Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:03:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Moneyless Society  (Read 1225 times)
Chillance (OP)

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:12:08 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2017, 09:22:31 AM by Chillance

Hi,

I wanted to run this by you and see what you say.

What if we scrapped money altogether and just gave everybody what they wanted?

I know it sounds ridiculous, and everybody would just go for 100 cars and 100 fancy houses, but if you think about it, if you could get everything you wanted, all those things wouldn't be as valuable anymore, and it would lose it's "richness" appeal and people would be bored by it after a while and just settle with what they actually needed. Don't we have all the technology and resources to make this happen? It could also mean less crimes would happen then too.

Sidenote: I love the idea of bitcoin so I don't really want to ruin bitcoin, but hey, maybe we could go there with bitcoin somehow... Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wearepoor

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:22:21 AM

There were barter system in the past wherein people used to exchange one commodity for another one. After many centuries we have developed the money system for the better transaction (trading) and easy financial activities. There is a value of each and every thing, then its impossible to offer it for free; i don't agree with you.
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:27:12 AM

Yes, I know. Back in the days there were trading things.

And this is meant to be a discussion to see if it could be possible now as we have progressed so much with technology. We have abundance of food in places. I suppose the issue could possibly be that someone has to "work" for producing the resources. But still. If everybody got what they wanted, that might not be much of a problem if the society as whole helped out. Since everybody get what they want, there might not be much of issues. Unless most become lazy...
Irdina

Activity: 502
Merit: 100

TheFutbolCoin

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:29:45 AM

Hay, why are you fantasizing too much? ... We must try before getting something ,, that's life. Nothing is instant, and bitcoin ,, we have to fight to be successful, not everyone who jumps in bitcoin become rich ..

▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀          T h e F u t b o l C o i n     [    App Store    ] [   Google Play   ]          ▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀
▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀        WHITEPAPER    |    TEAM    |    TWITTER    |    TELEGRAM    |    FACEBOOK        ▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬   Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE   ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Boseda

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:33:01 AM

Money is just a convention used to regulate commercial transactions. In the ancient times it was useless because people lived in small villages, commerce was not developed so they used barter to exchange stuff between them. Nowadays it is impossible to do (at least on a world-scale) because commerce and markets are too gone too far...
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:34:14 AM

Hay, why are you fantasizing too much? ... We must try before getting something ,, that's life. Nothing is instant, and bitcoin ,, we have to fight to be successful, not everyone who jumps in bitcoin become rich ..
This is just a thought experiment where the whole idea about "getting rich" doesn't exist anymore since everybody get what they want. Smiley
Qartersa

Activity: 868
Merit: 535

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:36:45 AM

Hi,

I know it sounds ridiculous, and everybody would just go for 100 cars and 100 fancy houses, but if you think about it, if you could get everything you wanted, all those things wouldn't be as valuable anymore, and it would lose it's "richness" appeal and people would be bored by it after a while and just settle with what they actually needed. Don't we have all the technology and resources to make this happen? It could also mean less crimes would happen then too.

Sidenote: I love the idea of bitcoin so I don't really want to ruin bitcoin, but hey, maybe we could go there with bitcoin somehow... Smiley

You mean you want to remove all concepts of money? That means you are removing fiat, gold, cryptocurrency and other forms and mediums of value. I don't think it is possible anymore. That would mean we would come back to the old ages were people did barter for everything. It is highly impractical and will not reflect the current times. What if you want to buy a car, but it would cost 10,000 pieces of bread? That would be hard to do.
nappoleon

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:39:04 AM

If we give everyone what they want, then what's the meaning of life by that point? Let's assume, people can have what they wanted easily wherein there's no work required for them, the level of cooperation we have today will significantly reduce. People will never work unless it is on their best interest (non-monetary based interest) and consider the number of people doing their life choices based on money.

And thinking crimes will be reduced when you let people have what they want is short-term planning and it's kind of infant-minded. Humans will always find ways to harm each other one way or another, because on any society whether it is old or new there's always disagreements. And we did our best to settle this disagreements through the systems we have created. In my opinion, all we need is balance.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:41:32 AM

Hi,

You mean you want to remove all concepts of money? That means you are removing fiat, gold, cryptocurrency and other forms and mediums of value. I don't think it is possible anymore. That would mean we would come back to the old ages were people did barter for everything. It is highly impractical and will not reflect the current times. What if you want to buy a car, but it would cost 10,000 pieces of bread? That would be hard to do.

The idea would be that you don't need to buy a car. You would just get a car as there is probably quite the abundance of them. Since most wouldn't really need a car everyday to "go to work to make money" anymore, I could imagine there will be plenty available. At least in America. Unless everybody want to drive a car everyday for some reason.
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:48:11 AM

If we give everyone what they want, then what's the meaning of life by that point? Let's assume, people can have what they wanted easily wherein there's no work required for them, the level of cooperation we have today will significantly reduce. People will never work unless it is on their best interest (non-monetary based interest) and consider the number of people doing their life choices based on money.

And thinking crimes will be reduced when you let people have what they want is short-term planning and it's kind of infant-minded. Humans will always find ways to harm each other one way or another, because on any society whether it is old or new there's always disagreements. And we did our best to settle this disagreements through the systems we have created. In my opinion, all we need is balance.
Meaning of life would be to live your life. Spend time with friends and family. Travel and see the world (for free of course). Meet new people. I think the lazyness nature of humans might be a problem yes. And, yes, there will always be crime, but if you could get everything you wanted, certain crimes would most likely disappear.
Irdina

Activity: 502

TheFutbolCoin

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:50:53 AM

This is just a thought experiment where the whole idea about "getting rich" doesn't exist anymore since everybody get what they want. Smiley
Your experiment, can make everyone bored, because there is no challenge to get something, everything is available .. Is not it going to make a lazy man .. maybe you can look for other experiments .. For example, to provide jobs for the unemployed and the poor, It is better.

▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀          T h e F u t b o l C o i n     [    App Store    ] [   Google Play   ]          ▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀
▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀        WHITEPAPER    |    TEAM    |    TWITTER    |    TELEGRAM    |    FACEBOOK        ▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬   Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE   ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:53:35 AM

Money is just a convention used to regulate commercial transactions. In the ancient times it was useless because people lived in small villages, commerce was not developed so they used barter to exchange stuff between them. Nowadays it is impossible to do (at least on a world-scale) because commerce and markets are too gone too far...
Commerce is producing all kind of crazy things. "Hey, you want a fidget spinner? Sure, here you go. We apparently have so many resources we can create these things too."
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:55:49 AM

Your experiment, can make everyone bored, because there is no challenge to get something, everything is available .. Is not it going to make a lazy man .. maybe you can look for other experiments .. For example, to provide jobs for the unemployed and the poor, It is better.
You know, that reminds me. Some healthy elderly people get bored with their pension life, that they go back to work. So, as a side effect can be that when people get what they want, they will help out as they will be bored otherwise. Smiley
Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:57:09 AM

Man can do everything he needs for life. A barter relationship is very uncomfortable. The idea of money creation was good, but bankers and politicians have turned the money in the garbage. We rejoice in what was invented bitcoin. This Tenga like they should be.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:57:29 AM

Hi,

There aren't ferraris for everyone, and the people in charge aren't going to let their power go to redistribute wealth. I like the idea of an open source society as described by Jacques Fresco, but unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon, we may need 1000's of years to get to that point. In the meantime, im pretty sure cryptocurrencies will be the next step, creating a global economy, possibly inter planetary, so you better start stacking up on BTC soon, for a lack of a better alt.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:59:36 AM

One thing about money, it could represent a specific quantity of time, productivity and innovation.

If someone wants 100 houses and 100 cars that breaks down to a certain amount of time, innovation and productivity to construct.

If money is eliminated some other system would arise to fill the vacuum.

Concepts like productivity and time and their relation to money aren't easily tweaked to give everyone want they want all the time. Like some said satisfying essential needs with a minimal & efficient productive effort is the opposite aim of industry.
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 10:02:03 AM

Hi,

There aren't ferraris for everyone, and the people in charge aren't going to let their power go to redistribute wealth. I like the idea of an open source society as described by Jacques Fresco, but unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon, we may need 1000's of years to get to that point. In the meantime, im pretty sure cryptocurrencies will be the next step, creating a global economy, possibly inter planetary, so you better start stacking up on BTC soon, for a lack of a better alt.
Yeah, I don't see this happening in a long time either. If at all. I just thought it was worth to bring up and think about and see what people say. Trying to get into the mindset of it and think about it for a while intrigued me. Smiley
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 10:02:09 AM

as long as there are people there will be money,period
no way to circumvent that,till there is a huge change in morale and society principles
capitalist society we are living in puts money and consumerism at the top of the priorities
it is what makes the world go round at least its what we are supposed to believe in
remove that and everything will collapse

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀
      ▀▀█████  █  ▄██▀▀
         ▀▀██  ██▀▀
.WINDICE.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
      ▄████████▀
     ▄████████
    ▄███████▀
   ▄███████▀
  ▄█████████████
 ▄████████████▀
▄███████████▀
     █████▀
    ████▀
   ████
  ███▀
 ██▀
█▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
     ▄▄█████▄   ▄▄▄▄
    ██████████▄███████▄
  ▄████████████████████▌
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
 ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
     ▄█     ▄█     ▄█
   ▄██▌   ▄██▌   ▄██▌
   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀
       ▄█     ▄█
     ▄██▌   ▄██▌
     ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
                   ▄█▄
                 ▄█████▄
                █████████▄
       ▄       ██ ████████▌
     ▄███▄    ▐█▌▐█████████
   ▄███████▄   ██ ▀███████▀
 ▄███████████▄  ▀██▄▄████▀
▐█ ▄███████████    ▀▀▀▀
█ █████████████▌      ▄
█▄▀████████████▌    ▄███▄
▐█▄▀███████████    ▐█▐███▌
 ▀██▄▄▀▀█████▀      ▀█▄█▀
   ▀▀▀███▀▀▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
iePlay NoweiI
I
I
I
[/t
severaldetails

Activity: 959
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 10:04:34 AM

In reality that would not work.
If everybody gets what he desires for free, then everybody just does what he wants to do.
But who does the things nobody wants to do? Like working in the channelization for example?
There are so many jobs people would rather not do, but these jobs are necessary to keep your society intact.
Money is the motivation for everybody to work.
And if somebody does not get the job he wants, he must take another one. To earn money, to lead a life.
Chillance (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 10:05:45 AM

One thing about money, it could represent a specific quantity of time, productivity and innovation.

If someone wants 100 houses and 100 cars that breaks down to a certain amount of time, innovation and productivity to construct.

If money is eliminated some other system would arise to fill the vacuum.

Concepts like productivity and time and their relation to money aren't easily tweaked to give everyone want they want all the time. Like some said satisfying essential needs with a minimal & efficient productive effort is the opposite aim of industry.
Ah, yeah, this reminds me of a discussion I had regarding improving things and innovation. With money, companies want things to break down so people buy again. Like, the light bulb for example. There is one made many years ago (that still works? or at least worked for a very long time). But as a company, you don't want that, so you make it a bit defective so it breaks and people have to buy a new one. With a money-less society, wouldn't' there be more focus on actually innovating and make things better and better?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: