Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:51:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Bittrex report to the IRS?  (Read 3920 times)
viking02 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

🌟 COMSA ICO: 10/02/17 🌟

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 02:50:55 AM

Im thinking about trading very soon.  I hear everyone says bittrex is the best option to trade.  I want to know does bittrex report to the irs?  To those of you who trade with bittrex, do you get a 1099 tax form or anything like that?  And if so, what does it show?  Does it show your transactions or profits or withdraw?  The thing is you could withdraw say 15k worth of btc... but 13k btc could be deposits and your income is only 2k.

And if this is not the right forum, i assume it should go on the legal forum?  I like to know from people who traded on bittrex if they receive these forms or not.  Or is everything on the user to record gains and losses etc. The thing is what if someone adds it incorrectly and off a bit then?

,,,,╓╖µpp╖╖,,,,
                         ,╓g▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄µ╖          ,╖
                     ,╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓Ñ╖    ,@▓▌
                  ,á▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓µ╫▓▓▓▌
                ╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▀╜╙            '╙▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
              ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▀`                       ╙▀▓▓▓███████▌
             @▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀`            ,,,,,         ,g▓███████▀`
           ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀         ,µ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▄@, ,@▓███████▀
          ]▓▓▓▓███▓`       ╓▄▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████████████▓╜
         ]▓▓▓▓█▓█╝       ╓▓█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████▀╜
         ▓▓▓▓███▌       ╙▓███████▓▒       "▀▓██████▀`
        ╫▓▓▓███▌          "▀████████▄        '▓██▀
        ▓█▓███▓▒            `▀████████▄,       `
       ]▓█████▌                ╙████████▓,
       ]▓█████▌                  ╙▓█▓█▓▓▓█▓╖
       ]▓█████▌                    ╙▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╖
        ▓█████▓[            ,,       `▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
        ▓██████[            ╓@        ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╖
        ╠██████▓          ╓▓▓▓▓m        ╙▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▓@
         ▓█████╜       ,g▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄╖╖,,,╓╖▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓
         └▓█▓╜       ,@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████▓▓█▀
          '"       ╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▓▓▓▓█████████████▀╙        ,
                 ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╜    ╙▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▀▀▀▀╜          ╓▓▓▓╖
               g▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓`                          ,g▓▓▓▓▓▓▓w
            ,g▓██████████▓▄,                    ,╓@▓▓█▓▓▓█▓██╜
            ▓████████████████▓▄▄p╖,,     ,,╓µ▄▄▓██████████▓╜
            ▓█████╜╙▀███████████████████████████████████▀`
            ▓██▓╜     "▀▀███████████████████████████▀╜`
            ▓▀`            ╙▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀"
. COMSA
ICO: Oct 2 - Nov 6
█████
▄▄▄
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
█████
█████
▄▄▄▄▄
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
█████
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 06:48:19 AM

Im thinking about trading very soon.  I hear everyone says bittrex is the best option to trade.  I want to know does bittrex report to the irs?  To those of you who trade with bittrex, do you get a 1099 tax form or anything like that?  And if so, what does it show?  Does it show your transactions or profits or withdraw?  The thing is you could withdraw say 15k worth of btc... but 13k btc could be deposits and your income is only 2k.

And if this is not the right forum, i assume it should go on the legal forum?  I like to know from people who traded on bittrex if they receive these forms or not.  Or is everything on the user to record gains and losses etc. The thing is what if someone adds it incorrectly and off a bit then?

They definitely don't send you a 1099 and they definitely don't report to the IRS. They don't even hold any licenses as a money transmitter. With them, your main worries are 1) exit scam, 2) hack, 3) identity theft. I would avoid giving them your documents. By all means, pay your taxes, but these exchanges are dodgy as hell.

Coinbase and Gemini are very reputable, and licensed. I believe Bitstamp is as well. But they don't give you access to that many altcoins.
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 06:56:39 AM

I've been using bittrex and they have never ever mentioned anything about tax.

I personally do not think that they report to the IRS but then they could, and i'm not that familiar with US tax codes. I would assume that it is a DIY process, in which you fill out everything yourself and submit it to your relevant department.

You can always export your trading history and view it, which makes management easier i guess.

erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 06:58:58 AM

Bittrex don't exchange fiat currencies so they have nothing to report except there own business tax returns.
romani245

Activity: 267
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:03:52 AM

Bittrex don't exchange fiat currencies so they have nothing to report except there own business tax returns.

I don't think that's the case. I mean, they don't report to the IRS. But virtually every transaction (including crypto-crypto) is taxable from a capital gains perspective. Just because you don't wire dollars to your bank account doesn't mean you don't technically owe taxes. This is why I prefer not to verify ID at exchanges. Just in case...
erk

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:09:35 AM

I don't think that's the case. I mean, they don't report to the IRS. But virtually every transaction (including crypto-crypto) is taxable from a capital gains perspective. Just because you don't wire dollars to your bank account doesn't mean you don't technically owe taxes. This is why I prefer not to verify ID at exchanges. Just in case...
Show me a law that says Bittrex have to report customers crypto to crypto transactions to the IRS.
I can certainly show you a law that says they would have to report fiat.

pfx

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 06:09:00 AM

If they aren't (currently or not) reporting to the IRS, why are they requiring SSN?
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 06:37:10 AM

Show me a law that says Bittrex have to report customers crypto to crypto transactions to the IRS.
I can certainly show you a law that says they would have to report fiat.

I think the comment was about the tax liabilities of traders/investors, not the burden of tax reporting for Bittrex. Regarding the former, here's the general guidance from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/capital-gains-and-losses-10-helpful-facts-to-know
When you sell a capital asset, the sale normally results in a capital gain or loss. A capital asset includes most property you own for personal use or own as an investment.
Gains and Losses.  A capital gain or loss is the difference between your basis and the amount you get when you sell an asset. Your basis is usually what you paid for the asset.

I actually recently consulted extensively with two tax advisors because I was concerned about reporting correctly. Every asset has a cost basis, assuming it is at least convertible to BTC (liquid), if not USD or similar. The IRS has stated clearly that virtual currency is treated as property for the purposes of taxation. I don't see any way around that.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf
For federal tax purposes, virtual currency is treated as property. General tax principles applicable to property transactions apply to transactions using virtual currency.
The basis of virtual currency that a taxpayer receives as payment for goods or services in Q&A-3 is the fair market value of the virtual currency in U.S. dollars as of the date of receipt.
If the fair market value of property received in exchange for virtual currency exceeds the taxpayer’s adjusted basis of the virtual currency, the taxpayer has taxable gain.

Regarding the reporting requirements for exchanges that serve US customers:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099b.pdf
A broker or barter exchange must file Form 1099-B, Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions, for each person: For whom the broker has sold (including short sales) stocks, commodities, regulated futures contracts, foreign currency contracts (pursuant to a forward contract or regulated futures contract), forward contracts, debt instruments, options, securities futures contracts, etc., for cash; Who received cash, stock, or other property from a corporation that the broker knows or has reason to know has had its stock acquired in an acquisition of control or had a substantial change in capital structure reportable on Form 8806; or Who exchanged property or services through a barter exchange.
A broker is any person who, in the ordinary course of a trade or business, stands ready to effect sales to be made by others. A broker may include a U.S. or foreign person or a governmental unit and any subsidiary agency.

Brokering the exchange of property, by my reading, appears to trigger reporting requirements.

If they aren't (currently or not) reporting to the IRS, why are they requiring SSN?

They are trying to act legitimate for AML/KYC purposes. Don't they only require last 4 of your SSN for a basic account? At least that was the case for new accounts as of several days ago. Poloniex does ask for full SSN now, which is insane. Who would trust these fly-by-night exchanges with such data?!

lonelykid1984

Activity: 35

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 02:11:46 AM

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Could you give a simple guideline for tax report of cryptocurrency? We definitely need to pay tax, and better assume that IRS could somehow know your profits status. Basic information like name/address are more than enough to identify you. My question  is how to deal with crypto to crypto transactions? You never know how much profits you get till one day you sell them all.
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 02:58:35 AM

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Could you give a simple guideline for tax report of cryptocurrency? We definitely need to pay tax, and better assume that IRS could somehow know your profits status. Basic information like name/address are more than enough to identify you. My question  is how to deal with crypto to crypto transactions? You never know how much profits you get till one day you sell them all.

Not a lawyer, so take what I say with a grain of salt. My understanding is that the USD cost basis of your position is used to calculate your gains. So, let's say you bought one BTC at $1000. Later, you traded that for 20 ETH, when the price of BTC was $4000. That means you closed your BTCUSD position with a gain of $3000, then entered a new ETHUSD position at $200.

You may only care about the price against BTC, but the IRS wants to know about your gains in USD. So you need to record the BTCUSD price at the time you trade alts against BTC and vice versa, so you can later calculate the USD capital gains.

pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:05:32 AM

They didnt before. But now with cryptocurrencies becoming more and more popular, it would be safe to say that they will soon. If Bittrex wants to be in the good side of the regulators, they should start doing some KYC procedures on their customers starting now. Get your ID and other documents ready.
MAbtc

Merit: 508

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 07:56:51 AM

They didnt before. But now with cryptocurrencies becoming more and more popular, it would be safe to say that they will soon. If Bittrex wants to be in the good side of the regulators, they should start doing some KYC procedures on their customers starting now. Get your ID and other documents ready.

If so, I hope they do it honorably like Bitstamp did a few years back. They at least gave a month or more notice to users that they would have to pass mandatory verification after a certain date (I think it was ~ end of September, 2013). So users had time to get out if they didn't want to verify.

I'd be comfortable verifying with Bitstamp now (or Coinbase or Gemini), but I wasn't back then. And I wouldn't be comfortable handing over passport or full SSN to Bittrex at this point. I have no idea who they are or what care they take to protect that data...
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 02:10:53 PM

I'd be comfortable verifying with Bitstamp now (or Coinbase or Gemini), but I wasn't back then. And I wouldn't be comfortable handing over passport or full SSN to Bittrex at this point. I have no idea who they are or what care they take to protect that data...

Bitstamp, Coinbase and Gemini are probably the most strictest exchanges in the crypto market with their extremely high standards due to the laws they are subject to. That however doesn't mean that our personal information is safe there by default. I am fully verified at Bitstamp, but some times I still think about who or what has access to this information, how well secured are the servers this information is stored on, etc. It has nothing to do with Bitstamp itself, but more the overall idea of what exchanges are doing to protect our precious information, and who has access to them. Bittrex does however have several verification levels. If you want to get basic verified, you 'just' need to insert textual information such as name and address. You'll then have the ability to trade crypto vs crypto with a daily withdrawal limit of 3BTC. If you want to get enhanced verification, you'll need to submit ID and a selfie. This unlocks basically every feature, and you'll be able to withdraw 100BTC per day.
Apsley

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 08:52:20 PM

What about Gemini? Do they report to IRS?
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 09:19:08 PM

Not that anyone here is aware of, which goes up for basically any exchange. If an exchange up front states that it will report all sorts of user activity (i.e. sensitive information) to the IRS, 90% of the people will avoid it, and rightfully so. I am however of believe that there will be a time exchanges will report to the IRS as being part of the long list of regulations our exchanges are subject to. We can't expect authorities to sit back and look at how people avoid declaring their profits, and that while throughout the years this market has exploded in value. One way or another, something will happen from the side of the authorities to deal with this situation accordingly.
Apsley

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 09:21:36 PM

Good point! Thank you for the answer Smiley
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 09:48:34 PM

No, none of the exchanges do. But the IRS case against Coinbase users leaves us important info to consider. While the original request for all Coinbase user information (including trade activity) over a three year period was deemed a "fishing expedition", the IRS came back as expected with a narrowed request for all users with > $20,000 in activity in any one year. The case is ongoing, but I think we can expect that eventually, a narrowed request will be approved by the courts.

So what I'm saying is, whether or not they send a 1099 to the IRS, you don't want to be caught in one of these IRS nets. They are closely watching the Bitcoin exchanges.

catInsIn

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 11:15:06 PM

So, what happens when bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies become so highly valued that we can't pay enough cash
to cover the taxes? Like, what if I have $20,000 in taxes to pay but I haven't the cash to pay it? But I have it in crypto?

I guess we would have to cash-out some of our bitcoin or other cryptocurrency in order to pay
the tax. And then we'll have to pay tax on that cash-out.

Maybe to keep it simple, the IRS would simply accept bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies for paying taxes.

MtRev

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2018, 10:52:01 PM

I was wondering the same thing

Don't trade alone! Let's Talk Money!
Stocks, Options, Crypto, Forex, Dividends and the Commodities market
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 11:40:30 PM

I was wondering the same thing

AML/KYC regulations. The issue isn't taxation, but money transmission. Chairman of the SEC, Jay Clayton, made that clear in a statement last month:

As I have stated previously, these market participants should treat payments and other transactions made in cryptocurrency as if cash were being handed from one party to the other.

US money transmiters fall under the jurisdiction of the Bank Secrecy Act, which requires KYC. The exact requirements (for example, whether SSN is really required) aren't clear to me. But it seems like Bitcoin exchanges are increasingly seen as "financial institutions":

The BSA requires financial institutions to engage in customer due diligence, or KYC, which is sometimes known in the parlance as know your customer. This includes obtaining satisfactory identification to give assurance that the account is in the customer's true name, and having an understanding of the expected nature and source of the money that flows through the customer's accounts.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: