Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:54:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What percentage of Bitcoin users do you think use the forum actively?
< 5%
5% - 25%
25% - 50%
50% - 75%
> 75%

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] How many Bitcoin users do you think use the forum?  (Read 350 times)
Fishbones78 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 11:48:26 PM

Okay, here's a question that I've been thinking about for a while!

What percentage of Bitcoin users do you think use the forum actively, or have at least registered?

To me, Bitcoin would be a bit boring without this forum, almost like its more the forum I mostly like to participate in rather than the Bitcoin itself. I use the forum to make every last Bitcoin I have, so without it I would probably just read about it rather than own it. Short and sweet, I still like Bitcoin itself, but without the forum I would not be nearly as engaged with it as I am today.

Before you give your answer, here are some things to think about:
  • Drug dealers and other dodgy people are unlikely to bother using a forum for enthusiasts
  • Enthusiasts are very likely to be active or at least signed up to the forum
  • Some enthusiasts may use alternative forums like r/Bitcoin and may not even know about BitcoinTalk
  • Some people may use Bitcoin legitimately, but use it for money purposes only. They don't care about the BTC news or how it works, they just use it and therefore have no reason to use the forum

What else do you think is worth considering before submitting your answer?
Variogam

Activity: 276
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 12:20:51 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2017, 12:42:04 AM by Variogam

What percentage of Bitcoin users do you think use the forum actively, or have at least registered?

Few thousands out of few millions, so about 0.1%

From this view your pool options are ridiculous.

Multiaccounting is norm here, so sign up numbers does not represent number of unique users here.
Shimeka30

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 03:25:49 AM

Multiaccounting is norm here, so sign up numbers does not represent number of unique users here.
I think that's not possible to trace how many users do we have in the forum. Like what you said there are many community here has a lot of accounts here then all are anonymous too that's why it will be difficult. Maybe my guess was 10k to 50k members.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2017, 03:48:55 AM

Use the forum? Some people read the forum others create an account and participate in the threads.

Those that create an account get a unique identification number. Those numbers usually are assigned in sequential order, and if you find someone that created an account today you'll get a pretty good idea of the total number of accounts created on the forum. Now you have to account for how many single people have multiple accounts, and then adjust down that number of accounts by such an assumption to arrive at an estimate of the number of actual people that have created accounts.

Here's the profile link of a Newbie that registered on August 30, 2017: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1130390 At the end of the url of this profile link you'll find this unique identification number, "u=#######". In this case that number is 1130390 or 1,130,390.

My guess is there have been 1.13 million accounts created on this forum.

Now, let's assume that represents 1 person per account (we know it doesn't, but that's ok for now).

How many people own and/or use bitcoin?

The total number of bitcoin wallets is 16.6 million (https://blockchain.info/charts/my-wallet-n-users?timespan=all). Now we all know that everyone (nearly everyone) has more than one wallet address.

Now, I don't have a good hunch on how to adjust this number down. BUT if we assume that each wallet represents one person than 10% of bitcoin users have accounts on this forum. It's a starting point...and less than I first thought when I answered the poll.
Fishbones78 (OP)

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 09:30:27 AM

Use the forum? Some people read the forum others create an account and participate in the threads.

Those that create an account get a unique identification number. Those numbers usually are assigned in sequential order, and if you find someone that created an account today you'll get a pretty good idea of the total number of accounts created on the forum. Now you have to account for how many single people have multiple accounts, and then adjust down that number of accounts by such an assumption to arrive at an estimate of the number of actual people that have created accounts.

Here's the profile link of a Newbie that registered on August 30, 2017: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1130390 At the end of the url of this profile link you'll find this unique identification number, "u=#######". In this case that number is 1130390 or 1,130,390.

My guess is there have been 1.13 million accounts created on this forum.

Now, let's assume that represents 1 person per account (we know it doesn't, but that's ok for now).

How many people own and/or use bitcoin?

The total number of bitcoin wallets is 16.6 million (https://blockchain.info/charts/my-wallet-n-users?timespan=all). Now we all know that everyone (nearly everyone) has more than one wallet address.

Now, I don't have a good hunch on how to adjust this number down. BUT if we assume that each wallet represents one person than 10% of bitcoin users have accounts on this forum. It's a starting point...and less than I first thought when I answered the poll.
I've personally gone through tens of wallets, and think how many wallets were dumped recently to claim Bitcoin Cash safely. Then again, think about people who have tens of forum accounts - but that is slightly outweighed by those who only have one I suppose. The same for addresses.

Genuinely very hard to tell, but its got to be low.
A1exander

Activity: 336
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 09:47:25 AM

Just an example form my own experience. I've heard about bitcoin in 2011, I've been reading this forum and later I even registered an account about which I forgot later. After some pumps and dumps I essentially lost interest (partially due to other personal matters). Then I registered a new account in 2016, but I was mostly reading. This year things started to get really interesting (huge price increase, ICOs, SegWit, Bitcoin Cash, etc.), so now I am more or less active.

I suppose there may be a lot of people like me, and even greater number of those who do not use this forum at all.
bitorama

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 09:49:53 AM

I wanna know if bitcointalk is banned in china
Yuhee

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 09:59:56 AM

I think all unique users are into bitcoin and there are just a few who are just here to advertise there own ICO. I would just call this multi accounts as unique users but even though everyday there are newbies who really are newbies, i doubt they would be into it in just a month. People got to wait for long term at least  to be termed as bitcoin user that is used for trading and that they are manipulating there btc in there own accord.
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 10:08:02 AM

Any sort of answer is impossible to be accurate because it is impossible to estimate even the number of people who use Bitcoin, let alone the percentage of those who use this forum.
When you add multi-accounting to the mix it's just not possible to know.
I voted for 5% - 25% anyways.
I wanna know if bitcointalk is banned in china
It's not.
adiwibowo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 10:11:34 AM

I think 75% are using bitcoin in forums
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: