Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:13:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when the US makes crypto-currency illegal?  (Read 8780 times)
Viscera

Activity: 660
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:53:18 AM

This might slow down Bitcoin, but it wouldn't stop it.

Military grade cryptography changes the rules of the game forever, just as nuclear weapons did, though in a completely peaceful way. It exists, there are open source implementations in the hands of the public, it cannot be uninvented, and it has many legitimate purposes. It leaves society with a stark choice: either we allow it, in which case its tremendous power has far-reaching consequences, both good and bad, or we try to suppress it, in which case we need draconian measures and will likely at most succeed in taking it away from honourable citizens rather than criminals, who will not be deterred. Radical liberty or tyranny. There are of course less dramatic compromises in between, but I think we'll find that the power of cryptography makes these compromises unenforceable.

See: Untraceable Digital Cash, Information Markets, and BlackNet

For me this is a significant post. I'm Impressed to see someone else express this opinion in such a logical manner. Clearly I agree strongly enough to add my support for this position.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
andrewsg

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:57:49 AM

I wish those who would like to discuss semantics would "fork" off in a different thread, and leave this one for the original topic - about the implications of crypto-currency being made illegal.

Bitcoin can be bad for your chi. Improve yours and mine by sending BTC to: 1N1zRYSwKQbZ8Kx1bKvTskrjGMNynVFEr1
Viscera

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:17:29 AM

that blows my mind! a sentient program can own property!

Wow, that is incredible. Satoshi IS the Cyberchrist. He given to A.I. Property!!!

Having online property that does not require the "protection" of government.
Prattler

Activity: 192

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 10:25:06 AM

What happens when the US makes crypto-currency illegal?

China, Russia, India, etc adopt it as a new world reserve currency. We all get filthy rich. US is massively hurt.

Americans tend to think they're the center of the world, but they're not the whole world.
Viscera

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:13:25 AM

Do you actually have any evidence there are such mysterious objects in this universe as citizens?

Do me a favour and tell what a citizen is factually.

A citizen is an undead cartoon of a human, an enslaved payer of protection money to the state/church mafia, farmed in monogamous pairing families.

Hooray, for the awakening, let's trade freely without middlemen. I'd like to meet in Perth to trade BTC for what have you?

Viscera

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:21:28 AM

Do you actually have any evidence there are such mysterious objects in this universe as citizens?

Do me a favour and tell what a citizen is factually.

A citizen is an undead cartoon of a human, an enslaved payer of protection money to the state/church mafia, farmed in monogamous pairing families.

This is an opinion. I asked for facts. I wanted him to tell me what a citizen is factually.

BTW, I find your opinion on what a citizen is 99% in concordance with mine  Grin

I thought it was fact. Perhaps if you read it again you might discover why you question the fact of this. I find it quite strange that Zombies have been created by the state. I'm not using it as a derogatory term but as factual.

Calling a Zombie an "undead cartoon of a human" might be a good euphemism, or an incredible accurate description, I'm not sure which.
Viscera

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 11:33:12 AM

Got any candidates? (Not snark, I mean it. I hate what the USA has become. It doesn't even resemble the nation I grew up in, and I am only middle aged.)

Although I agree significantly, I'm not really completely convinced that the US has ever been all that angelic.  The Vietnam war and the Latin American activities which transpired during at least part of my early lifetime were pretty repulsive.  It is true, however, that the spoils of our 'activities' have been more evenly distributed in times past.  Of course that does not excuse morally wrong activities, but it does add incentive to not wish to participate.  And as sure as eggs are eggs, an increase in income gap brings with it the need for enhanced internal security apparatus.

The Assange thing knocked Sweden way down no my list of interesting options and elevated Ecuador to near the top.  As best I can tell the actual people of Ecuador themselves had some understanding of the Wikileaks/Assange details, and support their government's actions.  To me this says a lot about the people.  Like most folks though, I've mostly thought about such thing and have made little concrete action.

Agree thoroughly with the 1st paragraph. I too am old enough to remember the Southeast Asia War games. Was very young, but old enough to remember. But the domestic police state and it's broad acceptance is pretty new. Kids didn't get arrested for having a plastic steak knife or a heated argument when I was a young adult, let alone a kid. Hell, most of us brought our rifles to school on the opening day of hunting season as late as 1980 in Wyoming.

Now, SAYING that could get you arrested.

Land of the free, my Cherokee ass!

I hope saying it didn't get you arrested. The biggest challenge of the FUD right now is convincing all the "Citizens" that they have the right and the power to tell them all what to do. I'm not suggesting you say things to get arrested, I'm saying that people like this SEC character are just here to stir up controversy, he probably is from the SEC and this is their best plan of attack, shout scary stories in the Forums!

htk00001

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:52:38 PM

I'm thinking even if the US government pulled out the big guns and Somehow managed to shut down bitcoin, there's 100's of other currencies they can't just shut down because they shut bitcoin down. What do you think
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 10:14:49 PM

I have not read the entire thread, but one scenario would be US makes it a felony to use cryptography without a license.   You know, because terrorists and drug dealers are using cryptography.  Banks, software companies that provide back doors, browser companies that play ball, registered Bitcoin exchanges, etc. would get licenses.

htk00001

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 01:32:24 AM

I could see the government imposing licenses for crytography, but drug dealers ...ect......would still probably get them.
polrpaul

Activity: 238

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 01:33:00 AM

pitchforks and torches time!

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 01:46:23 AM

The fat old men that control the US Government are trying to figure out how to get their hands into our collective bitcoin pockets.  They smell the money and recognize the potential, but they have yet to figure out how to gain control of it. 

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
htk00001

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 02:17:41 AM

I fear the day, man Cry
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: