Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:32:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I made my own Water/Fire-proof Metal Bitcoin Cold Storage, short guide.  (Read 1018 times)
coinzoid

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:29:54 PM

Looking good but I don't think anyone else will order this from a third party source. Instead they will try to create their own.
Shermand100 (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 03:07:06 AM
Last edit: October 30, 2017, 11:19:14 AM by Shermand100

Looking good but I don't think anyone else will order this from a third party source. Instead they will try to create their own.

Yeah, there is no way you should share your private key to anyone to make something like this. It really was simple and cheap to make.. Another user did this in a similar way in 2013 with print toner http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Stainless-Steel-Bitcoin-Wallet/.

Out of curiosity has anyone else had success with a different method? I think my method is very cheap but it's only the masking of the etching area that if delicate/most costly.

I've heard there are some commercial powders that can be bonded to metals with a laser. And a home method that  achieves the same with plaster of paris and isopropol alcohol. I'll give it a try the next rainy day in I get.

http://pinode.co.uk How to Guide Library for Nodes
Hamilcar

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 02:32:07 PM

Good work dude. It looks easy to made. I'll make my own soon.

Handelion – Fund | Trade | Expand
Revolutionary blockchain ecosystem for co-funded wholesale trade
Handelion.io◄ ► White paper ◄ ► Facebook ◄ ► Telegram ◄ ► Twitter ◄ ► JOIN ICO NOW
Shermand100 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2017, 11:20:36 AM

Has anyone else had a go at making one yet? Or thinking of giving it a go?

Caesar-Giulius

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 05:58:04 PM

Great job done, it is probably the safest wallet to keep at home. I have some questions if you don’t mind.

1) How long did you take to complete this project?

2) Did you test the durability of the wallet using fire and water?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████▀██████████████
█████████▄▄      ▀▀██▀╜  ▀▀███████████
████████████▄       ██   ▀^╓▀█████████
██████████████      ║█    ,▀██████████
█████████████▄▄      █▌   ████████████
████████████████▄     ▀█▄  ███████████
████████████████▀,,,    ╙▀▀█▀ ████████
█████████████████▀▀▀█▄▄       ████████
███████████████▀     ▀███████▀████████
██████████████▌       ▐█* ▀▓▀ ████████
████████████*██▄     ▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄████████
██████████▀`  ▀██▄   ▀████████████████
████████▀`  ▄█████▌   ╙███████████████
████████▄,   ▀████ ,,,  "▀▀███████████
██████████,,,,, ╙█▄███▄▄,,,,╙▀████████
L B X.

■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■
The London Block Exchange
■                         ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                        ■                         ■

WDownload OnW
[.
          ▄▄█▀
         ███▀
   ▄▄▄▄  ▀  ▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████▄██████▌
▐██████████████▌
███████████████
▐██████████████▌
 ███████████████▌
  ██████████████▌
   ▀████▀▀▀████▀
/      ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▐
     ▄█▀████▀█▄
    ▐██████████▌
 ▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
▐██▌████████████▐██▌
 ▀▀ ████████████ ▀▀
    ▀██████████▀
      ▐██  ██▌
      ▐██  ██▌
]

bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:52:13 PM

Has anyone else had a go at making one yet? Or thinking of giving it a go?
Was thinking about similar, already mentioned on the forum, but it's a bit different.
I was using the same kind of metal business card, but I would like to engrave the letters into it with a hand engraver tool. My initial thought was to punch in the letters like a dog tag, but there's not enough place to punch all the letters, because of the blending of the material, you can't condense the characters enough to fit. So I have already ordered the metal cards off from ebay, now I'm searching for a proper hand engraver.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1348

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:08:20 PM

This is better than a paper wallet, but I don't think this material will survive from rust and it will ruined, rust will destroy the "relief" including all your wallet code.

Also, how about storing it in a zip lock bag with some desiccant (the sachet from my next pair of new shoes). Or rice. By preventing the moisture in the air getting to it degrading of the metal would be a lot slower. It is stainless steel so it will be very very slow, and on my first test I left the back exposed when etching and it just "pitted" rather than an all over rust.

There's really no need to. He said it's stainless steel, so it's basically what the inside of a water boiler or your dishwasher is made of. It can withstand being submerged in boiling water for months and not have a speck of rust Wink It's also quite resistant to weak acids, salt and other chems.
You only have to make sure the etches are deep enough so that normal scratches and metal wear won't make it unreadable.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Shermand100 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 12:50:02 AM

Great job done, it is probably the safest wallet to keep at home. I have some questions if you don’t mind.

1) How long did you take to complete this project?

2) Did you test the durability of the wallet using fire and water?

1) My short guide is here https://pinode.weebly.com/hardened-cold-storage.html but in steps it took...
* Create the vanity address and key with a Raspberry Pi, 2 days (unnecessary from a security point of view) but if you're interested https://pinode.weebly.com/bitcoin-vanity-address.html
* Paint metal card with nail polish and mark design into the polish 40mins
* Prep the etching solution and electrodes 15mins
* Etching 2 mins
* Cleanup of the finished card 30mins

* Total 2 hours with added messing about, second guessing, checking etc

(The design was marked with a cheap laser etcher but can also be done with a laser toner printer, heat transferred on with a household iron.)

2) Now it's getting colder here in the UK I'll be testing it in the fire soon. In theory it should be fine but I'll post the results here with pictures when I have them.

Was thinking about similar, already mentioned on the forum, but it's a bit different.
I was using the same kind of metal business card, but I would like to engrave the letters into it with a hand engraver tool. My initial thought was to punch in the letters like a dog tag, but there's not enough place to punch all the letters, because of the blending of the material, you can't condense the characters enough to fit. So I have already ordered the metal cards off from ebay, now I'm searching for a proper hand engraver.

My first thought was using letter stamps too. I ran into problems.
1) The stamps needed to be upper and lower case due to case sensitive keys and addresses.
2) Aluminium stamped well, but has a low melting point.
3) Metals that had a higher melting point are considerably harder than aluminium and did not stamp well at all, barely left an impression.
4) As I continued practicing with the aluminium it was very hard to stamp the many characters in neat straight lines. End result was very amateur.

If you're looking for a hand engraver and it gets to around £50 then I would instead recommend looking at getting the laser etcher I did. The laser etches wood, paper and most plastics. Then to etch metal and glass it can still do the marking out very neatly into nail polish, then apply glass etching gel or immerse into a chemical bath for metal as I did.

bitart

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 07:01:31 PM

If you're looking for a hand engraver and it gets to around £50 then I would instead recommend looking at getting the laser etcher I did. The laser etches wood, paper and most plastics. Then to etch metal and glass it can still do the marking out very neatly into nail polish, then apply glass etching gel or immerse into a chemical bath for metal as I did.

Do you mean something similar?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000mW-Adjustable-Focal-Laser-Tube-Wood-Kits-for-NEJE-DK-8-KZ-Engraver/263236760459?hash=item3d4a22338b:g:xQUAAOSwFYxZzopa
I was searching thru ebay for laser etching, but only $500+ machines were listed, so now I'm searching for laser engraving tool, and this was something similar that you probably mentioned.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 07:16:23 PM

This is indeed a nice project, but like with most nice DiY projects, you relied on having a lot of existing stuff on-hand to begin with in order to make your final product so cheap. For those of us without laser etchers, chemicals and the like it would be quite a bit more. This isn't to detract from your project in anyway, just an observation.

I think the best idea for those who only need to store only one or two private keys would be to get one (or more) of the Cryptosteel products. The nice thing about these is you can assemble any address and reuse it once you send the funds off your old private key. They do cost more than the DiY method, but again it is a scale thing. If you are going to make 10 or more homemade keys then yes that is probably the cheaper method once you acquire all the ancillary equipment and chemicals to make it possible, but if you are only looking at one or two keys than i think the commercial  products are probably the way to go.
Shermand100 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 08:40:58 PM

Yeah, to replicate it exactly then the laser etcher was something like this one...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282624625105

And as for chemicals it is just table salt and water for the etching solution. The added copper sulphate is optional and only about £3 on ebay or amazon.

As I've said before though this can be done with a paper laser toner printer to the same effect, and heat transfer the image to the metal before etching. Someone did this years ago and made a guide here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Stainless-Steel-Bitcoin-Wallet/

There are easy ways to avoid the setup costs, the easiest by having access to the office printer at your work would do it.

athanz88

Activity: 476
Merit: 359

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:42:13 PM

Wow, this is a great hard wallet to have. I am really looking for someone to make me this kind of hard wallet in my country. You are so lucky to have some skills and tools on your own garage to make this kind of card. And for some little suggestion, maybe you can make some other version of it, with other colors pattern, like white and gold, or etc. And i see that you are giving the guide to make it too to people.
This is some great DIY. Damn, you must proud of what you have made bro, well done !!
bitart

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 10:06:01 PM

Yeah, to replicate it exactly then the laser etcher was something like this one...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282624625105

And as for chemicals it is just table salt and water for the etching solution. The added copper sulphate is optional and only about £3 on ebay or amazon.

As I've said before though this can be done with a paper laser toner printer to the same effect, and heat transfer the image to the metal before etching. Someone did this years ago and made a guide here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Stainless-Steel-Bitcoin-Wallet/

There are easy ways to avoid the setup costs, the easiest by having access to the office printer at your work would do it.
Thanks for that, I've checked the instruction of etching. It's really straight forward, I'm planning to try it out sometime.
What I would change is:
For me, it looks easier to just put my seed on the steel card, because I can easily import it into any kind of wallet in a few minutes. In this case, if someone finds the card with some words on it, it won't be easy to determine if it's a seed, and for which kind of cryto and what kind of wallet it is useable for.
Also, if I etch the seed into two cards (half of the seed to the first card, second part of the seed to the second card), I can place them to different offsite locations. In this case I don't need to worry if someone finds the card, because the other part is far away. Just to be a bit too cautious Smiley
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 10:27:45 PM

Yes, again just a test piece. To save you time from typing in the address to check here's what's on the card:

Address: 1PiNodemHPYocq6dRw9JhN5f8N1nC2VfXQ
Privkey: 5KYbHUHB4Bwa87pEvBgb4Aqj6KsRjCGiuvgNCHruz698MNwQpDJ

You're welcome to anything on it 'cause I didn't put it there.  Smiley

As for storage though it would be sensible to obscure the private key. Stop someone finding it and taking a picture/writing down the key. I was thinking a tamper proof label would achieve this? Any thoughts?

(It's a label that disintegrates when peeled, revealing "void" in the hologram)

Yes this is a good method. Using stainless steel is fine for resistance to corrosion and fire. Check the etching process digs into the metal, can use a torch to do that. Get the metal red hot, see if the characters survive. Might I suggest encrypting the keys, that way you don't care if anyone sees them? I think the protocol was BIP38. RE the scan QR code, what it really does is provide a backup - a 2nd copy of the dataset.  Good idea, two copies. For that matter, why not a couple more. Better a couple copies of the card than the same time spent doing the front and back on one card.
Shermand100 (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2017, 02:33:10 AM

As requested, fire test results night.  Shocked

A little overdue, but tonight was cold enough at home to light up the fire and put in the test piece.

The fire, coal at its base, a mix of softwoods above.

The test piece is in centrally and the fire was kept fuelled at a level similar to what's pictured above for roughly 3 hours. When adding new logs the metal could be seen to be glowing orange/red.

End of the evening, metal cooled slowly.

Lightly brushed (dry) to remove soot. Some letters obscured.

Next cleaned with a mild abrasive (plastic dish sponge and water).

First observation - The heat of the fire appears to have melted the copper. The copper was the decorative plating added to the bitcoin logo and lightly to the lettering. The now seems to be the orange splodge in the middle of the card. A google of coppers melting point puts that at 1,085'C. A search for typical fireplace temps ball park figures depending on fuels for anything between 800'c to the max theoretical adiabatic flame being 1977'C.
According to http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html a typical house fire reaches as sustains around 1097'C. More to read there if you're interested.

Lettering now is readable with just 4 of the characters in the private key obscured beyond certain readability. An 'E' could be an 'F' in the end of the top row and the 'v' at that point was now readable.

So I moved on....

These last two pictures are after a clean/light scrub with "Brasso" metal polish. I'm sure any light abrasive cleaning fluid would do.
This made a huge difference and removed a lot of debris from the fire. All letters a lot clearer now.

It's tricky to photograph but I assure you the private key was then legible with then just 2 characters requiring some time/interrogation to confirm.

Where to go from here -

If the purpose of making these was purely for function then I don't recommend the decorative copper plating on the logo/text. Coppers melting point is too low for this task. It may also cause issues in several year with corrosion on it's own or though the effect of dissimilar metal corrosion. The stainless steel card handled the heat very well. There is a slight deformity in the centre of the card. Perhaps 5mm in length, a slight shallow dent. I suspect the metal may have softened slightly in the heat and the addition of a weighty log may have caused it.

I would, in my next test, etch slightly deeper to aid in the reading of the text.

But to conclude I regard the prototype a success and it performed it's purpose. For a homemade DIY project that has sat at around 1000'C for the past 3 hours it's handled it well. That test piece was only the second I've ever made and I'm certain my next will be significantly better with those improvements.

I hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any questions about this, or to help someone with anything regarding giving this a go for themselves.

Shermand100 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2018, 01:10:49 PM

Has anyone else had a go at making one of these yet using laser printer toner and then etching?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: