Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:54:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: internet speed and hashing speed  (Read 2858 times)
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:43:58 PM

For pool mining:

Say your hashrate is 567MHash and that uses 12kb/s.

Divide by 567, times by 1000, that gives you 1GHash

Now you do the same to your bandwidth.

12 divide by 567, times by 1000.

Equals 21kb/s per ghash.

Replace 12 and 567 in all instances with your bandwidth and hashrate.
if i use your calculation it s showing 21 meg/terahash
so means for 10 tera you need 210 meg?

am i correct?

Keep in mind that this traffic you are talking about (between the miner and the pool server) does not go out on the internet for typical solo mining setups. Why? Because you typically have your miner(s), pool server and bitcoind all on the same local area network. The only thing that goes out on the internet is your bitcoind network traffc. All the stratum / GBT stuff happens on the local network.

ok let s sum up

let s say i have 10 rig of 1 tera each.

let s say i have one sever where my bitcoin d is located .

with 1 rj45 going from my hub to the 10 mini rig i will be able to make all this works right?

but how much my server will need as bw ? 21 meg or 210 meg?

In solo mining where everything is local there are 3 types of network traffic:

1) Traffic between miner(s) and pool server (stratum/GBT/getwork on LAN)
2) Traffic between pool server and bitcoind (none if both are on the same server)
3) Traffic between bitcoind and internet

Your initial post asked about internet traffic requirements (item 3)).

The answer to your example is 210 meg on the LAN, but this is talking about item 1). It does has nothing to do with internet connection speed.

Unless you are solving all the blocks on the network the internet traffic used by bitcoind has little to do with the hashrate of your solomining setup.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
papamoi (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:53:45 PM

For pool mining:

Say your hashrate is 567MHash and that uses 12kb/s.

Divide by 567, times by 1000, that gives you 1GHash

Now you do the same to your bandwidth.

12 divide by 567, times by 1000.

Equals 21kb/s per ghash.

Replace 12 and 567 in all instances with your bandwidth and hashrate.
if i use your calculation it s showing 21 meg/terahash
so means for 10 tera you need 210 meg?

am i correct?

Keep in mind that this traffic you are talking about (between the miner and the pool server) does not go out on the internet for typical solo mining setups. Why? Because you typically have your miner(s), pool server and bitcoind all on the same local area network. The only thing that goes out on the internet is your bitcoind network traffc. All the stratum / GBT stuff happens on the local network.

ok let s sum up

let s say i have 10 rig of 1 tera each.

let s say i have one sever where my bitcoin d is located .

with 1 rj45 going from my hub to the 10 mini rig i will be able to make all this works right?

but how much my server will need as bw ? 21 meg or 210 meg?

In solo mining where everything is local there are 3 types of network traffic:

1) Traffic between miner(s) and pool server (stratum/GBT/getwork on LAN)
2) Traffic between pool server and bitcoind (none if both are on the same server)
3) Traffic between bitcoind and internet

Your initial post asked about internet traffic requirements (item 3)).

The answer to your example is 210 meg on the LAN, but this is talking about item 1). It does has nothing to do with internet connection speed.

Unless you are solving all the blocks on the network the internet traffic used by bitcoind has little to do with the hashrate of your solomining setup.

so if i m right

the internet bandwith will be ridiculously low comparing to the hashpower in this type of setup,right

even 1 mbps/sec would be enough

but now complementary question

how to setup own stratum or gbt (what is gbt btw)?

i ve read some info on setting stratum pool on shush website so that basically install the software and tweak the setting and all is on?

it s seems too simple

am i missing something here?
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:06:30 PM

GBT
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Getblocktemplate

So as we were saying... setting up your own pool moves all the miner traffic to LAN and only bitcoind interfaces with the WAN. 

Frankly with 1TH I would still solo mine for a while... but my pain threshold for variance may be higher than yours and I am not a professional/commercial miner.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208520.0

There were a couple of threads on setting up your own private stratum pool a couple of months back:

Eloipool:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=158105.0

Slush's Pool:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=162788.0

I suspect chip shipments will be delayed as no movement has been seen from Bitsyncom's chip wallet yet
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1FGAftzSTztFSB8LMwsrdCKTyqGY6zr3sU
But it is currently holding ~60,000 BTC which represents 760,000 Asic chips which translates to +215THash worth of asics coming on line once they ship.

AsicMiner... BTCGarden and others are good for another 100 - 200 THash in the next 2 months.  BFL will most likely still struggle to add any serious hashpower onto the network for a couple of months.

If you don't have your miners in hand... or ordered in Avalon Batch2 or Batch3, you might want to consider joining a pool (or just investing in one of these mining farm companies).

Good luck!
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:16:01 PM

Apparently Yifu said he can handle the chip orders without cashing out the BTC. Thats what he said when asked at the conference about having to cash out all those BTC in that wallet.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 12:00:26 AM

I wouldn't expect them to cash out all the BTC in the chip account, but they have probably close to $1M order now of chips from TSMC (maybe only $750K, but more orders get added every day - http://blockexplorer.com/address/1FGAftzSTztFSB8LMwsrdCKTyqGY6zr3sU )... they are still going to need to pull 7500 coins from somewhere.  For accounting purposes, I would assume they would pull it from the actual account that they have chip sales... but maybe not.

Rumor is BFL might start selling raw chips as well... I think it would be a smart play to stay relevant.
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:47:15 AM

The bitcoin figures ( http://blockexplorer.com/address/1FGAftzSTztFSB8LMwsrdCKTyqGY6zr3sU)  not moving because avalon already has a good cash reserve, as such they may Not need to convert this bitcoin into fiat currency, I am sure TSMC does not accept bitcoin. Butterfly selling Asic Chip that will be interesting because they still have a back log of Miners to delivered, or may be they need cash ..

and his cost price from this chip is likely half of his selling price, maybe $1 or $2 per chip or even less?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: