Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:17:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: got a priv key and dat files but no PW.  (Read 416 times)
chrome.exe (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 07:57:19 AM

Hi there,

I did backup wallet.dat one month ago (I didnt set the password my wallet) I set the password today I thik I made an incorrect combination of my PW.

I cant access my wallet anymore. I dont remember PW,

but; I have priv key of my wallet and .dat files ( this .dat files without pw when i dont used to pw on my wallet. )

Is there any possibility to take my wallet back?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:19:30 AM

If you have a wallet.dat file before you set up a password. Then yeah, very simple. Just replace it with the one that has a password on it in the data directory.

You could also import the priv keys, but the first option is easier. In Bitcoin Core you use the command "importprivkey <your private key>" to import it.
chrome.exe (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:35:45 AM

Hi, yes I have wallet.dat files (one month ago) but I backup the files when I didnt use password.

I set the password today, and no remember.  Grin I entered wrong key button I think.

aleksej996

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:43:09 AM

Hi, yes I have wallet.dat files (one month ago) but I backup the files when I didnt use password.

I set the password today, and no remember.  Grin I entered wrong key button I think.

That is great news. Nothing to worry about then, you have your wallet. Just go to the data directory, remove (or move somewhere) the wallet.dat you find there and copy the one from the month ago in that data directory. It shouldn't ask for the password anymore.

Setting up a password is just encrypting your wallet.dat file with that password. The old wallet.dat files are not encrypted, so you can just replace it with them.
chrome.exe (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 02:22:41 PM

I'm using bitcoin core wallet on my computer and planing to take backup .dat files and priv key.nMy question are here:  

I took the wallet.dat files and priv key when wallet isnt synchronized, its still %70 and loading, can I use this wallet.dat files later? or I have to wait full synchronized and take a backup files when it is finish. Im not sure about these .dat files.

aleksej996

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 02:48:47 PM

I'm using bitcoin core wallet on my computer and planing to take backup .dat files and priv key.nMy question are here:  

I took the wallet.dat files and priv key when wallet isnt synchronized, its still %70 and loading, can I use this wallet.dat files later? or I have to wait full synchronized and take a backup files when it is finish. Im not sure about these .dat files.

No, you don't need to wait. Wallet.dat file will always contain your private keys and that is all you need. If you wait for it to finish syncing, the wallet file will contain the transactions for those addresses as well, but they are not necessary, as they are on the blockchain anyway and can always get them later.
fusepay

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 05:42:06 PM

No, you don't need to wait. Wallet.dat file will always contain your private keys and that is all you need. If you wait for it to finish syncing, the wallet file will contain the transactions for those addresses as well, but they are not necessary, as they are on the blockchain anyway and can always get them later.

Well said, and the difference between a backup wallet.dat file is it is more easier corruptible than a string of text being the public / priv keys of your bitcoin wallet, or printed out paper wallet. If that makes sense.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: