems.

Ares (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:51:42 PM

Ares, good initiative.

I have explained in earlier threads why an ISO currency code would accelerate Bitcoin take-up, and make it a harder target for jealous CBs to attack.

So this action activity is an in-house one. It is to ask the Bitcoin Foundation to lobby SIX Standards to register an ISO code.

Getting Bitcoin the ISO code XBT, where 1 XBT = 100 satoshi, or 1 miilion XBT = 1 BTC is most effective. It means that bitcoin amounts are easily stored in all the worlds accounting and FX systems.

I agree, I remember reading a lot about the importance of that, and it certainly needs to happen. I'll make it today's plan. Thank you for the suggestion!
afrotec

Activity: 127

Coinnoisseur

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:09:31 PM

This is a great idea, I'm on board 100%   Smiley

I think if the concept catches on, a dedicated website would be something good to look into.

And perhaps less frequent task changes, every few days or something? Just to allow a larger number of participants for each activity

hahahafr

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:54:14 AM

What the fuck is wrong with BTC?

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
Ares (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:55:55 AM

What the fuck is wrong with BTC?
The ISO 4217 currency codes are an international standard way to refer to currencies. They consist of three letters, written all caps. For currencies issued by nations, the first two letters are a code for the country, and the third letter represents the currency issued. Example national currencies are the USD (United States, Dollar), GBP (Great Britain, Pound), or JPY (Japan, Yen). Non-national currencies are designated by an X (no nation) followed by a two letter code. This can be precious metals, such as XAG (Silver), XAU (Gold), or XPT (Platinum). It can also be international currencies, such as XAF (African Francs), or XCD (East Caribbean Dollars).

Many people have been using the code BTC for bitcoins, which is clearly wrong. There exists a currency BTN (Bhutan, Ngultrum); BT is the country code for Bhutan. BTC, by the code rules, stands for Bhutan Colones, or Bhutan Crunchies, or Bhutan Calafragilistics. BTC is not Bitcoins.

The rules are pretty clear. Bitcoins are not issued by a nation state, so the code should start with X. BitCoins is comprised of two words, so we can abbreviate that BC. So we should use, and ask for international recognition of, XBC. XBC = (Non-national currency) BitCoins.

This code is for use anywhere the official international codes are used. Exchanges should adopt this code immediately, and stop using BTC. For example, "The current exchange rate is 14.15 USD/XBC." Or "Please send payment of 456.78978466 XBC to the following address."

That being said, in an informal setting you can still use the abbreviation "btc" or "Btc" (lower case, to avoid confusion). I realize this is an uphill battle for implementation since the incorrect use of BTC is spread through the entire bitcoin community, but we need to change this NOW while the community is still small rather than later.

If bitcoins do well, in the future we may have very small prices for items and people will want to use millibitcoins or microbitcoins for convenience. (Reminder: 1 satoshi is 0.01 microbitcoin.) I propose using the terms mBC for millibitcoins and µBC for microbitcoins (use uBC if you can't type µ (mu)).

IN SUMMARY: Everybody, please stop using the abbreviation BTC and pretending it is a good international abbreviation, and start using XBC to refer to bitcoins.

EDIT: As was pointed out later in the thread, XBC is already claimed, so I am supporting XBT instead.
 DO NOT POST SESC LINKS
Ares (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:57:51 AM

This is a great idea, I'm on board 100%   Smiley

I think if the concept catches on, a dedicated website would be something good to look into.

And perhaps less frequent task changes, every few days or something? Just to allow a larger number of participants for each activity

If everyone supported this like you, we would be able make a huge splash in whichever company or task we target. Thank you, and please get others to join in!
Ares (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:58:14 AM

Updated for 5/24/13
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:06:42 PM

I'd suggest changing the green background in the OP and your link to a lighter color, dark background + dark text = hard to read  Undecided

I do like the idea though!
Terk

Activity: 616
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:24:34 PM

I don't like the idea of some random daily actions. Even if this daily action thread gets massive support from forum members, it won't be effective.

So you edited OP today and changed it to (I'm stripping colors):

Today's Plan (updated 5/24/13):
Let's ask Zynga to support Bitcoin!

I made this thread on their feedback forum, please voice your support: http://www.zyngaplayerforums.com/showthread.php?1804691-Please-allow-payment-with-Bitcoin

I also found this email for Zynga through gethuman.com: Businessdevelopment@zynga.com

There was a totally different agenda here yesterday and there will be another different one tomorrow.

Now imagine company like Zynga that gets a sudden flash-mob-like attack of comments to support bitcoin. They see 2,000 comments in the thread and they might think “wow, there must be something in that”. But then the thread barely lives one day after and totally dies two days later. Now they think “WTF? Thousands of people were supporting this idea yesterday but one day later everyone lost their interest? This must have been some stupid flash-mob-like prank”.

And it will be like that with any action. Getting an official ISO 4217 currency code or convincing any large company to implement bitcoin support require lots of sustained lobbying. One-day flash mobs won't make a difference.

Ares (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:13:08 AM

I don't like the idea of some random daily actions. Even if this daily action thread gets massive support from forum members, it won't be effective.

I made this thread on their feedback forum, please voice your support: http://www.zyngaplayerforums.com/showthread.php?1804691-Please-allow-payment-with-Bitcoin

I also found this email for Zynga through gethuman.com: Businessdevelopment@zynga.com

There was a totally different agenda here yesterday and there will be another different one tomorrow.

Now imagine company like Zynga that gets a sudden flash-mob-like attack of comments to support bitcoin. They see 2,000 comments in the thread and they might think “wow, there must be something in that”. But then the thread barely lives one day after and totally dies two days later. Now they think “WTF? Thousands of people were supporting this idea yesterday but one day later everyone lost their interest? This must have been some stupid flash-mob-like prank”.

And it will be like that with any action. Getting an official ISO 4217 currency code or convincing any large company to implement bitcoin support require lots of sustained lobbying. One-day flash mobs won't make a difference.

Thanks for the feedback. The purpose of this thread isn't necessarily to get a business to say "Hey, look at the continued demand for Bitcoin specifically for our business!", but moreso for them to say "Hey, a lot of people just messaged us, maybe we should see what this Bitcoin thing is all about".

Thoughts?
pwi

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 05:07:42 AM

The largest single impact most of us can make is by spending some bitcoins every week. Spend them on something legal too. Buy something from an individual and tell others about how great the experience was. Buy something, anything, from a legit company offering wares for bitcoins. Gyft.com, reddit, and wordpress, are few that come to mind. I like gyft.com. There is something on there that you are going to buy this week anyway. Why not spend some coin?

I love the OP's idea of contacting companies to let them know you are interested in purchasing their wares for bitcoins. How about contacting your favorite locally owned restaurant about accepting bitcoins? What about other locally owned small businesses that you frequent?

Sell something on this board today for bitcoins. Use escrow. Don't scam. It hurts the community to do otherwise.     

If every member purposed to spend at least $20/week in bitcoins on things they would otherwise buy with plastic or paper anyways; it will go a long ways toward adoption by the masses. Big companies often follow the small ones. We just don't hear about it until a major player boards the ship. 

Buy my PS3 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216554.msg2282760#msg2282760

Sign up with campbx:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=3lo7dSqrLOu Yes it's an affiliate link, but you will not see me touting anything I do not both believe in and make extensive use of myself. Campbx is one of those things.
Ares (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:07:31 AM

The largest single impact most of us can make is by spending some bitcoins every week. Spend them on something legal too. Buy something from an individual and tell others about how great the experience was. Buy something, anything, from a legit company offering wares for bitcoins. Gyft.com, reddit, and wordpress, are few that come to mind. I like gyft.com. There is something on there that you are going to buy this week anyway. Why not spend some coin?

I love the OP's idea of contacting companies to let them know you are interested in purchasing their wares for bitcoins. How about contacting your favorite locally owned restaurant about accepting bitcoins? What about other locally owned small businesses that you frequent?

Sell something on this board today for bitcoins. Use escrow. Don't scam. It hurts the community to do otherwise.     

If every member purposed to spend at least $20/week in bitcoins on things they would otherwise buy with plastic or paper anyways; it will go a long ways toward adoption by the masses. Big companies often follow the small ones. We just don't hear about it until a major player boards the ship. 

Great post. I'll make a "ask your local X to consider allowing payment in Bitcoin" plan in the coming days.

Also, updated for today
Ares (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:09:40 AM

Also, I agree with not spamming a random company's email for a day, but "upvoting" bitcoin suggestions in company's feedback sections would work wonders, similar to the dropbox idea.
pwi

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 09:34:50 AM

Great post. I'll make a "ask your local X to consider allowing payment in Bitcoin" plan in the coming days.

Also, updated for today

You started a great thread. I'm just following your lead.

Buy my PS3 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216554.msg2282760#msg2282760

Sign up with campbx:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=3lo7dSqrLOu Yes it's an affiliate link, but you will not see me touting anything I do not both believe in and make extensive use of myself. Campbx is one of those things.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:18:37 PM

Can you keep a list ( in the OP or elsewhere ) of all previous plans?
That way anybody new to the thread can support the "old" plans as well.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 05:13:10 PM

Google Trends has Bitcoin exploding overnight as opposed to say Facebook that did a slow bell curve up from 2005.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=facebook
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Bitcoin&cmpt=q
I'm not sure what is happening right now but whatever it is should be continued and supported.
The regional maps between the two are quite interesting. Facebook seems to be pretty evenly distributed but Bitcoin has drastically exploded in many areas.

Terk

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 05:59:17 PM

Google Trends has Bitcoin exploding overnight as opposed to say Facebook that did a slow bell curve up from 2005.
I'm not sure what is happening right now but whatever it is should be continued and supported.
The regional maps between the two are quite interesting. Facebook seems to be pretty evenly distributed but Bitcoin has drastically exploded in many areas.

This only shows the very infancy of bitcoin. Little popular phrases (like bitcoin) will have huge volatility whenever there will be some mainstream news mention - and this is what you see on this chart. To show you an example of why shape of the chart is meaningless with low volume, please take a look at some bullshit term like “kjsdhf” which I just randomly typed on my keyboard http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=kjsdhf&cmpt=q - whoa, it was very quiet and then it skyrocketed in July 2012 and remains quite popular as the chart is at the top.

To put that bitcoin chart in context, take a look at bitcoin+facebook on one chart: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin%2C%20facebook&cmpt=q all this “bitcoin skyrocketed overnight” is just a flat line at the bottom of the chart. Now pay attention to 2004 values of the Facebook phrase in the above chart. It's a flat line too. Now take a look at Facebook chart but in 2004 only: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=facebook&date=1%2F2004%2012m&cmpt=q - whoa, skyrockets.

Everything needs context.  That 2004 Facebook skyrocket is just a flat line in the long-term 2004-2013 chart. Bitcoin is still very niche and is in its infancy. Spikes like this won't matter in the long term. Ten years from now people will look at long-term bitcoin popularity chart and write:

Google Trends has [something-new] exploding overnight as opposed to say Bitcoin that did a slow bell curve up from 2012

Or they will write “look ma, there was something called bitcoin but it didn't make it” and the chart will look like this: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=friendster&cmpt=q

tl;dr: let's don't get crazy and don't piss our pants.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:08:29 PM

This only shows the very infancy of bitcoin. Little popular phrases (like bitcoin) will have huge volatility whenever there will be some mainstream news mention - and this is what you see on this chart. To show you an example of why shape of the chart is meaningless with low volume, please take a look at some bullshit term like “kjsdhf” which I just randomly typed on my keyboard http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=kjsdhf&cmpt=q - whoa, it was very quiet and then it skyrocketed in July 2012 and remains quite popular as the chart is at the top.

To put that bitcoin chart in context, take a look at bitcoin+facebook on one chart: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin%2C%20facebook&cmpt=q all this “bitcoin skyrocketed overnight” is just a flat line at the bottom of the chart. Now pay attention to 2004 values of the Facebook phrase in the above chart. It's a flat line too. Now take a look at Facebook chart but in 2004 only: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=facebook&date=1%2F2004%2012m&cmpt=q - whoa, skyrockets.

Everything needs context.  That 2004 Facebook skyrocket is just a flat line in the long-term 2004-2013 chart. Bitcoin is still very niche and is in its infancy. Spikes like this won't matter in the long term. Ten years from now people will look at long-term bitcoin popularity chart and write:

Google Trends has [something-new] exploding overnight as opposed to say Bitcoin that did a slow bell curve up from 2012

Or they will write “look ma, there was something called bitcoin but it didn't make it” and the chart will look like this: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=friendster&cmpt=q

tl;dr: let's don't get crazy and don't piss our pants.

So you don't believe the stats that say Bitcoin has increased in hits for 2013 vs every other year of its existence?

Terk

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:20:05 PM

So you don't believe the stats that say Bitcoin has increased in hits for 2013 vs every other year of its existence?

Of course it's obvious that it increased. Where did you get that conclusion from?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: