Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:15:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 dead hash board repair needed  (Read 5076 times)
bigGG

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:56:25 PM

Hi,
I live in the UK.

One of the boards has stopped hashing on my 14Th s9. It's been running beautifully 24/7 for the last 8 months.

I wonder if anyone knows of a reliable, and reasonably quick, repairer in EU, (or anywhere else for that matter).

I did send a board to Bitmain Warranty last year and they did a good job repairing it, but it took 8 weeks  for the round trip to Colorado and back to the UK.

Please PM me if you have any information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Minestrone

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 07:05:46 PM

Hi,
I live in the UK.

One of the boards has stopped hashing on my 14Th s9. It's been running beautifully 24/7 for the last 8 months.

I wonder if anyone knows of a reliable, and reasonably quick, repairer in EU, (or anywhere else for that matter).

I did send a board to Bitmain Warranty last year and they did a good job repairing it, but it took 8 weeks  for the round trip to Colorado and back to the UK.

Did bitmain warranty explain the exact problem with the board before they fixed it? and how much did they charge?. I would also be interested in any information on repairers closer to the UK as I also have a dead board on my S9.
bigGG

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 08:35:00 PM

Bitmain Warranty did not say what the problem was. The board they repaired is still running fine 3 months on.

I was a bit surprised as I thought they may just return me any old repaired board but it was actually the same board I sent out there. I recorded the board serial number before it went and the same board came back Smiley I did have to mail them quite a few times for status updates and the were a bit slow replying to mails.

It cost me £18 to ship to the US $175 for the repair, $25 for the postage US to UK and then, the real stinger, £46 import duty.
MinerMEDIC

Activity: 166
Merit: 82

EET/NASA intern 2013 Bitmain/MicroBT/IPC cert

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:27:40 PM

Bitmain Warranty did not say what the problem was. The board they repaired is still running fine 3 months on.

I was a bit surprised as I thought they may just return me any old repaired board but it was actually the same board I sent out there. I recorded the board serial number before it went and the same board came back Smiley I did have to mail them quite a few times for status updates and the were a bit slow replying to mails.

It cost me £18 to ship to the US $175 for the repair, $25 for the postage US to UK and then, the real stinger, £46 import duty.
If you look real close to you see any new chips? Board modifications? I'm doing S9 board repair and the problems that cannot be seen cosmetically are always the most difficult. I'm always gathering information on past repairs (there's no sense in reinventing the wheel).

---Hi, I'm Juergen "Jay" & I TEACH and REPAIR ASIC HASHBOARDS-- Purdue AS EET -- MinerMEDIC is NOW FREELANCE in Chicago!
bigGG

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 08:28:47 AM

If you look real close to you see any new chips? Board modifications? I'm doing S9 board repair and the problems that cannot be seen cosmetically are always the most difficult. I'm always gathering information on past repairs (there's no sense in reinventing the wheel).

When the board came back from Bitmain Warranty I had a good look at it and there were no signs of anything being done! Having said that when I took it out the miner there was no sign of any issues.

I now have 2 boards that have stopped functioning, (from my other S9) both power up but show a shorter than normal ASIC status list of 0000 0000 in the miner status web page.

I have switched around control and power cables, but all attempts result in the same display output.

I was just about to send them off to Bitmain Warranty (strangely re-branded as myRig.com, I guess the real Bitmain objected to the use of their name?)

Are you still fixing boards? PM me.
Brokerstar

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:38:14 PM

I also have an S9 hashing board that’s stopped working. I’ve put it up on eBay if anyone wants it who fixes these things

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302616735752
Bito4ek500

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:19:23 PM

Hi All,

I have plenty of dead S9 550 MHz hash boards and I'm looking to have them fixed.
I tried contacting bitmain warranty but they are not responding for last 15 days. The boards are located in EU.
Or maybe I can find some reliable tutorial how to diagnose and repair dead hash boards.

Michal
Remember that the s9 board is a string design board. Any single failure point will cause it to stop working, most often this presents itself as a single bad chip. The problem with this is you cannot source brand new s9 chips to do the repairs properly.
MinerMEDIC

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:43:16 PM

Likewise I have been doing a fair bit of work with S7's and now have my rig set up for S9's. If you want to send a board in for review, either post here or pm me for details.

Quick thoughts:
1) If it shorts out/shuts down a power supply I can probably fix it.
2) Make sure the board is warm and not cold before trying to start
3) If the power plugs are burned I can fix that as well.

C

Where are  you located?

i have 550 mhz batch.  One by one hash boards went down.  First was middle then slowly the last two  I then purchased a new controller to find that wasnt the issue.  Seems the led never comes on the hash board.  I check log its trying to push the voltage but nothing happens..  I check with multimeter and it jumps from 9.5 volts to 0 several times then it will stop.  So it seems its trying to supply voltage to start up.  I have 0 knowledge in this area.  But im willing to take a risk and send it to you in the hopes you can do this repair for others aswell.  I will send whole s9 to you.  But in the event nothing can be done i will need this back.  AS you may not be aware they are selling next to a 1000$ usd on ebay for broken non hashing units.  Regardless i want it back one way or another.  If you cant do it maybe someone else will come along later.  

If you do think you can repair i would like to know upfront cost to do so before proceeding.

Thanks for considering.

BR
Doug

Can't you get a board repaired/replaced by bitmainwarranty for $250.  I think the eBay prices are a little inflated these days.
Don't forget to add the hidden cost of having your entire machine gone for a month.
BTW I did do a little research and found these chips are in fact not powered serially just as I suspected(the data lines may be tho). I am very close to finishing my research and hope to have a turnaround half of bitmainwarrantee.

---Hi, I'm Juergen "Jay" & I TEACH and REPAIR ASIC HASHBOARDS-- Purdue AS EET -- MinerMEDIC is NOW FREELANCE in Chicago!
storeship

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:38:04 AM

Hi,
I live in the UK.

I did send a board to Bitmain Warranty last year and they did a good job repairing it, but it took 8 weeks  for the round trip to Colorado and back to the UK.

Did bitmain warranty explain the exact problem with the board before they fixed it? and how much did they charge?. I would also be interested in any information on repairers closer to the UK as I also have a dead board on my S9.

Im also looking for UK repairer, really doesnt seem worthwhile with just one board out losing mining time and cost involved?
flashjpr

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 10:25:29 AM

Today, 2 of my S9s gave me an unforgettable morning: for one asic,2 boards are not responding, and for the other 1 board is not appearing.
The boards don't show up at all in Mining Status.
Strangely enough, they both failed while switching from BCH to BTC. I find they extremely bizarre.

https://imgur.com/a/Yp4d5

I don't know what I should do with them now, as they are only 1 month old ...
Should I send them back as they are still under warranty, keep them like this.

Seems like a big hit as losing 3 HB translates to wiping out 1 out of 3 miners completely.

dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 03:44:54 AM

Today, 2 of my S9s gave me an unforgettable morning: for one asic,2 boards are not responding, and for the other 1 board is not appearing.
The boards don't show up at all in Mining Status.
Strangely enough, they both failed while switching from BCH to BTC. I find they extremely bizarre.

https://imgur.com/a/Yp4d5

I don't know what I should do with them now, as they are only 1 month old ...
Should I send them back as they are still under warranty, keep them like this.

Seems like a big hit as losing 3 HB translates to wiping out 1 out of 3 miners completely.

For S9 you need to ship the entire machine to bitmain for warranty, details here: https://shop.bitmain.com/workOrderGuide.htm. I sent a board to myrig.com for repair, they got it on Dec 26th and I'm still waiting, so I really can't recommend them at this point. As for a new account here asking for your boards...  Roll Eyes
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 05:39:09 PM

Right now Bitmainwarranty is the best bet for fixing these. They seem to do a pretty good job, but they don't post anything about how they do it or what the root problem is.

Which is fair enough, I respect that.

That said I operate on a different model: Information is free, work and skills are paid for. Thus I'm posting all of my repair stuff in my "Hacking (whatever it is) for (fun and profit, because it needs to be done, I'm bored, etc) threads.

At the moment I can fix some issues, and am getting closer to fixing all the categories of problems, I just figured out how to isolate and swap bad hashing chips (and there are those). Once I get reliably over that hurdle I should be able to add antminer S9's to my list of things that can be fixed (and anyone else with the skills can do it too, more people fixing these things the better for home miners and such).

Keeps me out of trouble :-)

Radzivil

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:57:54 AM

Hi, one of my hashing boards of Antminer S9 is seems to be broken, so I'd like to send it to you for repair if you can fix it. The issue is unknown, the whole miner worked several weeks after returning from Bitmain's warranty, but one of board's temp (chip2) in miner status was 15 and fan worked full speed (6000 rpm) all time. Then after powering off/on this one board just disappeared from miner status. Resetting, flashing new firmware, rebooting, reconnecting and changing cables, replacing another APW3++ and ethernet cable - nothing helped. So, I don't wanna send a whole miner to Bitmain again, as they want for even paid repair. Do you think it's possible to fix it without a whole miner?

Best regards
storeship

Activity: 41

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 02:03:23 PM

You can claim the Import Duty back if product went for repair outside the EU

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/outward-processing-relief-opr
HoleShot

Activity: 70
Merit: 34

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 02:19:50 AM

Does anyone have schematics, board layouts, parts list?
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 06:50:32 PM

For S9 you need to ship the entire machine to bitmain for warranty, details here: https://shop.bitmain.com/workOrderGuide.htm. I sent a board to myrig.com for repair, they got it on Dec 26th and I'm still waiting, so I really can't recommend them at this point. As for a new account here asking for your boards...  Roll Eyes

The boards I shipped BitmainWarrenty(now MyRig) that they received on December 12th were just shipped back to me repaired.  Hoping to get them in the next couple of days. 

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
MinerMEDIC

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 09:40:19 AM

Does anyone have schematics, board layouts, parts list?
Already started. Heres the growing S9 parts list.
Schematics? lol, in your(our) dreams, seems there's a new board version every couple months. (Just to make things worse.) I can tell you the chain order doesn't appear to change. #1(zero) starts by the IO connector and ends with the bottom row near the huge inductor(also the chip with its 'busy' pin connected to TF LED).
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2963970.0

HoleShot

Activity: 70
Merit: 34

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 05:00:25 PM

MM, this is awesome. Thanks for doing this.

I looked up one of the components in their latest PSU so I'll give you the data. There are two of these thermistors in it. It's labeled 5D-15.

HERMISTOR NTC 47D-15

Abstract: NTC 5D-15 MF72 Power NTC Thermistor MF72 Power NTC Thermistor. The MF72 series Power NTC Thermistors provide inrush current suppression for sensitive electronics. Connecting a MF72 in series with the power source will limit the current surges typically created at turn on. Once the circuit is energized the resistance of the MF72 will decrease rapidly to a very low value, power consumption can be ignored and there will be no effect on normal operating current.

kodokbuduk

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 12:28:36 PM

I have S9 12.93TH hashboard sent to bitmain HK for repair (out of warranty), they said it cannot be repaired anymore. WHY cannot? anyone know who can repair this? in US?
BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 01:28:48 PM

I have S9 12.93TH hashboard sent to bitmain HK for repair (out of warranty), they said it cannot be repaired anymore. WHY cannot? anyone know who can repair this? in US?
Did they offer to replace it?

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: