Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:35:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like they may have found the MtGox crooks?  (Read 2773 times)
Veldy (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:54:11 AM

You all decide what it means.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/22/fbi-seizes-web-servers-taking-out-websites/

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iBTC

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:57:13 AM

This has nothing to do with MtGox.

They took him cuz he hosted the IRC for the lulzsec hacking group.
dinzy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:58:31 AM

Huh?  This has nothing to do with MtGox nor does the FBI since it is based in Japan. 
Valalvax

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:59:07 AM

If Fox is right about them being with LulzSec, then they had nothing to do with MtGox, LulzSec wasn't behind MtGox

Huh?  This has nothing to do with MtGox nor does the FBI since it is based in Japan. 

Where MTux lives wouldn't have anything to do with who issued the warrant/raided the hackers, the servers are located in the US, but the hackers could live anywhere in the world, or theoretically off of it, but I doubt anyone on the ISS would be hacking for long before being discovered heh...
Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:48:24 AM

I wonder what will happen to the 19 year old kid from the UK. He actually lives in the same town as my girlfriend is from.

I bet the UK government won't let the US take him, even though that group accessed US security systems as well as banking and Fox, I believe.

I bet he's sitting the a police cell, crapping himself at the thought of being in a US prison, the bum bitch of some neo nazi type, lol

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:51:15 AM

Where MTux lives wouldn't have anything to do with who issued the warrant/raided the hackers, the servers are located in the US

No, Mt. Gox servers are located in Japan. Mark Karpeles also owns his hosting company, Kalyhost.
Far as I know, Tradehill uses it as well.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Archatos

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:45:08 AM

I believe it means the FBI raided a datacenter and confiscated some servers. This actually happens quite often, so could you please enlighten us on how you made the jump in logic to deduct that this had something to do with Mt. Gox being hacked?
Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:54:15 PM

I believe it means the FBI raided a datacenter and confiscated some servers. This actually happens quite often, so could you please enlighten us on how you made the jump in logic to deduct that this had something to do with Mt. Gox being hacked?

I just posted a link.  You either connect the dots or not.  Like I said, you decided.  There is more there than meets the eye.

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
finack

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:07:42 PM

FOX was wrong anyway (quelle surprise!) the DigitalONE server seizures related to an invetigation of a scareware fake AV distribution scheme.

http://blog.instapaper.com/post/6830514157

Why on earth would you think the only server seizure you hear about in the news relates to the thing you're all worried about? Shit like this goes on every day.
CubedRoot

Activity: 291

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:19:08 AM

Bit of a stretch to associate this article with the mtgox attack
Tronlet

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:24:29 AM

Yeah, all that nonsense was just sensationalist reporting. They spelled Ryan Cleary's name wrong, and failed to mention that the police never said anything about him being involved in Lulzsec, and in fact later released further info that helped disprove that theory even further. Any supposed connection aside from Cleary running a fansite chat for lulzsec was solely reporters extrapolating.

And even further, there is literally no reason to connect.

Quote from: Fox
It was unclear what -- if anything at all -- connected the raid and the FBI's ongoing investigation of the hackers.
I lol'd. What kind of reporter puts a sentence outlining the major flaw in the article at the end of the article?

Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:07:27 AM

FOX article wondered about a tie or not, right?

How about this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/22/lulzsec-rogue-suspected-of-bitcoin-hack

Bitcoin is an alluring target for a hacker and a great place to set a trap for somebody looking for a hacker.

joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:05:49 AM

FOX article wondered about a tie or not, right?

How about this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/22/lulzsec-rogue-suspected-of-bitcoin-hack

Bitcoin is an alluring target for a hacker and a great place to set a trap for somebody looking for a hacker.
I fail to see any reference to any sources in that article. It sounds a lot like Guardian either made up the link on the spot, or semi-quoted a random Bitcoin forum post that had no supporting evidence.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
finack

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:03:16 PM

I fail to see any reference to any sources in that article. It sounds a lot like Guardian either made up the link on the spot, or semi-quoted a random Bitcoin forum post that had no supporting evidence.

Yeah, that guardian article reads like bullshit 101. It's really only one step away from the conspiracy nut posts here on this forum blaming the CIA / mossad for the hack. The whole article could be rewritten substituting rogue CIA agent for rogue lulzsec member and it would be similarly supportable.

Let's be real clear: there is absolutely zero evidence that any law enforcement agency is even looking into the mt. gox intrusion. Let alone has any suspects.
Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:18:18 PM

That article is older than the FOX article.  I could be wrong, but the speculation that LulsZec or other specific hacker group was involved was not from here [I can't claim to have read every post in the bitcoin forums]. 

I can say that bitcoin related sites were run by profit motivated operators, so much so that it was at the expense of security (still is with Slush excluding the massive IP blocking his routers or machines must be burdened with).  In spite of the huge sums of money or bitcoins, sites didn't even use https (come on .. duh!!!) until DDOS started probing and individuals started losing coins from their pool accounts.  Then there is MtGox, the largest target of them all, just waiting to be hit and clearly running a very primitive interface that barely keeps up with the load .. in fact, often didn't.  If you were the FBI, Interpol or any other law enforcement agency looking to catch a hacker group in action, no better trap could have been laid; and they didn't even have to do any work; just watch and wait.

Is there a connection between the two events?  Who knows?  The FOX author clearly thought there might be.

My point was really less about the subject line about who did it.  More about bitcoin, popularity, press and scrutiny [and usefulness, at least once as a means to catch hackers in action red handed].  So, connecting the dots for the people that don't want to; it is VERY LIKELY that international law enforcement likes it here.  Certainly all this comes on the heals of some quite public scrutiny by two [fairly clueless] US Senators.

Keep your nose clean, keep on the up side and stick to HONEST bitcoin business and you will be fine.

Like I said, you decide. 

YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 05:01:20 PM

If it were a rogue luzsec....think LulzSec would nail em one way or another and seek to protect the happy go lucky corporate hackers are we image they have built for themselves.

Look at the basics......
Don't know for how long hacker had access to Gox....maybe a week or two.
After the Attack, hacker drops the db on to the web....why....make the evidence of guilt so widespread ass is covered.
Hacker makes no "Hahaaa I reaped your dudz...lulz!!11!" announcement.

Sheer speculation denotes that the Hacker is an ultra Serious European(possible German) named Simon in the 25-30 demographic who listens to Everclear and has sadistic tendencies.
Tronlet

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 10:21:36 PM

In following with the original poster, I have done some research and found out who I think may very well be the leader of LulzSec.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/june-10-2011-mugs?page=0

Does that guy look like the sort of nerd who would run LulzSec or what? Plus, drunk driving! Exactly the kind of irresponsible activity that a LulzSec leader would partake in.

Now, I'm not saying anything. I just posted a link. You either connect the dots or not. You decide. There is more here than meets the eye.  Wink

Edit: Just read that guardian article, Veldy... It just had a cool looking title, the actual article made a brief reference that it was possible that a former LulzSec associate who had gone rogue had done the hacking, and then never provided any reasoning for this and forgot about the point completely.

joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 01:51:46 AM

sites didn't even use https (come on .. duh!!!) until DDOS started probing and individuals started losing coins from their pool accounts
... wait, what?

EDIT: This very much reminds me of the guy on AboveTopSecret who claimed there were whole sockpuppet armies on the AnonOps IRC network as a lot of users were quitting at the same time (clearly lacking knowledge about how IRC worked, or he would have understood those moments were netsplits).

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2011, 01:54:32 AM

the taliban were behind mtgox..... their funding died with osama

FOR THE LULZ

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 03:29:56 AM

sites didn't even use https (come on .. duh!!!) until DDOS started probing and individuals started losing coins from their pool accounts
... wait, what?

Not replying to your edit here (nothing to say about it).  No pool that I know of [or of significance] used HTTPS until one person at Deepbit had over 100BTC stolen [which Tycho paid for I believe].  I seem to recall several other accounts [a very small % of all however] had their payout wallet address changed to point to somebody else thus ripping off miners who didn't notice the change. Tycho implemented HTTPS after that and BTCMine followed suit shortly there after.  Slush still hasn't done so to my knowledge.  BTC Guild did it pretty quickly after it went online.  I wasn't referring to MtGox if that is what you were thinking; they suffer[ed] from an entirely different set of problems.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: