Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:25:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitoin-qt wallet wont open what can i do  (Read 464 times)
amandamin (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:17:27 PM

please help in basic layman's terms i had bit coins a few years ago and have recently found my laptop they were on but when i try to open the wallet it starts to load then stops after a few mins loading blocks and addresses, any advice , all the files seem to be on my computers systems i think, i am not very savvy but can follow basic instructions, please help xx Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2017, 02:19:18 PM

What version of bitcoin-qt/Bitcoin Core are you using? What operating system are you using?

amandamin (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:26:04 PM

i have no idea how do i find out
amandamin (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:34:20 PM

laptop is running windows
Herschy

Activity: 121
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 02:55:05 PM

please help in basic layman's terms i had bit coins a few years ago and have recently found my laptop they were on but when i try to open the wallet it starts to load then stops after a few mins loading blocks and addresses, any advice , all the files seem to be on my computers systems i think, i am not very savvy but can follow basic instructions, please help xx Huh

Open the folder where wallet.dat is stored (For Windows 10 it is) "/ user_dir / appdata / bitcoin /"
Find there the file debug.log, open it and copy the contents of it and show us

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
amandamin (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:11:26 PM

cant find wallet.dat file
amandamin (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:21:06 PM

have found wallet.db.h
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:05:10 PM

Were you not using that laptop for few years? Do you know how many approximately? If it is pretty old, then it might be the old Windows XP.
I wouldn't even start that old PC for security reasons. I would boot TailsOS and move that wallet to somewhere else safe. And put it in a new Bitcoin Core software on a new PC.

PS: wallet should be in a data directory https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory#Windows
amandamin (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:28:04 PM

once i have moved the wallet info to a usb stick and downloaded a new version to my other pc what do i do then
i have found the files  Smiley
Juscelia

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:30:38 PM

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 11:17:03 PM

once i have moved the wallet info to a usb stick and downloaded a new version to my other pc what do i do then

If you have found the files, there is one labelled debug.log in that folder?
Can you open that using notepad and copy and paste it's entire contents here?

Also, try booting the computer in safe mode: http://support.eset.com/kb2268/?locale=en_US - and see if you can start your bitcoin core wallet on that (just to eliminate if there are any problems with the program itself.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 12:43:40 PM

The wallet file should be called "wallet.dat". Ok, now start that new version Bitcoin Core on that pc. It will create it's data folder, you can look up the location on the link I post earlier. I think it should create a wallet.dat file as well. Now just turn the Bitcoin Core off, don't need to wait for the sync to finish and replace the new wallet.dat in your data directory with your old wallet.dat from the usb. You might need to run Bitcoin Core with the option "--rescan" next time you start your Bitcoin Core. Either way, after sync is over (it can take quite a while), you will be able to use your bitcoins normally.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: