Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:49:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralised! Really?  (Read 1054 times)
remedcu (OP)

Activity: 376
Merit: 103

Learner for Life!

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 01:13:06 AM

Many ICO these days says decentralised, but usually have their own central software for using that technology or product, rather than writing in smart contract.

The only thing written in smart contracts are the coin distribution, etc.

Then why these are called decentralised?

Or am I missing something?

P.S. I am learning, so any relevant info is appreciated!
VackFromOhm

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

It's turtles all the way down!

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 02:15:22 AM

Yeah, that's one word that's thrown around a lot... Technically a lot of these coins are "decentralized", but really it's been feeling like a buzzword that would be more weird to not have in your ANN thread or description.

Just understand that some things are taken as standards and really shouldn't be one of the main selling points (Buy this boat now and it floats!). Really, when you're doing your research, you'll find the points about the coin that will convince you to buy into it- it won't be some easy, cheap statement like claiming to be decentralized.

Cheers.
LakeBTC

Activity: 903
Merit: 1000

LakeBTC.com

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 02:59:14 AM

Yeah, that's one word that's thrown around a lot... Technically a lot of these coins are "decentralized", but really it's been feeling like a buzzword that would be more weird to not have in your ANN thread or description.

Just understand that some things are taken as standards and really shouldn't be one of the main selling points (Buy this boat now and it floats!). Really, when you're doing your research, you'll find the points about the coin that will convince you to buy into it- it won't be some easy, cheap statement like claiming to be decentralized.

Cheers.

Exactly. "Decentralized" has become a buzz word, along with the idea that EVERYTHING is better on-chain. But that's FAR from obvious.

Take all the recent fintech startups that run all their transactions on-chain (Humaniq, Everex etc.). Why? These guys want to reach millions, maybe billions of users. Does Blockchain have the capacity and throughput to handle this many transactions? What about on-chain transaction fees---they can be volatile and may become prohibitively expensive.

Our platform does it differently. Some people don't care about on-chain transactions. If not, we can handle them centrally on our databases and do them instantly and for free. But we're still Blockchain enthusiasts---if you want to invest in cryptos or run your transactions on-chain, you can do that on our platform, with great security. But we don't force cryptos on our users.

If you would like to know more about our approach to decentralization, please check out our ANN thread and formal whitepaper

LakeBanker: Free Banking for the World     LakeBanker.com   Token Sale. Participate Now!
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 04:01:33 AM

Many ICO these days says decentralised, but usually have their own central software for using that technology or product, rather than writing in smart contract.
You are correct,Most of the ICO these days don't even have their own ICO software forget about decentralisation.They tend to target the commercial industries  and guess who are the founders of these ICO's ? The corp orates themselves ! You cannot expect much from them,can you ?

Forget about decentralisation,ICO's only target money.Their only intention is to make people believe in their idea and sell the worthless tokens.It has become a business now.I don't even see any great developers leading any of those projects.Just money hungry corporate.
ZeroTheGreat

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:49:05 AM

Forget about decentralisation,ICO's only target money.Their only intention is to make people believe in their idea and sell the worthless tokens.It has become a business now
Yes, it's absolute majority

However, if u spotted a working open blockchain and devs're asking for reasonable capital to develop some specific features or to market the project, it can be interesting (and also can turn into Blockstream bullshit)
cah ndablek

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 02:41:40 PM

All that is said to be decentralized is because more and more new coins emerge so as to make the competition between old coins with new and more dominant users to choose which has a high selling value and emerge a desantrilisasi (changes that can happen instantly without being noticed by people quickly its existence)

███  ████     BAANX  |  The Cryptobank Revolution     ████  ███
▬▬▬  ►  ▬▬▬  ANN  Whitepaper  Telegram  Facebook  Twitter  Medium  ▬▬▬  ◄  ▬▬▬
PRE-SALE IS OPEN!  ▬▬  Register for 100BXX!  ▬▬  Subscribe to our NEWSLETTER

OneUnderBridge

Activity: 368
Merit: 266

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 06:20:03 PM

There are some nuances that need to be considered when contemplating the nature of the decentralized systems under scrutiny. There are separate components of these systems working together to build the networks (miner nodes, validator nodes, etc) all correlating their individual consensus protocols which collaborate to construct the distributed ledgers.

▐█▌
                   ███
                  █████
                ▄███████▄
 ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
  ▀███████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████████████████████▀
      ██████████████ ██████████████
      ▐████████████   ████████████▌
       ███████████     ███████████
      ▐██████████       ██████████▌
      █████████▀         ▀█████████
    ▄████████▀             ▀████████▄
  ▄███████▀▀                 ▀▀███████▄
▄█████▀▀                         ▀▀█████▄
Trade  Whitepaper  Bounties    ▬▬▬▬▬
..Connect and Create..
                ▄▄████▄▄
               ██████████
              ████████████
              ████████████
      █████   ████████████   █████
     ███████  ████████████  ███████
     ███████   ██████████   ███████
     ███████    ████████    ███████
      ██████    ████████    ██████
      █████▀   ██████████   ▀█████
   ▄▄██▀▀    ██████████████    ▀▀█▄▄
 █████  ████████████████████████  █████
█████  ██████████████████████████  █████
       ██████████████████████████

The Movement
Unstoppable Organization
                  ▐█▌
                   ███
                  █████
                ▄███████▄
 ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
  ▀███████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████████████████████▀
      ██████████████ ██████████████
      ▐████████████   ████████████▌
       ███████████     ███████████
      ▐██████████       ██████████▌
      █████████▀         ▀█████████
    ▄████████▀             ▀████████▄
  ▄███████▀▀                 ▀▀███████▄
▄█████▀▀                         ▀▀█████▄      
Trade  Whitepaper  Bounties    ▬▬▬
Connect and Create
⌠                  ▄▄████▄▄
               ██████████
              ████████████
              ████████████
      █████   ████████████   █████
     ███████   ██████████   ███████
     ███████    ████████    ███████
      ██████    ████████    ██████
      █████▀   ██████████   ▀█████
   ▄▄██▀▀    ██████████████    ▀▀█▄▄
 █████  ████████████████████████  █████
█████  ██████████████████████████  █████
DimaZ88

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 06:39:06 PM

A lot of people misunderstand the meaning of decentralization, especially in regards to blockchain.

This is a great resource that fully explains which parts of blockchain are centralized, decentralized, and in what way.
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 06:45:33 PM

Good observation my friend. That sort of behavior should be seriously frowned at. Maybe Cryptocurrency users should organize to oppose some of things. Crypto writers, journalists, promoters, users etc need to do everything possible to promote decentralization before the unethical behavior becomes a cultural
Voice-Of-Reason

Activity: 228

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 06:45:55 PM

A lot of people misunderstand the meaning of decentralization, especially in regards to blockchain.

This is a great resource that fully explains which parts of blockchain are centralized, decentralized, and in what way.

Thanks for a good read!

Buzzwords are what seems to sell...
electricretard

Activity: 170

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:08:05 PM

None of this shit is really decentralized. Those with money and connections will always be on top, and the one who controls the GitHub repo controls the coin, no matter what coin it is.
liatedgnay

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 01:06:44 AM

For me, decentralized means poor performance for centralized. I'm try to building the decentralized game and decentralized exchange, and I found it's difficult to improve the performance of decentralized layer, but it's more believable because of decentralized layer.
remedcu (OP)

Activity: 376
Merit: 103

Learner for Life!

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 01:45:48 AM

So, my assumption was not wrong at all. There are hardly any ICO which are actually decentralized and have a plan which can be executed within the timeframe in their respective roadmap.
WSDN

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

IDENA.IO - Proof-Of-Person Blockchain

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 02:28:10 AM

For me, decentralized means poor performance for centralized. I'm try to building the decentralized game and decentralized exchange, and I found it's difficult to improve the performance of decentralized layer, but it's more believable because of decentralized layer.
what project r u working on? is it a new coin or a service use blockchain technology

▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▄
           ▄▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀▀▄
        ▄▀▀  ▄▄▀█          ▀█▀▄▄  ▀▀▄
      ▄▀▀ ▄▄▀    ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
     █   █            ▀            █   █
   ▄▀ █  ▀▄▄                     ▄█▀  █ ▀▄
  ▄▀ ▄▀ █▄ ▀▀▀██▄▄▄       ▄▄▄██▀▀  ██ ▀▄ ▀▄
  ▀▄▀▀▄ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▄   ▄▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ▄▀▀▄▀
 ██   █ ██ ▀▄    ▀▄ █   █ ▄▀    ▄▀ ██ █  ▀██
 █  ▄█  ▀█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █   █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █   █▄  █
█▀ █  █  █          █   █          █  █  █ ▀▀
 █▀  ▄▀  █▀▄        █   █        ▄▀█  ▀▄  ▀█
 ▄  █▀   █ ▀█▄      ▀   ▀      ▄█▀ █  ▄▀█  ▄
 █▄▀  █  █                         █  █  ▀▄█
 ▀▄  █   ▀█        ▄▄▀▄▀▄▄        █▀   █  ▄
  ▀▄▀▀  █▄ █     ▀█  ▀▀▀  █▀     █ ▄█ ▄▀▀▄▀
   ▀ ▄  ██ █▀▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀     ▄▀█ ██ ▀▄ ▀
    ▀█  ██ █ █▀▄    ▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▀█ █ ██  █▀
      ▀▄ ▀ █ █ ██▄         ▄██ █ █ ▀ ▄▀
        ▀▄ █ █ █ ▀█▄     ▄█▀ █ █ █ ▄▀
          ▀▀▄█ █    ▀▀▀▀▀    █ █▄▀▀
              ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀

I  D  E  N  A

Proof-of-Person Blockchain

Join the mining of the first human-centric
cryptocurrency

▲    2 6 8 0

N  O  D  E  S

██
                ██
                ██
                ██
                ██
         ▄      ██      ▄
         ███▄   ██   ▄███
          ▀███▄ ██ ▄███▀
            ▀████████▀
              ▀████▀
                ▀▀
██▄                            ▄██
███                            ███
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀▀██████████████████████████▀▀

D O W N L O A D

Idena node

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀        ▀▀█████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀███
███      █   ▄▄ █▀▄        ███
██▀      █  ███ █  ▀▄      ▀██
███       █   ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀█       ███
███       █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █       ███
███       █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █       ███
██▄      █  ▄▄▄▄▄▄  █      ▄██
███      █          █      ███
███▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███
████▄                ▄████
▀█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▀
▀▀████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀

███

███

REQUEST INVITATION
███
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
███
aeternus

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 04:29:41 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2017, 04:46:56 AM by aeternus

There are many projects out there that do not really need a blockchain, this has become a word people use to look smart or to make their projects look high tech, some time ago I saw an ico about renting office space, why do you need an ico for that? I had no idea and if it does not make sense then do not invest on it.
Piggy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1416

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 05:08:21 AM

Decentralized, safe, fast and secure are the keywords everyone is using.

Those ico are often bullshit.
LakeBTC

Activity: 903
Merit: 1000

LakeBTC.com

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 05:18:13 AM

Decentralized, safe, fast and secure are the keywords everyone is using.

Those ico are often bullshit.

Right. The Whitepaper explains exactly how they are decentralized and MORE IMPORTANTLY why decentralization is good for the project in terms of how it will actually make money. If it doesn't, the project is just empty marketing and buzz words.

LakeBanker: Free Banking for the World     LakeBanker.com   Token Sale. Participate Now!
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 06:23:32 AM

ICO is opposite of decentralization, the only thing truly decentralized is the blockchain and any coin operating on it while the project itself has nothing

To do with decentralization mate. do you even know what happens in an ICO? if you have enough skills in coding you could sell your ideas after you

Do a showcasing of your coding skills. you sell your ideas and if you decide to take a trip some where on some island for a few years none of the ICO

Investors could do anything.
aeternus

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 04:50:24 AM

Cheers.

Exactly. "Decentralized" has become a buzz word, along with the idea that EVERYTHING is better on-chain. But that's FAR from obvious.

Take all the recent fintech startups that run all their transactions on-chain (Humaniq, Everex etc.). Why? These guys want to reach millions, maybe billions of users. Does Blockchain have the capacity and throughput to handle this many transactions? What about on-chain transaction fees---they can be volatile and may become prohibitively expensive.

Our platform does it differently. Some people don't care about on-chain transactions. If not, we can handle them centrally on our databases and do them instantly and for free. But we're still Blockchain enthusiasts---if you want to invest in cryptos or run your transactions on-chain, you can do that on our platform, with great security. But we don't force cryptos on our users.

If you would like to know more about our approach to decentralization, please check out our ANN thread and formal whitepaper

Correct, if anything bitcoin has showed that we cannot make a blockchain scale and manage millions of transactions that is why the devs of bitcoin have gone with segwit and with off chain solutions so the projects that promise that everything can be done in the blockchain and that they are going to be able to scale are lying.
Eugenius2

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 11:39:04 AM

http://d3uifzcxlzuvqz.cloudfront.net/images/stories/content/handbooks/blockchain/ibm-blockchain.jpg

I found this picture some time ago and it kinda opened my eyes.. We just don't have the facilities yet for a fully decentralised economy. However, we are potentially going into the right direction of facilitating all decentralised volume. The question is if we can break out the established ecosystem, or if they will be faster in regulating it by creating their own “corporation blockchain“.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: