Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 10:02:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Appropiate Power supply unit to power lots of cards?  (Read 384 times)
ProFF7 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 07:15:33 PM

Hi, I have now a "rig" of 2 RX 470 cards (mostly my old good gaming pc adapted to mining), theorically I could put 3 on my motherboard, but my modular 750w tacens mars gaming only had 2 pciex connectors and could not find a way to connect a third card.

These frustrating problems with connectors got me thinking on how to power my next rig.

For next I want to use a 13 slot Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ with lots of RX 560, which are the only ones available now. They dont consume much, but still I have the problem of connectors...

Any sensible way of powering so many of these with one or two PSU, and which models are good for this?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 07:33:29 PM

A 1000 W and 850 W EVGA G2 or P2 dual PSU setup would give you a total of 10 PCI-E connectors on the PSU's. I would use the 6 PCI-E connectors on the 1000 W PSU for the VGA power inputs, using two per PCI-E cable with a 8-pin PCI-E to Dual 8-Pin PCI-E splitter cable. The 850 W PSU would power the motherboard, CPU, accessories and 8 of the risers using the 4 PCI-E connectors with a dual 8-pin splitter and the remaining risers using a dual sata/molex to 6-pin PCI-E adapter cable. When using Sata or Molex connectors to power risers it's important to not use more than two risers per PSU cable to avoid overloading the cable.

8-pin PCI-E to Dual 8-Pin PCI-E splitter

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20CM-Black-Sleeved-8-Pin-PCI-E-GPU-to-Dual-8-6-2-Pin-Splitter-PC/32688175733.html

Dual sata to 6-pin connectors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Deconn-SATA-15-Pin-Male-to-PCI-Express-6-Pin-Dual-Video-Card-Adapter-Cable/32584991290.html

Dual molex to 6-pin connectors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4Pcs-High-Quality-2-x-Molex-To-PCI-E-Power-Adapter-4Pin-4-Pin-6-Pin/32759205876.html

To connect the two PSU's together you can use a dual ATX splitter cable

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24Pin-20-4pin-Dual-PSU-ATX-Power-Supply-Adaptor-Cable-Connector-For-Mining-30cm-XXM8/32818053442.html
ProFF7 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 12:35:55 AM

Thanks for the amazing and detailed reply, Vann

Do you think using two of these Aerocool XPredator Gold 1000W Modular would be a viable alternative? they would have 8 pcie connectors in total.
http://www.coolmod.com/aerocool-xpredator-80-plus-gold-1000w-modular-fuente-psu-precio
Mostly I can access these locally

Also, one question about the splitters, since I never used these. are they meant to be connected directly to the PSU vga slots so they can power 2 GPU with one connector? are they different to the usual regular pci-e cables you usually get with PSUs? excuse my ignorance Smiley
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 02:01:39 AM

Thanks for the amazing and detailed reply, Vann

Do you think using two of these Aerocool XPredator Gold 1000W Modular would be a viable alternative? they would have 8 pcie connectors in total.
http://www.coolmod.com/aerocool-xpredator-80-plus-gold-1000w-modular-fuente-psu-precio
Mostly I can access these locally

Also, one question about the splitters, since I never used these. are they meant to be connected directly to the PSU vga slots so they can power 2 GPU with one connector? are they different to the usual regular pci-e cables you usually get with PSUs? excuse my ignorance Smiley

I would strongly suggest that you go with a PSU with its guts originally manufactured by FSP, Seasonic, Super Flower, etc. Upper-end Corsair and EVGA PSUs have one of those as the OEM (those aren't the only two reputable brands, though). I wouldn't use an Aerocool PSU for any build, let alone a 24/7 mining system. They just don't have a great reputation for selling reliable units.

Regardless, no matter what brand you go with, you just might end up with a dud unit, so be careful.

Another thing to note is that running a dual PSU system creates an additional point of failure. If either PSU goes down, you'll have an issue. (If the primary one fails, the entire rig is down, and if the secondary one goes down, the cards on the other PSU may or may not be affected.) I would not trust one Aerocool PSU for mining, let alone TWO in a non-redundant configuration.

Oh, and don't forget to double-check that you've balanced the load correctly between your PSUs. Just to be clear, the 24-pin PSU splitter cables aren't enough to combine the capacities of the two PSUs; distributing the load well remains your responsibility.

The 8-pin splitters Vann linked simply take one male 8-pin PCIe connector from the PSU, and give you two, effectively letting you use that one connector from the PSU to supply power to two 8-pin connections. (Don't go overboard with splitters.)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 02:07:18 AM

If you are targeting a 13 GPU rig with that mobo, you should really consider getting a SERVER PSU.

Server PSUs are 80+ Platinum certified meaning more electricity savings.
Server PSU are cheaper in terms of SRP.
Server PSUs sold to miners have enough PCIE cables to power 10 GPUs at purchase. You can then buy PCIE splitters to accommodate 13 GPUs.

One downside is that they are quite noisy. Dont get this if you'll be sleeping in the same room as your rig.
Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 04:54:06 AM

If you are targeting a 13 GPU rig with that mobo, you should really consider getting a SERVER PSU.

Server PSUs are 80+ Platinum certified meaning more electricity savings.
Server PSU are cheaper in terms of SRP.
Server PSUs sold to miners have enough PCIE cables to power 10 GPUs at purchase. You can then buy PCIE splitters to accommodate 13 GPUs.

One downside is that they are quite noisy. Dont get this if you'll be sleeping in the same room as your rig.
considering that this noise is just a normal with this server type psu I think I can consider this for my future goal I also have 2 rx570 and starting to
build my first rig so I'm looking for insight about how to make sure that my equipment will be ready if I will going to add more gpu. thanks guys for
your help and hope more insight will be provided.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: