Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:25:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Throttling bitcoin traffic with Tomato?  (Read 1072 times)
halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:51:30 AM

I hate to have to do this, but alas, bandwidth is limited and bitcoin traffic is really cutting into my bandwidth.  In a perfect world, Google Fiber would be rolled out everywhere and this would be a non-issue, alas, that is not reality.

Thus, I have to choose to either: throttle bitcoin traffic, or not use the full client at all.  I'd prefer to throttle it and at least contribute somewhat to the bitcoin project by passing traffic along somewhat than not at all.  Has anyone done this using Tomato as their router's firmware before?  I'd love to set it up so that I can have the bitcoin client running and still be able to use the internet regularly as well.

I'm sure I could figure it out, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone's done this before so I'm not reinventing the wheel on this.  I only just flashed my Linksys router's firmware to use Tomato last week, so I'm still learning it's UI.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
halfawake (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:21:43 AM

After an internet upgrade, I ended up doing this using a program called NetBalancer just so we won't have future issues.  Very easy, and the free version of the program lets you throttle specific applications to whatever amount of bandwidth you need.  Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else is having similar issues.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: