Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:42:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: One Offline Wallet to Generate Both BTC and BCC Addresses?  (Read 365 times)
homsts (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 05:22:20 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2017, 06:29:17 AM by homsts

Hello all...  I'm creating an offline Ubuntu 16.04 machine with just bitcoin-qt installed.  My intention is to get a running Bitcoin Core client going on the machine and then remove the network interface and never connect it again to any network.  Then I want to generate BTC addresses and private keys on that offline machine just for saving BTC to those addresses.

Question: If on this offline machine I make (for instance) two addresses with their private keys in bitcoin-qt and only use one for funding BTC amounts and the other for funding BCC amounts will there be any problem accessing/spending the BCC at a later time by simply importing the corresponding private BCC key into (for example) a Bitcoin ABC wallet on an online machine.  In a nutshell I guess I'm wondering if the addresses/private keys are compatible across the two networks so a private key and its address can be used without issue with BOTH BTC AND BCC regardless if its created in the first place with a BTC Bitcoin Core or a BCC Bitcoin Core.

I probably did not ask that well, but I hope my point is understood.

As a follow-up to this...if the address/key pairs will work fine on either network, am I correct in assuming that I could import the keys into any offline wallet of BTC or BCC in the future to do offline signing of transactions?

thank you!!!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinReseller

Activity: 386
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 07:48:24 AM

you may check this :

http://bitaddreses.org/

but use it offline.

▓▓▓ ➤ Start Your Bitcoin Site ▓▓▓ ▓▓▓ ➤ Best Bitcoin Paying Sites ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 07:53:08 AM

Hello all...  I'm creating an offline Ubuntu 16.04 machine with just bitcoin-qt installed.  My intention is to get a running Bitcoin Core client going on the machine and then remove the network interface and never connect it again to any network.  Then I want to generate BTC addresses and private keys on that offline machine just for saving BTC to those addresses.

Question: If on this offline machine I make (for instance) two addresses with their private keys in bitcoin-qt and only use one for funding BTC amounts and the other for funding BCC amounts will there be any problem accessing/spending the BCC at a later time by simply importing the corresponding private BCC key into (for example) a Bitcoin ABC wallet on an online machine.  In a nutshell I guess I'm wondering if the addresses/private keys are compatible across the two networks so a private key and its address can be used without issue with BOTH BTC AND BCC regardless if its created in the first place with a BTC Bitcoin Core or a BCC Bitcoin Core.

I probably did not ask that well, but I hope my point is understood.

As a follow-up to this...if the address/key pairs will work fine on either network, am I correct in assuming that I could import the keys into any offline wallet of BTC or BCC in the future to do offline signing of transactions?

thank you!!!!!

I think you are right: btc and bcc have exactly the same protocol when it comes to public and private key, every btc address should work for bcc and vice-versa
Try first with a low amount, but it should work smoothly

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:23:17 AM

Yes. You can use the same wallet.dat file in both of the clients. The private keys, public key, addresses are all identical.
homsts (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 07:12:20 PM

you may check this :

http://bitaddreses.org/

but use it offline.

Very cool.  Thanks for the link.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: