Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:17:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the transaction fee for BTC is too high?  (Read 1104 times)
dadabosade (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 02:01:50 AM

If you trade your BTC on websites like Bittrex or Cryptopia the fees can be $5, sometimes the fee is equal to half of your withdrawals. So do you think the fee is too high? If not then explain to me, please.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 02:11:57 AM

If you trade your BTC on websites like Bittrex or Cryptopia the fees can be $5, sometimes the fee is equal to half of your withdrawals. So do you think the fee is too high? If not then explain to me, please.

I am not aware that Bittrex is charging that much for trading...all I know is that the charge per transaction is very minimal. I have been using Bittrex since I got enamored with trading many months ago and I still do some trading from time to time with Bittrex since it is very newbie friendly.

Are you talking perhaps with withdrawing your Bitcoin from these exchanges to your own personal Bitcoin wallet? I am aware that there is already a significant reduction of fees since the Segwit was activated many days ago and come November we would have another upgrade that can hopefully deal with making the transactions faster as it should be and that can result into lower fees since there would be less clogging.
heitorlinks

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2017, 02:13:50 AM

Usually the default fee is 0.0003 whether for small or large transactions, you can raise the fee for confirmation to be prioritized.

The rates of the exchange house must be consulted in the tab "fees" to know the value. Cool
Frank0209

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 02:21:39 AM

I'm using coinbase wallet and I feel its transaction fee is really high. It's changing everyday maybe I just need to pay 0.0004 BTC for transaction fee at the last day but It'll increase 2 or 3 times at the next day Sad. And now it's 0.00115 BTC fee for a transaction. About transaction fee on Bittrex or poloniex I feel it's ok cause It's always stable, it's not changed although BTC price decrease or increase
BCMB

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2017, 02:25:22 AM

Are you talking about the Bitcoin network transaction fee? Or just the cut that these exchanges make whenever you make a trade?

jagdeepjd

Activity: 700
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 05:51:19 AM

yes i also feel the transaction fees is increasing on many wallet day by day on coinbase i used to pay around 30-40k fees back in when btc was around 1000$ and now btc price has surged so did the transaction fees on wallets . to send 0.01 btc if you are paying 0.001btc its way too high
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:00:35 AM

when you "trade" your BTC on websites like those which are exchanges you pay "trading fees" not "transaction fees" and trading fees in dependent on the platform you are using. bittrex takes 0.25% and cryptopia takes 0.2% on each trade.
if you paid $5 that means you paid 0.00108BTC and that means you have been trading with ~0.432BTC and that is normal.

transaction fees they take for withdrawal is always fixed no matter what. bittrex takes 0.001BTC and cryptopia takes    0.0008BTC which are $4.6 and $3.68 respectively.

if you don't like either of these fees you can stop using those services and use another one that offers lower fees. (good luck finding a more trusted place).

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Somz1

Activity: 420
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:04:29 AM

It's Hugh now,but you can see gradual decline when segwit gets properly Integrated, also lightning network could easily eradicate the need for fees soon
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:12:55 AM

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is, "why am I withdrawing $10 at a time?" Bitcoin isn't coffee money anymore. These types of fees can largely be avoided by manually entering correct fees per 21co (aim for a 0-1 block delay, not next block). As for the exchanges, they have to deal with lots and lots of inputs, so their transactions are large. As long as blocks are full, there will be this sort of fee pressure.

So when it comes to exchanges, you should be limiting the number of times you withdraw. Make larger withdrawals to your local wallets where you can control the fees (and your transactions are smaller). And start batching your payments in general to save on fees.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
craZyLovE0916

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:22:58 AM

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is, "why am I withdrawing $10 at a time?" Bitcoin isn't coffee money anymore. These types of fees can largely be avoided by manually entering correct fees per 21co (aim for a 0-1 block delay, not next block). As for the exchanges, they have to deal with lots and lots of inputs, so their transactions are large. As long as blocks are full, there will be this sort of fee pressure.

So when it comes to exchanges, you should be limiting the number of times you withdraw. Make larger withdrawals to your local wallets where you can control the fees (and your transactions are smaller). And start batching your payments in general to save on fees.

Bro, haven't you heard of Lightning Network? You can use the Lightning Network to make almost instant, free transactions... it will be launched in 2018 most likely and Bitcoin will be like it started only much higher price. hahaha
Doms

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:25:55 AM

Currently, the transaction fees are a little high for my taste, even if we are talking about small transactions. The fees are not supposed to increase so much, regardless if the price rises or falls. Everyone should be free to send even the smallest amounts at a certain percentage, maybe on a sidechain.
Sniper150

Activity: 357
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:36:54 AM

Transaction fees weren't that much really high because you choose altcoin then you accept the fact that you are talking about, you would also know that not only one process when you are trading your coin. Expect that you spend money for fees before you can get your money. Other trading sites have high transaction fees that's why it is better to hold and wait for the price to increase.
k@suy

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:50:20 AM

Bro, haven't you heard of Lightning Network? You can use the Lightning Network to make almost instant, free transactions... it will be launched in 2018 most likely and Bitcoin will be like it started only much higher price. hahaha

That is true, this lightning network will send bitcoin price to another highest again. This is what I like with bitcoin, it continues to innovate to meet the public demand. I hope that bitcoin price will be lower as I find it expensive on my opinion added to that that btc value is increasing.
h0lybyte

Activity: 924
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 06:52:57 AM

Usually the default fee is 0.0003 whether for small or large transactions, you can raise the fee for confirmation to be prioritized.

The rates of the exchange house must be consulted in the tab "fees" to know the value. Cool
It is not only 0.0003 for both smaller an larger amount of transactions,some wallets do not let you personalise fee.
Recently i moved from coinbase to xapo thinking that it would minimize fee but there is no option to edit your fee.
Their system auto detect amount that you are to transfer and increase network fee accordingly.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 07:31:43 AM

The fee is as high as people are ready to pay. Try 20-30sat/b and it will get confirmed. It might take 10-60 minutes or sometimes a bit more.
If you hold your Bitcoins on centralized exchanges, they chose the fee for you. It's not Bitcoins fault. Bitcoin is working fine.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
GideonGono

Activity: 2016
Merit: 501

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2017, 07:37:03 AM

I'm using coinbase wallet and I feel its transaction fee is really high. It's changing everyday maybe I just need to pay 0.0004 BTC for transaction fee at the last day but It'll increase 2 or 3 times at the next day Sad. And now it's 0.00115 BTC fee for a transaction. About transaction fee on Bittrex or poloniex I feel it's ok cause It's always stable, it's not changed although BTC price decrease or increase

As we know, Bitcoin's fee in poloniex doesn't change but it doesn't mean that they will not adjust the fee and any other wallets since Bitcoin's price is increasing and so thus its value meaning to say even if it remains stagnant but if we consider its value it is rather getting expensive do they?

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
mondobitcoin

Activity: 686
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 07:39:32 AM

Yes now the fees are too high Sad me too i have payed high fees for transactions
But i think in the next month we can see a stabilisation and the fees will lower
Youghoor

Activity: 1036
Merit: 275

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 07:57:27 AM

Yes i think that right now fees are too high, two days ago i had to send a payment of $20 to a guy, and i had to pay $6,5 of fees for that transaction, that is too much money, even more fees than PayPal or any other payment gateway.
But i am not complaining at all, because i use altcoins most of the time and transactions are fully confirmed in less than two minutes and fees are usually less than $0,15
yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 08:10:05 AM

in coinbase.com platform a fix of .0003 transaction fee is quite reasonable you can tell if it is too high unless your bitcoin value is too low like you send .008 btc and a tx fee of .0003 is to much high but a bitcoin of .08 and a tx fee of .0003 is quite low, the transaction tx fee may vary from site to site. some charges are thru fix percentage and some are thru fix btc value.
filharvey

Activity: 866
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 08:18:06 AM

I don't think so that such a reputed exchange like Bittrex would be charging such a huge charge.I have seen that in poloniex,the transaction fee is just 0.0001 btc and in bittrex also,it seems a little bit near to it.The transaction fee in other wallets is high and if you set the transaction fee low,then it would not get confirmed quickly.But we could also notice that their is a sudden fall in transaction fee this week and transactions get confirmed very quickly with even very low fee.We could continuously enjoy low transaction fee once segwit gets completely locked in in november after which high increase in  bitcoin price could be expected.

▄█▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▄▄
           ▄█▀ ▄▄█▀▀   ▀█▄▄▀▀█▄▄
          ▀▀  ▀▀          ▀▀█▄█▀
    ▄▄▀  ▄█▀▀                    ▄   ▄▄
  ▄█▀▄▄█▀           ▄▄           ▀▀█▄ ▀█
 ▄▀ █▀     ▄▄██▄▄   ██   ▄▄██▄▄      █▄ █
 █ ▀█   ▄▄█▀▀   ▀██▄▄█▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀██▄▄   █ █
 █     █▀ ▄▄█▀▀█▄▄ ▀██▀  ▄██▀█▄▄ ▀▀█  █ █
 █  ▄  █ ██▀ ▄▄▄ ▀█ ██ █▀▀ ▄▄▄ ▀██ █  █ █
 █ ██  ▀ ██ █▀▀▀█▄▄ ▀█ ▄▄█▀▀▀▀█ ██ ▀  █ █
   ██    █▀ ▄▄█▄  ▀▀███▀▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█    ▀ █
   ██    ▄▄██▀ ▄▄█▄ ██  █▄▄ ▀▀██▄▄      █