Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:19:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox going to charge for 2 step authentication!  (Read 4474 times)
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 06:43:12 AM

I still trust mt gox and will continue to use them. The past is the past and they themself didn't wrong me.
BUT their support thread says they are getting 2 step authentication (like paypals) but they want to charge for it!
That is BS! If they do not use yubikey (which I will buy a yubi key, one time fee) and then use it for free I may not use mt gox any more.
After what happened, there is ZERO reason to charge for extra security.
What do you guys think?

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

June 23, 2011, 06:47:20 AM

+1 for yubikey
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 06:51:11 AM

Symantec VIP charge sites thousands, it may be nice but yubikey is just as good and FREE to websites.
So mt gox BETTER have us buy our own from yubikey, no reselling, then use it for FREE on their site.
It's free for them and it is SHADY to try to charge us, especially after what happened.

Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:17:11 AM

I think I will just go to TradeHill, like many others, even though they have a crazy international transfer fee. I'll just have to withdraw more money at a time.
bitcoinTrader

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:24:27 AM

I think I will just go to TradeHill, like many others, even though they have a crazy international transfer fee. I'll just have to withdraw more money at a time.

Yeah, even I have shifted to tradehill, and with increasing volume and international withdrawal option, suits me just fine.

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:53:13 AM

Tradehill

International transfer fee: $45

A bad joke? How are they going to compete with Mt. Gox which has free withdrawals?
Sending a wire doesn't cost nearly that much from anywhere in the world nor is it justifiable in spent work time (since a transfer only takes less than a minute to fill out online)

Once the new Mt. Gox site is back up again with SHA-512 encrypted passes, even "security" will be a bad reason to switch.

Tbh, all I ever see is poor referral link spammers promoting Tradehill and hoping people will join it so they get 10% commission.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
killer2021

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:01:09 AM

Tradehill

A bad joke? How are they going to compete with Mt. Gox which has free withdrawals?
Sending a wire doesn't cost nearly that much from anywhere in the world nor is it justifiable in spent work time (since a transfer only takes less than a minute to fill out online)

Once the new Mt. Gox site is back up again with SHA-512 encrypted passes, even "security" will be a bad reason to switch.

Tbh, all I ever see is poor referral link spammers promoting Tradehill and hoping people will join it.

No joke. Tradehill looks exactly like mtgox and does pretty much the same thing, yet the fees are pretty much the same. Thats like someone ripping off someone else's idea and then selling the product for 10% more than the original product...

Right now, tradehill is in the position to beat mtgox IF they are smart about it. What I am referring to is that tradehill has the power to steal most of mtgox's customers.

How can they do this? Simple, make buying/selling btc on the market free and maybe charge like 1% for withdraws. If tradehill were to do this, they would quickly beat mtgox.

Plus I think tradehill will be a better exchange in the long run. Why? Because the founder seems to be rather active in the community (ie. posting on these forums). Meanwhile, mtgox is no where to be found on these forums as far as I know.

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
1H6mqgB6UcqKt2SrCmhjxUp9np1Xrbkdj7
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 09:14:36 AM

Actually ive seen mtgox quite a bit. Find his profile then look at the posts.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 09:20:56 AM

+1 for yubikey
If someone donates a yubikey I'll implement the two factor authentication in bitcoin-central's codebase so anyone can open an exchange with awesome security out of the box.

If someone's interested PM for postal address.

muad_dib

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:26:09 AM

+1 for yubikey
If someone donates a yubikey I'll implement the two factor authentication in bitcoin-central's codebase so anyone can open an exchange with awesome security out of the box.

there are better ways than yubikey.

http://www.openauthentication.org/

In the era of internet, we need to avoid the step of shipping a physical device to ensure security, as it is expensive and not scalable.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 09:26:14 AM

Tradehill

AFAIK mtgox didn't offer international wire withdrawals at all. You'd have to use Dwolla or LR or other such US-specific nonsense I'd never heard of before starting with Bitcoin.

Meanwhile, mtgox is no where to be found on these forums as far as I know.
MagicalTux.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 09:29:11 AM

AFAIK mtgox didn't offer international wire withdrawals at all. You'd have to use Dwolla or LR or other such US-specific nonsense I'd never heard of before starting with Bitcoin.
Yes they do, you can fund accounts and withdraw EUR in SEPA zone for the price of a domestic bank transfer (mostly free).
Also, they did offer international withdrawal options if specifically requested.

bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 09:31:35 AM

+1 for yubikey

In the era of internet, we need to avoid the step of shipping a physical device to ensure security, as it is expensive and not scalable.

yup http://code.google.com/p/google-authenticator/

muad_dib

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:37:39 AM

+1 for yubikey

yup http://code.google.com/p/google-authenticator/

Indeed.

Anyhow I was wondering which is the best way to deliver the OTP.

An Android phone? Can we count on the fact that every person has an Android Phone?

An Iphone? No. Apple refused to accept a similar app I developed for a business customer. We resolved to use it on jailbroken devices/

A windows machine? Sorry but it might be infected, so your OTPs wouldnt be safe.

SMS? Sorry, too expensive. One could finish all your credit by sending unwanted OTPs.

Mumble mumble mumble...
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:08:56 AM

also never want a stupid dongle or cardmachine
muad_dib

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:17:16 AM

also never want a stupid dongle or cardmachine

then you should buy an android phone.

Everyone is willing to do that?
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 10:43:49 AM

a lot of people have android so at least google authenticator is free and does protect a lot of people.
yubikey can be a second choice.
google also works with blackberry.
i dont think anyone with an apple is bright enough to use bitcoin any way.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 10:47:36 AM

a lot of people have android so at least google authenticator is free and does protect a lot of people.
doesn't that only work for signing-in with a google account ?

yubikey can be a second choice.
Somehow I really like the idea of optional second step that people can buy from a third party

i dont think anyone with an apple is bright enough to use bitcoin any way.
think harder

muad_dib

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 10:59:11 AM

doesn't that only work for signing-in with a google account ?

You need a google account to access the market and download the application,  and google authenticator is setup for gmail, but Google gives you all the source code, so you can have a parallel implementation independent from OpenID.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 11:03:43 AM

You need a google account to access the market and download the application,  and google authenticator is setup for gmail, but Google gives you all the source code, so you can have a parallel implementation independent from OpenID.
So you're saying that if I want to setup such a mechanism without relying on google accounts I need to modify the google authenticator for every single device I want to support ? (and then maintain the apps). Or am I missing something here ?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: