Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:05:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you edit the # of Bitcoins you have?  (Read 1733 times)
Chick (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:52:11 AM

The Bitcoin client is open source, so shouldn't there be a way to edit the # of Bitcoins you have? I have a plan to make millions doing this.

I want to implement a "Give Me 100 Bitcoins" button, because the difficulty of mining have been getting really high lately and I just wanted to make some quick cash.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:57:09 AM

The Bitcoin client is open source, so shouldn't there be a way to edit the # of Bitcoins you have? I have a plan to make millions doing this.

I want to implement a "Give Me 100 Bitcoins" button, because the difficulty of mining have been getting really high lately and I just wanted to make some quick cash.

You could make it so you click a button that generates two hashes that are 0xABCDEF0123456xxxxx where the X's can be any number. Then in the client you say "If hash is in that range, then the proof of work is good" or something. So it mines two blocks at the same time. There, done. Submit a pull request and you are all set.

Since it is open source, you can literally make the client any way you want, and nobody can stop you. Other people would like to have free Bitcoins too so this would be a very popular feature.
Yatta99

Activity: 84

I need an new box...

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:57:57 AM

There is another way, nay, an even BETTER way to alter the number if bitcoins that you have; Just send all your lonely ones to the address listed below. I promise that they will be well taken care of AND you will have succeeded in altering your bitcoin number  Wink

Tips for new box to: 16s14wcsNo5TcdsGLttL7B1XWiCv8E4L6A
imperi

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:58:56 AM

There is another way, nay, an even BETTER way to alter the number if bitcoins that you have; Just send all your lonely ones to the address listed below. I promise that they will be well taken care of AND you will have succeeded in altering your bitcoin number  Wink

He wants to INCREASE his coin number.

Learn to read.
Chick (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:00:58 AM

You could make it so you click a button that generates two hashes that are 0xABCDEF0123456xxxxx where the X's can be any number. Then in the client you say "If hash is in that range, then the proof of work is good" or something. So it mines two blocks at the same time. There, done. Submit a pull request and you are all set.

Since it is open source, you can literally make the client any way you want, and nobody can stop you. Other people would like to have free Bitcoins too so this would be a very popular feature.

How about a 'reserved-block' feature? Everytime someone solves a block, the reward goes to the user! It would be much more user friendly as the user won't even have to press a button!

imperi

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:04:43 AM

How about a 'reserved-block' feature? Everytime someone solves a block, the reward goes to the user! It would be much more user friendly as the user won't even have to press a button!

That's even easier to implement... just say if (block number % 100 == 0) {sendblock_FAST(reserved_addr);} . This way you get every 100 blocks!! By the way, "%" stands for "MODULUS" which is short for "DIVISION" with a remainder. These are mathematical concepts anyways, kinda difficult.

Also it needs no UI and can be hidden. If some people don't like it, they can have a few reserved addresses. Gavin can have 3 because he wrote more code so he probably deserves more blocks.
Chick (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:06:15 AM

That's even easier to implement... just say if (block number % 100 == 0) {sendblock_FAST(reserved_addr);} . This way you get every 100 blocks!! By the way, "%" stands for "MODULUS" which is short for "DIVISION" with a remainder. These are mathematical concepts anyways, kinda difficult.

Also it needs no UI and can be hidden. If some people don't like it, they can have a few reserved addresses. Gavin can have 3 because he wrote more code so he probably deserves more blocks.

I think we should have a version for trolls, that way, they'll be satisfied looking at 'division by zero' errors.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:20:57 AM

Just use notepad or vi to edit your wallet.dat . Add a few zeroes in the right place... Simple really. That's what I do when I need more bitcoins.

-
triforcelink

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 08:51:55 AM

BITCOIN HAS BEEN HACKED?!! OH NOS! everybody stop mining and sell EVERYTHING!

aeroSpike

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 09:00:32 AM

What about creating a new block chain for impatient users? Grin
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 09:33:36 AM

What about creating a new block chain for impatient users? Grin
Oh, we have that. -testnet . Makes mining so much easier Smiley.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2011, 11:09:24 AM

You can put your wallet.dat file on a CD then photocopy it on a laser printer.  BUT, you must make sure sure you don't loose the wallet on the original CD so put it in the microwave first for ~60 seconds to bake it in real good before you copy it.

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: