Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:28:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 dead hash board repair needed  (Read 5079 times)
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 08:47:19 PM

I live in the United States, but I've been doing repairs all over the world. It's pretty easy to ship stuff over here, I recommend in-country Postal service or DHL as they usually do a good job. UPS is blah, bordering on dingbats. I always ship stuff Priority Mail myself.

If I can't fix it of course I return it; it's yours. I just request shipping charges back, and there's no charge if I can't fix something. Payment is due after I fix and test it, and if you're really not satisfied I'd do a refund.

I'll PM you shipping information and such. I really should build a website one of these days. Powered by Edlin....

C

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 08:51:19 PM

I suppose if they are series(as logic ICs should NEVER be) and they are shorting to ground you're going to get a lot of burnt connectors and I am seeing a lot of those here and on eBay. But slowly going out one by one that has to be completely unrelated to power delivery, unless it's the power supply is sending noisy power then there is no causal relationship between the first going out and any others, they are just all the symptom of the one continuous PWS malfunction. One other option , and that one is causal , when the first chip goes out it doesn't truly die it just goes insane, sending spurious signals throughout the whole power bus killing the others one by one (haha, I should call this the zombie theory ). Since you think I should do some more research maybe you could point me to the data sheets or maybe the schematics, lol thats funny.

Um.......

Think about it: The string of chips is powered by a buck/boost power supply on the board......

You can download the Datasheets for pretty much all the parts on the board other than the hashing engines, and due to a screaming lack of creativity newer chips are surprisingly similar to older ones which do have documentation online. As for schematics, there's really a limited number of ways these things can go together and you can go a long way by fuzzing the logic boards. Just takes time and patience.

C
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
December 16, 2017, 08:59:37 PM

I live in the United States, but I've been doing repairs all over the world. It's pretty easy to ship stuff over here, I recommend in-country Postal service or DHL as they usually do a good job. UPS is blah, bordering on dingbats. I always ship stuff Priority Mail myself.

If I can't fix it of course I return it; it's yours. I just request shipping charges back, and there's no charge if I can't fix something. Payment is due after I fix and test it, and if you're really not satisfied I'd do a refund.

I'll PM you shipping information and such. I really should build a website one of these days. Powered by Edlin....

C

thats great i look forward to working with you.  I also live in united states so shipping be decent.  I have no problems at all with your terms.  I really appreciate you trying to work your magic on this machine.  Also would rather see a member other than bitmain figure this out and make some $ in the meantime.

Thanks.,. Ill get with you via PM

BR
Doug

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
Dibblah

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:45:09 PM

I suppose if they are series(as logic ICs should NEVER be) and they are shorting to ground you're going to get a lot of burnt connectors and I am seeing a lot of those here and on eBay. But slowly going out one by one that has to be completely unrelated to power delivery, unless it's the power supply is sending noisy power then there is no causal relationship between the first going out and any others, they are just all the symptom of the one continuous PWS malfunction. One other option , and that one is causal , when the first chip goes out it doesn't truly die it just goes insane, sending spurious signals throughout the whole power bus killing the others one by one (haha, I should call this the zombie theory ). Since you think I should do some more research maybe you could point me to the data sheets or maybe the schematics, lol thats funny.

You watch ipadrehab and you want schematics. They are not public - not like Mac not public, like "don't exist outside of Bitmain for >S4" not public. The chain is very real and very much how it's implemented. I am unsure of how much University education is worth given the above statements. Research and learn first. Buy your own kit and repair it before offering a "no-win no fee" service which will end in tears.

I would seriously suggest not sending boards to people who don't have a proven track record with antminers or at the very least modern ASIC miners.
Flakes

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 07:40:51 PM

I'm buying back defective S9 board if you are interested
Dibblah

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 09:59:45 AM

Interesting read for those actually doing repairs. Getting flux out is as important as getting it in - and it's quite badly constrained on this design if you don't get the board fully up to reflow through the entire via.

http://www.aat-corp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/QFN-Design-Considerations-to-Improve-Cleaning-2013.docx
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 05:13:56 PM

Guys, changing ethernet cable from a right angled one to a normal one apparently brought my dead hashboard to life... Perhaps try that first?

This occurred on 2 of my miners lol, 2 hashboards total.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
fjtropepe

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:32:15 PM

I have three dead boards. Looking for someone to repair them. I PMed lightfoot but haven't heard back yet. Anyone else having any luck getting a repair job done?
taserz

Activity: 800
Merit: 293

Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 11:33:07 PM

I have three dead boards. Looking for someone to repair them. I PMed lightfoot but haven't heard back yet. Anyone else having any luck getting a repair job done?

Depends what is wrong?

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
fjtropepe

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:54:52 AM

Depends what is wrong?

Million dollar question. If I only knew. lol.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 02:05:30 AM

Just been busy with Titan controllers (everyone's running Neptunes all of a sudden), Christmas, and Eggnog. Lots of eggnog....
dan1200rr

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 04:36:13 PM

Hello, I'm working with the computer and other electronics hardware for many years - have a lot of expensive soldering and testing equpment, I can repair this boards. I'm living in EU so you can easily send it to me. My email address: dan911@wp.pl
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 06:04:31 PM

Ok, eggnog all drunk. I just also fixed a pair of S7's and a bunch of Neptune controller boards so once I get these titans completed I can take a look. In the meantime I have another thread about my findings on S7/S9 boards, some of them have real quality control problems (if the heat sinks are not all lined up you will have serious airflow issues for starter. Factory problem). The thread is at:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2650906

C
JanAndre

Activity: 20

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 02:44:35 PM

Hi guys. I work with some farms in Asia, and they have a lot of broken S9 cards. I was thinking about switching chips around to fix some boards. Have anybody donne this? Is possibility to buy a tool to identify a broken chip?
All ideas are welcome! Total, I am talking about 20-30 S9, so it’s parts available, and money to save.
Regards, Jan
the_electronrancher

Activity: 112
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 04:59:40 PM

Sure, you could take live chips from a donor device and use them to replace dead chips.  The rework is not trivial, though.. you must remove heatsink and epoxy before soldering the new devices.

Do you have experience in this kind of rework?  It's is more than just buying a hot air station, unfortunately.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:54:52 PM

Sure, you could take live chips from a donor device and use them to replace dead chips.  The rework is not trivial, though.. you must remove heatsink and epoxy before soldering the new devices.

Do you have experience in this kind of rework?  It's is more than just buying a hot air station, unfortunately.
Sort of. I regularly replace 324 pin BGA FPGA units, and can handle most types of QFN packaging. The trick is to use the right kind of flux and take one's time. That said, heat sink removal isn't difficult (the pre-heater can bring the board up to the point where the glue softens), new heat sink epoxy can be found, and although it's deep, pulling the chip is do-able.

However I don't have spare boards yet. So if you have a single unit that needs fixing, it might be better to contact the bitmainwarranty people and see what they charge until I get one.

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:56:33 PM

Hi guys. I work with some farms in Asia, and they have a lot of broken S9 cards. I was thinking about switching chips around to fix some boards. Have anybody donne this? Is possibility to buy a tool to identify a broken chip?
All ideas are welcome! Total, I am talking about 20-30 S9, so it’s parts available, and money to save.
Regards, Jan

Well, if you want to send some of the boards over I'd be happy to do triage and take a look at them. Sometimes it's not the chips, sometimes it is, and sometimes the board is wrecked from a chip fire (and thus a good source of parts).

Let me know via PM if you would like me to take a look, if there's that many boards to look at I can give it a go.
vyking_ua

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:30:15 PM

Anybody knows where can I get new hash boards for Antminer s9 14TH? And if it is possible how much does it cost? I live in Greece and one of my hash boards is off.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:34:15 PM

Ebay is usually the go-to place, but make sure you can return it if it doesn't work. So what's wrong with your board?
vyking_ua

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:49:30 PM

So what's wrong with your board?
Emmm... Today I just get from statistic this:
http://image.prntscr.com/image/SgfI1yY7SVOBLfo9xWD7LQ.png
I tried to reboot, restart, default setting - no result.
In kernel logs I have:
Code:
chain[6]: [63:255] [63:255] [63:255] [63:255] [63:255] [63:255] [63:255] [63:255]
has freq in PIC, will disable freq setting.
chain[6] has freq in PIC and will jump over...
Chain[6] has core num in PIC
Chain[6] ASIC[17] has core num=4
Chain[6] ASIC[61] has core num=2
Check chain[6] PIC fw version=0x03
Chain[J6] has 63 asic
Chain[J7] has 39 asic
set_reset_hashboard = 0x00000040
set_reset_hashboard = 0x00000000
retry Chain[J7] has 39 asic
Chain[J8] has 63 asic
So, I'm looking for replacements.
On Ebay I tried to find but no hash boards found for S9.
I wrote to BitMain but they have holidays until 25th January and no answer.
So maybe anybody knows or have got any hash board new ?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: