Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:10:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Card vs GPU Card  (Read 1499 times)
jijikill (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:32:34 AM

I'm new to the mining scene , last few days I tried to source for suitable GPU for mining like RX 470 or GTX 1070, but all of them out of stock , so after some research I bought mining card Nvidia P106-100 . After setting up, everything runs smooth, temperature and hash rate all are good and less power consume. I don't see any disadvantages of it compared to GPU besides without second hand value.

What do you prefer Mining card or GPU? and what are the cons of mining card besides the second hand value thingy?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hanhniencsc

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:50:45 AM

I'm new to the mining scene , last few days I tried to source for suitable GPU for mining like RX 470 or GTX 1070, but all of them out of stock , so after some research I bought mining card Nvidia P106-100 . After setting up, everything runs smooth, temperature and hash rate all are good and less power consume. I don't see any disadvantages of it compared to GPU besides without second hand value.

What do you prefer Mining card or GPU? and what are the cons of mining card besides the second hand value thingy?
You can mining Zec or ETH OK, this is GOOD VGA for mining
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 07:09:35 AM

It's possible that the actual GPU chips just relabeled RX 470 or GTX 1060 chips that didn't meet the bar for mainstream cards. (Recall how many of AMD's single or triple core processors back in the day were dual or quad core CPUs that didn't quite meet standard, and so followed a silicon lottery for unlocking the "defective" core(s).) Unfortunately, we're not privy to this information. Do note, however, that chips that were initially considered to have minor defects aren't necessarily bad.

If the card is guaranteed to come with Samsung memory, then that may be an advantage.

Some mining cards may have higher-quality fans & bearings.

In short, I haven't found any reason to pay much extra for a mining-specific card.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
jijikill (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 10:25:43 AM

As far as I know, the mining specific cards only have a warranty of a few months. I've seen some with only 1 month warranty. Normal cards have at least 1 year warranty. They say it's voided if used for mining, but I have no idea how they would prove it was used for mining.

Personally I buy normal GPU cards because of the warranty thing and 2nd hand resell value issue you mention.

Do you still buy GPU right now, normally what model do you buy ? As I see most of the mainstream GPU for mining is totally out stock for now, some people are using GTX 1080 and 1080Ti but I think that's crazy
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 11:46:54 PM

I like the "no connector" Sapphire mining card design, due to better cooling.

I don't plan to sell the cards, as I have a use for them in DNet RC5 work once I stop mining with any I have.

Most folks though might want to keep resale value in mind - the mining cards WILL get hammered there when GPU mining crashes, though there will still be a SMALL market for them as second cards in a Crossfire/SLI setup or gaming under DirectX 12 or for folks doing various "crunching" type work.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ntsdm1

Activity: 394
Merit: 14

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 01:57:09 AM

crash of gpu mining?
personally i would not bet on that for the foreseeable future!
but if it would happen ... there is always a solution to everything !
https://www.seti.org/will always take your hash!
jijikill (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 09:42:20 AM

crash of gpu mining?

What is this organization doing? They pay u for hash rate?
Supercoiner111

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 10:43:26 AM

Not too much difference, mining cards have no video output. GPU cards have better warrenty and more resell value!

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 07:48:20 PM

crash of gpu mining?

What is this organization doing? They pay u for hash rate?

Perhaps the name "Seti@Home" might be more recogniseable?

And no, they don't "pay you for hashrate" as such - they are a mostly volunteer non-profit group - but they ARE part of BOINC and on the Whitelist of projects that Gridcoin supports, so in an indirect way you could earn SOME income for working on their project.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Johny101010

Activity: 218

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 08:21:46 PM

Where did you get the mining cards. I thought the only way to get them was in big bulk buys? Are they available to consumers?

fgm

Activity: 43

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 12:22:16 AM

Watchout for the Gigabyte 1060 3gb windforce 2 -mi, it has Hynix memory, 15mh stock, 19 + 500
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 01:16:52 AM

Resale is the biggest factor for me :/   There's no denying the port-less mining only cards will have a WAY smaller pool of buyers Sad
Honestly we have had threads about these cards here before, they rebranded 1060 and 460, cause they sold WAY less than 470 and 1070, and sold them to nubs as "mining cards". New miners got caught in it, most vets just laughed at these cards

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
mike0912

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:03:13 AM

I would say mining card.
Far cheaper and cost efficient then the GPU card
makomako

Activity: 210

altcom Aa4DWXQjrcEA8gPBLkx6t9VgCuWoCo1myE

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:16:07 AM

Nvidia P106-100 is a mining card that is equal to the Nvidia 1060 gpu
only difference with the two is that gpu cards has a higher chance of resell and also interms of value

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:28:38 AM

Where did you get the mining cards. I thought the only way to get them was in big bulk buys? Are they available to consumers?

Several of the Sapphire "mining" cards are listed on Newegg, though availability has been spotty like on pretty much ANY RX 470/480/570/580 card the last few months.

KiwiMining

Activity: 18

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:42:18 AM

I prefer the 1080ti's to be honest, I took them out of current gaming rigs in the house to do a test and have just placed a small order for x6 MSI GTX 1080TI's so will run them for a week or so once arrives and if I'm happy I might do a couple of more orders depending if in stock or not at my local supplier.

Just a side note, Mining is not too crazy here in New Zealand so if any of you guys are after cards I can check stock count and set you up with some good prices. Smiley
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 11:47:53 AM

Resale value and warranty are the main difference between mining cards and regular GPU's.  I'm sticking with regular cards for now unless there are significant price differences.  But then again, you also have to take availability into consideration.
MTHOZ

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 01:26:23 PM

Just think what if market crashes and bitcoin also altcoins will be worthless what can you do with that mining card?  but if you have a gaming gpu you can just sell it close  to price you bought them

▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬
● PLINKO  (+) ROULETTE ║ BITVEST ║ |7| SLOTS    ▼ BIT SPIN (https://bitvest.io/)
▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬
JohnBitCo

Activity: 2030
Merit: 356

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:53:06 AM

I wouldn't even call it resale value or second hand value, just the fact that if you're not 100% sure that you want to use it for that purpose than a GPU card obviously serves many purposes. At the same time, there are people that May multi-purpose the machine and only use it for mining at certain times.
jennywhzz

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:54:17 AM

For your purposes obviously you made the right choice, but for other people they may have not made the complete decision to go with crypto mining, and they may have other considerations.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: