Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:36:44 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Motherboards Selection - Please Guide  (Read 638 times)
aviz123 (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 02:23:39 PM

Hello Friends,

I am looking for some solid guidance.

I have short listed some motherboards, please suggest what is the best pick to be used. If building 100 RIGs. It could be 6 or 7 or 8 or more GPU per rig.

Have heard from some big rig farm guys that is much better to set 6 or 7 or max 8 GPU Cards per RIG. Please advise. Why?

Some short listed and with my comments beside them

AsRock H81 Pro BTC R2  -  Have been using them, but the only issue i faced its a bit OLD model.. and just supports 6 GPU (i am fine with 6 too). But is being OLD model motherboard a problem for Long run?
AsRock H110 Pro BTC  - Looks good... but many have faced issues due to very close risers.. Also you can just run 8 NVIDIA or 8 AMD and rest other Chipset.. if running on Windows.. is it ?
BioStar TB250-BTC+ 6.x   - Mixed views, please share your views..
BioStar TB250-BTC PRO 6.x  - Mixed views, please share your views..
Asus Z270P   - is BIOS work , time consuming - if i am building 100 Rigs ?
Asus Z270A   - is BIOS work, time consuming - if i am building 100 Rigs

I would appreciate your kind suggestion, in consideration, if building 100 RIGS..

Why should i go with Asus or Biostar or AsRock ?

Hope to see some quick replies....
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 11:51:28 PM

It's usually good to limit the number of GPUs you put on each motherboard in order to avoid having too many eggs in one basket.

If the OS/driver throws an error, or the motherboard/CPU/etc. were to fail, then all the GPUs connected to that rig would be down until you fixed the issue. Additionally, stopping at 8 tends to cause fewer setup headaches, at least with current Windows 10 drivers. (Without delving into more modifications, you're stuck with up to 8 from AMD and/or 8 from Nvidia.) YMMV with certain Linux distros.

Those are some of the main reasons why you should stop around 8 GPUs per rig.

I personally use the Asrock H81 Pro (2013 model), and it has worked fine for me. I can't speak for any of the other boards, though.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
sevenmiles

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:05:13 AM

MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170A Gaming M5)
for 7 GPUs, very easy setup, and always available

ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard
for 7 GPUs, very easy setup, and always available and relatively cheap

aviz123 (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 07:15:43 AM

It's usually good to limit the number of GPUs you put on each motherboard in order to avoid having too many eggs in one basket.

If the OS/driver throws an error, or the motherboard/CPU/etc. were to fail, then all the GPUs connected to that rig would be down until you fixed the issue. Additionally, stopping at 8 tends to cause fewer setup headaches, at least with current Windows 10 drivers. (Without delving into more modifications, you're stuck with up to 8 from AMD and/or 8 from Nvidia.) YMMV with certain Linux distros.

I personally use the Asrock H81 Pro (2013 model), and it has worked fine for me. I can't speak for any of the other boards, though.

Thanks for your solid advise...
Yeh i am probably thinking to go with H81PRO BTC R2... low price as well.. 
raindeer777

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 02:33:35 PM

buy msi motherboard  it supports 6 gpu at a time and is best for mining ......
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:18:19 PM

AsRock H81 Pro BTC R2  -  Have been using them, but the only issue i faced its a bit OLD model.. and just supports 6 GPU (i am fine with 6 too). But is being OLD model motherboard a problem for Long run?
AsRock H110 Pro BTC  - Looks good... but many have faced issues due to very close risers.. Also you can just run 8 NVIDIA or 8 AMD and rest other Chipset.. if running on Windows.. is it ?

The spacing on these boards should be IDENTICAL.

Slot spacing is part of the ATX specification.

If I had to build a riser rig, I'd probably go for the H110 as ASRock has given me generally good results out of their motherboards and it supports my preference for using PS/2 ports for keyboards and mice.

I'd actually prefer to go AM4, but I've yet to find an AM4 solution that I thought was a GOOD one for a mining motherboard.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
tomlev5

Activity: 35

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:38:11 PM

I have Asrock H110 Pro and the neighbour risers are touching among themselves. I am not sure if this is a problem? The board is working without restart for a couple of days, but not allways.
usuksobad

Activity: 107

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:40:48 PM

My top pick - Asus Z270P
Most time saving motherboard.
aviz123 (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 10:22:19 AM

My top pick - Asus Z270P
Most time saving motherboard.

Why is that?
I heard have to do BIOS, which eats most of the time, if you are building 100-200 RIGS.
Not a plug and play like ASROCK H81 PRO BTC R2.

jimmykl

Activity: 349
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 11:08:01 AM

AsRock H81 Pro BTC R2  -  Have been using them, but the only issue i faced its a bit OLD model.. and just supports 6 GPU (i am fine with 6 too). But is being OLD model motherboard a problem for Long run?
AsRock H110 Pro BTC  - Looks good... but many have faced issues due to very close risers.. Also you can just run 8 NVIDIA or 8 AMD and rest other Chipset.. if running on Windows.. is it ?

The spacing on these boards should be IDENTICAL.

Slot spacing is part of the ATX specification.

Hmmm… I think this is the ASRock blueprint for the H110 mobo

https://imgur.com/a/1TCwe
car1999

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 11:21:18 AM

just a small tip, DO NOT use the buggy m.2 to pcie adapter.
JuanHungLo

Activity: 935
Merit: 1001

I don't always drink...

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 11:26:57 AM

Good thread, OP.  I am doing the same as you now.  The next logical question would be what power supply are you going to choose for that MB and which GPUs?

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
cjclm7

Activity: 25

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 12:02:00 PM

just a small tip, DO NOT use the buggy m.2 to pcie adapter.

Grin oooppsss... just bought one M.2 to PCI Adaptor (arriving by Mail next week). What exactly is the issue?

I am using Asus Prime Z270A. No issues so far.
aviz123 (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 02:39:44 PM

Good thread, OP.  I am doing the same as you now.  The next logical question would be what power supply are you going to choose for that MB and which GPUs?

GPUs you can chose.. I am running 1080TI also.. 1070 Mini.. 1070 Extreme..

After MOBO Selection.. go to which cards you want to run.. than select PSU.

Some guys are also using Server PSU - HP ones.. i have to see how to connect GPU in to those..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: