Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 01:46:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Pre-BCH-Fork" BTC Blockchain folder as base for updating BCH BitcoinABC -THANKS  (Read 233 times)
Sonix711 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 01:56:45 PM

hey everyone Smiley

Before the BCH fork, I folder coppied my BTC Blockchain folder, trying to be clever, so I didnt have to re-download the BCH blockchain again, in theory...Last night I tried using BitcoinABC wallet with the blockchain copy, and it was syncing, only from 1 other node, but that node had a top block number that matched BTC, not BCH top block number...
There is no chance of me downloading the BCH blockchain from beginning if I've gotta download 150GB again...
I don't think I balzed anything up...
Any help or info well appreciated...

Cheers !!! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:18:07 PM

I brought up Bitcoin-ABC by copying the existing Bitcoin-Core folder.  But I deleted the blk*.dat files created after 7/1/2017 (just to be safe) and specified -reindex the first time that I started Bitcoin-ABC.  This essentially deleted all of the blocks/index, blocks/rev*.dat and chainstate.  It took almost 2 days for the reindex to complete (which is considerably slower than Bitcoin-Core, not sure why).

Be sure to specify a different data directory to avoid contaminating your Bitcoin directory (assuming you still want to run Bitcoin-Core).  If you are on Linux, you can use symbolic links for the early blk*.dat files to avoid copying them to the Bitcoin-ABC directory (Bitcoin-ABC will not change the existing block files).  I am running both Bitcoin-Core and Bitcoin-ABC on the same VPS by specifying port 7333 instead of 8333 for the Bitcoin-ABC daemon.  I also modified Bitcoin-ABC to accept connections only from nodes with the BitcoinCash service bit.  I also modified Bitcoin-Core to reject connections from nodes with the BitcoinCash service bit.

If you are on Windows, I found that Bitcoin-QT remembers the last data directory (it must store the information in the Windows registry).  So you need to specify -datadir for both Bitcoin-Core and Bitcoin-ABC to avoid contaminating the Bitcoin data directory.  You also need to specify -datadir for the bitcoin-cli command so that it uses the correct data directory.
Sonix711 (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:58:50 PM

hey Smiley

cheers for the reply !!! Smiley

ok, I deleted the *.blk files back to 30 June 2017, ran BitcoinABC with -datadir=blablabla and -rescan switches, and BitcoinABC had a cpp hissy fit, crapped on my live BTC folder copy folder, and am now 8 years behind on the blocks, with blk000000.dat dated today and currently 16MB in size Smiley my blk0001.dat onwards are dated 12 July 2015 and are about 125MB in size Smiley I still have a total folder size of 135GB Smiley ...thats cool though - I figured I was screwed anyway - thats what backup copy backup folders are for - man, I got sooo many GB used in blockchain live and backup data, it makes me sick !!! Smiley and most of that is BTC / BCH / Armory databases...

Looks like its BCH game over currently for me...so, if I can download 2GB a day without too many nitemares, I'm gonna need to download the BCH blockchain for how many days...I mean weeks...I mean months... Smiley

Whoever said "Big Blocks" are a good thing really needs a frickin reality check !!!

Cheers again for the reply - very informative, very well written, very much appreciated !!! Smiley

The illusion of making progress, yet also making no real progress... Smiley
Sonix711 (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:36:48 PM

UPDATE:-
=========

I use FreeFileSync, which is awesome, and free obviously, and Multi-OS... I re-synced my blockchain copy folder again from my blockchain backup folder from 30 July 2017 - about 3 GB was different - I BitcoinABC rescanned the folder, which took about 30mins ish...

The BitcoinABC wallet then connected to a bunch of other nodes, all with the same top block number as BTC, so, yeah, NO, this doesn't seem to work !!!

So, currently, if you don't hold it, or can't get to it, you don't own it, so effectively its either not yours or is worthless to you...

BCH Trash Cash is just that - a joke from beginning to end - free cash my ass - more like free trash... what a waste of time, effort, and frickin disk space and network / internet bandwidth !!!

BCH Trash Cash gets the top award for being the most useless coin around, as far as I can see !!!

BCH Trash Cash to $5, if that !!! Smiley

I think the lack of responses to this post really says it all !!! Smiley

Cheers !!! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: