Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 05:53:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Harbor Freight Solar Panels  (Read 910 times)
btcgolong (OP)

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 05:24:54 AM

Anyone using them?
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:51:20 AM

Anyone using them?

What size panels were you looking at?  I don't know if they have different offerings in-store, but on their web site, the biggest kit they have is a set of four 25 watt panels for $190.  You'd need 10 sets of them to generate 1000 watts at peak power (full, direct sun).  What would you do when the sun is obscured, low on the horizon or at night?

KiwiMining

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:30:55 AM

I have seen a few people do it but you would need the perfect climate. In saying that, with this kind of setup it wouldn't be the dedicated power supply I would maybe use it in replacement of a generator in the case of power shortage etc. unless you live in a desert somewhere go for it Cheesy
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 11:40:46 AM

I'd research the brand before committing to them.  I've bought some Harbor Freight stuff in the past that was really good and some items that aren't so good.   That place is hit or miss.  
Eminx3

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 02:03:29 PM

interestring, solar mining  Grin

indeed very interesting, im curious if the idea was ever perused! Let us know if you make a solar mine! Would love to see the setup!
LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 02:36:55 PM

philipma1957 and buysolar have a solar panel farm.  Phil talks about it a lot in his thread. He's a great guy and I'm sure would answer questions.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2138550.msg21392257#msg21392257
btcgolong (OP)

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:04:25 PM

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html

-100 watt solar panel gives you plenty of clean, quiet energy - no fuel required

-Amorphous silicon solar cells for maximum output in both bright and cloudy conditions

-Lightweight, weatherproof construction - easy to set up and maintain

-Blocking diode prevents panels from discharging your battery at night

-Charge controller protects your battery from overcharge or discharge

-Comes with mounting hardware, 12V Light Kit, battery terminal clamps and universal DC power adapter

-USB port for charging smartphones and tablets

Looks a little cheap...so 100 watts for about $160 USB (using the 20% off coupons).

Wondering if anyone is using these panels?

I'll check out the other thread as well.

mirny
Legendary

Activity: 1108
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:14:31 PM

It would be better to combine solar panels with some wind turbines.
Because sun is not shining for all day.
But wind is blowing almost all time Smiley
I would do this, if I had a place.

This is my signature...
1Fish2Fish

Activity: 21

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:37:04 PM

Where do you live? Solar is not great (Yet) but its miles ahead of wind for most parts of the world.
 There's hardly any wind at all, any time of the day where i live ( Georgia), and certainly not many places that has enough wind to crate any real power to speak of. And maintenance on wind power turbine could get pricey.   

The goal with solar is create enough to sell power back to the grid during sunny times, and buy it back at night...  or use bigger battery storage units.

Last time i looked at solar, it was over 20 year Return On Investment. (if They last without any problems) when it gets down to five years ROI i'll be all over it.     
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:51:47 PM

Where do you live? Solar is not great (Yet) but its miles ahead of wind for most parts of the world.
 There's hardly any wind at all, any time of the day where i live ( Georgia), and certainly not many places that has enough wind to crate any real power to speak of. And maintenance on wind power turbine could get pricey.   

The goal with solar is create enough to sell power back to the grid during sunny times, and buy it back at night...  or use bigger battery storage units.

Last time i looked at solar, it was over 20 year Return On Investment. (if They last without any problems) when it gets down to five years ROI i'll be all over it.     

they are down to about 5 to 7 years ROI depending on location and theres new AC only systems that are much more efficient than the traditional systems

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 10:04:20 PM

Solar panels are much cheaper on Ebay. Good value is less than $1/W.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
benjizax

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 12:35:12 AM

also the efficiency % and temp of the panel itself.
I could suspect the cheap ebay ones overheat faster.
1Fish2Fish

Activity: 21

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 12:58:09 AM

they are down to about 5 to 7 years ROI depending on location and theres new AC only systems that are much more efficient than the traditional systems
5 to 7 years ROI Is fantastic news. I'm going to look into this
joshuaj

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

IDEX - LIVE Real-time DEX

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 01:02:53 AM

also the efficiency % and temp of the panel itself.
I could suspect the cheap ebay ones overheat faster.

Yes, temperature is the challenge to solar panel.

dbc23

Activity: 1036
Merit: 311

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 02:53:30 AM

Renogy brand 100w panels have had a few firesales recently.  The real problem is doing the cost per watt math + reliability of power supply generated + battery bank cost if you want to stabilize output + control hardware + time or cost to install it all.

At face value solar mining sounds like a great idea, and I give credit to anyone that does it, but the cost is not fiscally or technically sound.

From a hobbying perspective it's a cool idea.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: