Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:23:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Gaming PC for mining  (Read 595 times)
SipriusPT (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 11:09:08 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2017, 11:23:42 PM by SipriusPT

Hello guys,

Right now I have one PC with a gaming setup:

PRIME X370-PRO
PROCESSADOR AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 3.4 16MB SKT AM4
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC
HyperX 8 GB DDR4-2133
Mushkin REACTOR, 480 GB SSD

And I am thinking to use this PC as a mining rig as well but with two dedicated cards instead of my 1080 who I want to use for gaming. So my idea would be to buy 2x RX 580 with a dedicated PSU for those, attached with two risers to mainboard pci-e x1 slots.

My objective is to be able to play and use my gaming pc as I am using now, and mining a side, but I really dont know the challenge(drivers issues with nvidia and amd, windows compatibilities and BIOS tweaks) of doing this, to avoid of having to buy a new motherboard, ram, disk, and CPU.

What do you think about it from your point of view in experience?

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 12:01:30 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2017, 12:21:20 AM by Vann

Mixing AMD and Nvidia cards on the same PC is possible. However since you only want to add two cards and want to use the PC for gaming, I think it would be cheaper and you would be better off seeing if you can pick up a used Dell or HP workstation with a 500W or more PSU at Goodwill or on Craigslist and use that as your dedicated mining rig. You should be able to find one for $100 or less. That would free up your PC and you can leave the rig on for mining. Read through this thread for other ideas.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1955358.0
ntsdm1

Activity: 394
Merit: 14

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 12:20:03 AM

that would be a bit hard as combining the two different gpus can be done but not always work well...best this would be is to make separate rigs for each purpose
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 02:23:35 AM

It can work but expect to do a lot of fine-tuning.  My advice?  Go all Nvidia or all AMD.  This will reduce your frustration levels quite a bit.
killerelite

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:43:31 AM

You should go all nvidia or all amd if u want that pc also for gaming ,its a big hastle to set up mix , Also I used to have some bsod while playing on my pc which doubles as a mining rig , also sometimes un-optimized miners require a lot of cpu power so u might have to turn off mining for gaming .
Better get a seperate rig for mining , Wont cost u much if u only want to mine with 2 cards
SipriusPT (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:18:45 AM

Thanks a lot guys for your advices, as I expected would be a challenge.

Quote from: Vann
Mixing AMD and Nvidia cards on the same PC is possible. However since you only want to add two cards and want to use the PC for gaming, I think it would be cheaper and you would be better off seeing if you can pick up a used Dell or HP workstation with a 500W or more PSU at Goodwill or on Craigslist and use that as your dedicated mining rig. You should be able to find one for $100 or less. That would free up your PC and you can leave the rig on for mining. Read through this thread for other ideas.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1955358.0

That seems a good idea, I will search one!
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 01:49:33 AM

Hello guys,

Right now I have one PC with a gaming setup:

PRIME X370-PRO
PROCESSADOR AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 3.4 16MB SKT AM4
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC
HyperX 8 GB DDR4-2133
Mushkin REACTOR, 480 GB SSD

And I am thinking to use this PC as a mining rig as well but with two dedicated cards instead of my 1080 who I want to use for gaming. So my idea would be to buy 2x RX 580 with a dedicated PSU for those, attached with two risers to mainboard pci-e x1 slots.

My objective is to be able to play and use my gaming pc as I am using now, and mining a side, but I really dont know the challenge(drivers issues with nvidia and amd, windows compatibilities and BIOS tweaks) of doing this, to avoid of having to buy a new motherboard, ram, disk, and CPU.

What do you think about it from your point of view in experience?

its a gaming rig lol, build a dedicated mining rig, also theres more than enough information on here for you to find what you need and if you cant find it then maybe you should not be mining.

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: