Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:45:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marketcap & BTC Dominance  (Read 383 times)
gcxc (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 04:57:58 PM

As the marketcap marches to 250b and higher, what are the thoughts as ti the BTC MARKETSHARE?

Since last year this has eroded, but will that slide continue?  Or will money begin to move back to BTC as the STANDARD, especially as realization sets in for:
- difficulty
- scarcity
- FOMO

There will come a time when few are willing to part with all or a part of their BTC until certain price points are met.  That, in my opinion, will cause a huge spike that has yet to be seen and a scramble to buy BTC, meaning a gold rush, per se, into this king if the coins.  At THAT point, tulipmania will appear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 05:07:58 PM

I have been hearing too much about this tulip bulb bubble that happened centuries ago and many would like to attach that story into the Bitcoin timeline. I am not saying that a bubble will not happen with Bitcoin but for me there are some differences here...for example we can produce as many tulips as we want but Bitcoin has a limited supply. Tulip has a very limited intrinsic value to speak of while Bitcoin is now considered as the digital gold and now taking the title as the safe haven.

In case we are really sure that a tulip-like bubble is about to appear then maybe it is time to launch an educational campaign globally telling people not to buy or invest their hard-earned money with Bitcoin. Maybe it is time to pass a law punishing people who are involved with Bitcoin since an economic disaster is about to happen due to adopting Bitcoin.

Maybe we should just forget Bitcoin and pretend that there was no real Satoshi Nakamoto and there was no such story as ordering pizza using Bitcoin. Then maybe we should all quit from this forum. Maybe yes maybe no.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 05:24:36 PM
Last edit: August 31, 2017, 07:57:40 PM by franky1

market cap is meaningless.. the maths of getting to the marketcap is meaningless.. its based on the price of 1btc multiplied by coins in circulation.
it does not explain real demand it does not explain utility..

anyone can create a new altcoin with 300 trillion coins and sell a single coin for $1 and beat the market cap

what people need to care and monitor is the utility. for instance merchant acceptance. such as
if merchants start using other services such as allowing a litecoin ATM in their establishment instead of a bitcoin ATM
if coinbase jumped over to using litecoin for its merchant shopping cart API service
if bitpay jumped over to use BCH

so stop caring about market cap as thats just a bubble number for fiat lovers..
and instead keep an ey on utility/market share

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 909

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 12:01:23 PM

Bitcoin's share of market cap will change direction and begin increasing continuously.

You have no evidence to prove your claims OP. Smiley
I don`t want bitcoin marketshare to increase because this will prove that a bubble is coming on the horizon.
All the strong cryptocurrencies should grow.The pump&dump altcoins will crash and clear the market and this is something good.   

alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 01:11:38 PM

anyone can create a new altcoin with 300 trillion coins and sell a single coin for $1 and beat the market cap

If it was that easy to do, doge would be worth $1.

In order to sell something for $1, someone has to agree it's worth buying it for $1. And that is hard to achieve, you have to persuade the investor of it's worth.

Which means marketcap is a good proxy for where investors think value is. At the moment bitcoin's share is less than 50% of the total cryptocurrency marketcap, which means investors think there is more potential in alts than in bitcoin. And they're putting their money where their mouth is.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:41:52 PM

As the marketcap marches to 250b and higher, what are the thoughts as ti the BTC MARKETSHARE?
  • bitcoin market cap will continue to rise long term as its price rises and more new coins are slowly mined.
  • bitcoin share of market cap will continue to go down as new shitcoins are created with billions of coin and with fake and bloated market cap "number"
  • bitcoin dominance is still the same as before, it is nearly 99.999% of everything else. dominance is the usage, the adoption, the merchants and services around bitcoin and lots of other useful things.
Since last year this has eroded, but will that slide continue? 
yes as I said above. and here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1842964.0

Or will money begin to move back to BTC as the STANDARD, especially as realization sets in for:
- difficulty
- scarcity
- FOMO
the money you have in mind is mostly the traders who will always fly around in the market from one market to another to make the most profit. they never go anywhere and they never stay in 1 place. they went to join the altcion pumps and they came back with bigger pockets and they go back again after bitcoin rally slowed down to take a breath.

Only Bitcoin
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 02:57:17 PM

Yes, marketcap is somewhat deceitful in multiplying supply x price, just because if someone were going to sell, say only 10% of bitcoin in circulation all at once, its price (and thus marketcap) will go much lower than that 10%.

However, I think it shows the strength of bitcoin somewhat. In fact, I have never seen BTC in a second position despite theoretically someone could create a coin with trillions of supply and buy it for some dollars to make it go down.

BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:28:05 PM

the only people who care about market cap share of bitcoin are altcoin advertisers. specifically ethereum shills because their coin has 72 million premined coins in possession of their foundation overlords. and on top of it the rate of its creation is stupidly high and soon will be 100 million.
obviously bitcoin share of the total market cap will be small it its 16 million circulating coins!

There is a FOMO brewing...
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:04:37 PM

specifically ethereum shills because their coin has 72 million premined coins in possession of their foundation overlords.
Twelve million you mean.  Sixty million were in the ICO.
and on top of it the rate of its creation is stupidly high
It's a lower rate as a percentage than BTC started with, because BTC wasn't premined.
obviously bitcoin share of the total market cap will be small it its 16 million circulating coins!
There are many reasonable ways of insulting altcoins.  Please use them.

BTC dominance will depend on the result of the New York Agreement.  If there is a clear leader between the two chains, it will be particularly bullish.
iram1011

Activity: 896
Merit: 521

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:10:38 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2017, 05:02:52 PM by iram1011

Why so much hatred for marketcap?? There is an increase in Bitcoin marketcap only because of increase in price as supply is way too limited. The increase in price in turn related to increase in demand or utility only. This shows there is increased investor's interest in Bitcoin and hence shows Bitcoin is gaining ground among traditional monetary system. Marketcap is useless when we compare two cryptocurrencies. But here considering marketcap as a growth of Bitcoin is quite justified.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:20:24 PM

specifically ethereum shills because their coin has 72 million premined coins in possession of their foundation overlords.
the official website says 72 million premined. i don't know if they have changed it now but that is what i saw last time i checked.

It's a lower rate as a percentage than BTC started with, because BTC wasn't premined.
i don't understand what you are trying to say.
creation rate is how many coins are created in a timeframe like 24 hours.
bitcoin: 2025BTC per day
ethereum: 17705 ETH per day (8.74x faster)

There are many reasonable ways of insulting altcoins.  Please use them.
i am not insulting anything, i am just stating numbers and facts regarding those numbers.

BTC dominance will depend on the result of the New York Agreement.  If there is a clear leader between the two chains, it will be particularly bullish.
there is always going to be only one bitcoin. whether it is current bitcoin or 2x bitcoin or cash bitcoin or blah blah bitcoin doesn't matter. the chain with majority support will be bitcoin.
and its dominance will always be all the things i mentioned above.

and it will only drop in case for example if merchants stop using bitcoin and start using an altcoin. and until that day altcoins will remain useless.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:39:36 PM

the official website says 72 million premined. i don't know if they have changed it now but that is what i saw last time i checked.
You are correct that there was a premine of 72 million, but incorrect that the 72 million coins are in possession of the Ethereum foundation.  Sixty million of the coins were sold in their ICO, and the remaining twelve million were seemingly split between the foundation and other contributors to the project.
i don't understand what you are trying to say.
creation rate is how many coins are created in a timeframe like 24 hours.
bitcoin: 2025BTC per day
ethereum: 17705 ETH per day (8.74x faster)
That's irrelevant to the significance of market cap.  The only thing that would be relevant to the significance of the market cap is if the coins were mined quickly relative to the existing supply, because miners wouldn't have to sell instantly to cover their electricity costs but could wait a little and push up the market cap.
there is always going to be only one bitcoin. whether it is current bitcoin or 2x bitcoin or cash bitcoin or blah blah bitcoin doesn't matter. the chain with majority support will be bitcoin.
and its dominance will always be all the things i mentioned above.
I agree.  I'm suggesting that BTC's dominance compared to alts will increase if there is a clear leading chain after the fork in November.  If there isn't, it will be bearish because people won't know what coin to spend and it'll be a problem for users and merchants.
and it will only drop in case for example if merchants stop using bitcoin and start using an altcoin. and until that day altcoins will remain useless.
So Bitcoin was useless when it was released because no merchants accepted it?  IMO it's important to consider the exact use cases behind an alt more than how popular it already is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: