Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:04:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin forum is terrible  (Read 6267 times)
fergalish (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:34:53 AM

The bitcoin forum used to be a place of lively discussion of political and economic theories and practices.  Now it has descended into a junk name-calling forum full of irrelevant and ridiculous topics, each topic full of irrelevant and ridiculous posts.  Can anyone suggest an alternative bitcoin forum for me to join?  Is there any?
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:35:54 AM

The bitcoin forum used to be a place of lively discussion of political and economic theories and practices.  Now it has descended into a junk name-calling forum full of irrelevant and ridiculous topics, each topic full of irrelevant and ridiculous posts.  Can anyone suggest an alternative bitcoin forum for me to join?  Is there any?

http://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin
Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:36:55 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin

/r/trees is much better [20]

dutt

Activity: 135

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 06:42:42 AM

It really is pretty terrible. There needs to be a invite-only/heavily moderated forum that gets rid of the morons.

Chick

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:43:44 AM

It really is pretty terrible. There needs to be a invite-only/heavily moderated forum that gets rid of the morons.

We need to throw them in here.

fergalish (OP)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:44:24 AM

Preferably a forum where the devs are listening...

That'd be nice.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:44:53 AM

Ever since June 3 or June 4 it's gotten really bad, all these new people coming in since the Silk Road stories.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 06:49:25 AM

I lol'd.
Name:    imperi
Respect:    0
Position:    Hero Member
Date Registered:    June 04, 2011, 08:05:57 am

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
cottoneyeJoe

Activity: 91

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:50:00 AM

Youre right. And I'm sorry for my part in that.

I think things had just gotten so tense and accusatory with everyone on edge about recent events of the hackerly/conspiratorial/no talent ass clown nature that some juvenile steam needed to be blown off....gallows humor, perhaps...

T-minus what now?
BBanzai

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:51:44 AM

Anywhere you go...there you are.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:00:26 AM

Changing things starts with you; Think of a useful, relevant, non-redundant topic and start a thread.
I started a thread ~12 hours ago that now has over 25 or 30 replies and last time I looked there was a great discussion with no trolls.

Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:02:42 AM

You could try bitcoinforums.net.  There may be others out there as well.

This forum needs to be removed from the bitcoin.org domain and moved to its own domain.  It shouldn't have any official sanction from the main site.  Let the various forums compete for users based on quality, rather than having a single poorly-run official forum.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:18:36 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2011, 09:17:57 AM by Vladimir

That'd be nice.

"Devs" left this forum long ago... They cannot be expected to listen to all this noise.

-
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:31:43 AM

That'd be nice.

"Devs" left this forum long ago... The cannot be expected to listen to all this noise.
Not true.  I just got a reply from Gavin in one of my more technical question-asking threads today.
Brainslug

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:16:35 AM

Maybe reporting all the troll-threads and -posts would make things a bit better. Though I agree, even though I've only been on this board for a few weeks I too witnessed the upcoming of all the trolls and kiddies hoping to make a quick buck. I guess something like an ignore-function would also be nice so you don't get threads/posts displayed by people you ignore.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 09:33:54 AM

I would love to see an ignore function.

SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

Your Minion

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:36:54 AM

I would love to see an ignore function.

Please yes, was saddened by it absence even more so by the rash of troll's and spammers as of late.
Completely agree with the OP.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:39:45 AM

You can help by thinking about the way you post, too. (Not referring to anyone in particular here.)

Think before posting. If you find someone's writings raising your blood pressure, back away from the keyboard. Do not write anything until you've calmed down. When you do reply, vet your responses for anything that could be considered offensive. Once you've written your posting, go through it, sentence by sentence, and prune all the barbs. There's always a neutral way to say whatever it is you want to say, and even if your counterpart is a bona fide troll, remaining civil and calm will soon rob them of mistakes to latch on to. Either the other will respond in a reasonable manner and your discussion will go somewhere, or they'll degenerate further into ad hominems and irrelevancies, at which point you can with good conscience discontinue any discussion.

If a discussion is truly going nowhere, withdraw from it. Offer no insult, just take your leave.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:33:28 AM

Theres many bitcoin forums you can choose one. Heres mine

www.tweetforum.com/bitcoin

twitter.com/bitcoinforum

I built a forum that connects to twitter and sends the users updates on every post, so they are always connected. I love this forum though , it's not perfect, but it really gets the job done.
relative

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:41:29 AM

Think before posting.

that's not going to do it.

most ideas regarding the bitcoin technology are usually either met with "keep your stinking hands of my bitcoins" or "go fork the blockchain and 'fork' yourself" to have your idea implemented.

this forum is about speculation instead of technology now and the attitude is very similar to other "investment" forums.
which is no surprise, as bitcoin is about speculation right now, as there is no economy accepting bitcoin to speak of.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: