Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 01:47:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [LTC] Litecoin Core Development Fundraising  (Read 27948 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:00:13 AM

Regarding TradeFortress arguments, i think i am already familiar with the way is thinking (but is not the only one, most of the guys who made good money mining bitcoin have the same attitude): the developers should get nothing, they should "donate" their time to the project to make other people rich, and if is possible they should also invest some of their own money to get the project going. This is the biggest problem of the crypto currency now, but maybe in time, this will issue will be resolved.

That's not my point. My point is that this is a commercial endorsement, by what I believe is one moderator, on a shared space where it is putting other coins in an unfair disadvantage.  

Funding for cryptocurrencies will evolve to businesses funding developers to work on Bitcoin. Same thing with the Linux kernel - most of the commits are from developers employed by companies. That's not a problem. jgarzik is one example, he's employed by Bit-Pay. Fundraisers / donations are not bad however.

My point is that this thread shouldn't be stickied Smiley
GIANNAT
Legendary

Activity: 1038
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin entrepreneur and Pro Trader

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 11:48:02 AM

Regarding TradeFortress arguments, i think i am already familiar with the way is thinking (but is not the only one, most of the guys who made good money mining bitcoin have the same attitude): the developers should get nothing, they should "donate" their time to the project to make other people rich, and if is possible they should also invest some of their own money to get the project going. This is the biggest problem of the crypto currency now, but maybe in time, this will issue will be resolved.

That's not my point. My point is that this is a commercial endorsement, by what I believe is one moderator, on a shared space where it is putting other coins in an unfair disadvantage.  

Funding for cryptocurrencies will evolve to businesses funding developers to work on Bitcoin. Same thing with the Linux kernel - most of the commits are from developers employed by companies. That's not a problem. jgarzik is one example, he's employed by Bit-Pay. Fundraisers / donations are not bad however.

There were other discussion stickied about other coin reguarding important announcement, this is not a LTC privilege.

mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:23:23 PM

your arguments are invalid, you want to know why ? because I say so. just go back to your posts and scroll down and read what you are writing, I think you hate LTC that much that you became confused.

and just do not wine about how you own some LTC because this changes nothing, it is the same like I have a job that I love but a team that I hate, but I make a decent money and this is why I am not complaining about it, it is like BTC/LTC you love BTC but you hate LTC. I went back to look to your posts, you didn't leave a chance without showing your hate for LTC.

Edit: I take back the get out of here, actually you can do/write what ever you want.  
RandyMagnum

Activity: 662
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:27:25 PM

Get a room you guys.

Donated again!
CLains

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:58:18 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2013, 06:15:37 PM by CLains

What people forget is that it is unfair that Litecoin, and all the other major alt currencies with a long history and dedicated community, are not given their own section on the forum, and have to compete with all the sensationalist rubbish that surrounds new coins. As newbs can only post in the newbie section of the forum, I think most new alt currencies should be confined to a "new alt currencies" forum. How to mark the distinction? As with the newb section, this forum seems completely content with arbitrary barriers (4 hours and 4 or so posts before one can post elsewhere).

Core development fundraising is a productive event that focuses on long term enhancement of the alternative cryptocurrencies. It is not spectacular, it is not sensational, it does not automatically draw attention - in fact, it is a rather boring affair. However, it is important because Litecoin has sufficient adherents to contribute a significant sum towards a substantial core development effort. It clearly contributes as research and development that benefits the community as a whole.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:54:19 PM

There were other discussion stickied about other coin reguarding important announcement, this is not a LTC privilege.
This is an commercial advertisement for the current Litecoin devs as well as litecoin. It is not an important announcement or PSA.

The problem here is Litecoin given preferential treatment. Tell me how is this different from a moderator sticking a service. There are people who financially profit (that is not bad alone), at the clear determent of competitors using an unfair advantage decided by one person that hasn't shown up even with a PM.
wizzardTim
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Reality is stranger than fiction

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:02:42 PM

Thank you LTC development team. Donation is coming as soon as I setup my mining rig. Thank you.

Behold the Tangle Mysteries! Dare to know It's truth.

- Excerpt from the IOTA Sacred Texts Vol. I
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:03:35 PM

If you are a litecoin supporter and greed is known for changing your views, replace Litecoin with Sexcoin or whatever. What coin it is or it's popularity has nothing to do with this (otherwise catch 22). It's like how I profited from the BFL bet declared a push but I consider betsofbitcoin a scammer. Your personal motivations needs to be ignored when you are asking if something is fair or not.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:13:37 AM

TradeFortess:

Other ALT coins in recent history have been given stickies in this sub forum for important threads.

So, you're saying Litecoin shouldn't be given the same opportunity because it's unfair? That line of thinking actually sounds quite unfair to Litecoin to me.

I notice that you didn't rage when Terracoin/Feathercoin threads were stickied, but now because it's Litecoin you all the sudden have a problem with it?

Like it or not, Litecoin is the most valuable and widely adopted ALT coin. It deserves a sticky every now and then IMO.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:37:14 AM

With all due respect, do you even have basic reading comprehension?

THIS IS NOT AN IMPORTANT FORK ANNOUNCEMENT. ACTION IS NOT *NEEDED* ON THE PART OF USERS. IT IS A COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENT.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:40:45 AM

THIS IS NOT AN IMPORTANT FORK ANNOUNCEMENT. ACTION IS NOT *NEEDED* ON THE PART OF USERS. IT IS A COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENT.

Action IS needed on the part of users.

Litecoin will die a slow death without further development and innovation, just like Terracoin/Feathercoin would have died if they were 51% attacked.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:42:04 AM

I notice that you didn't rage when Terracoin/Feathercoin threads were stickied, but now because it's Litecoin you all the sudden have a problem with it?

Like it or not, Litecoin is the most valuable and widely adopted ALT coin. It deserves a sticky every now and then IMO.
There was no "fundraising" (this is begging BTW) thread stickied for any alt coin.

Litecoin is not the most valuable alt coin, and just because something is the most popular it does NOT deserve a sticky because of it's popularity. Stickies should be awarded based on importance, and chain forks are not the same as begging.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:45:25 AM

Action IS needed on the part of users.

Litecoin will die a slow death without further development and innovation, just like Terracoin/Feathercoin would have died if they were 51% attacked.
LOL, are you fucking serious? ACTION IS NOT NEEDED ON THE PART OF USERS. Why doesn't all the alt coins get the same treatment? Popularity does not come to this, otherwise it is unfair because this forum is for ALL alt coins, not the most popular ones
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:55:56 AM

There was no "fundraising" (this is begging BTW) thread stickied for any alt coin.

Litecoin is not the most valuable alt coin, and just because something is the most popular it does NOT deserve a sticky because of it's popularity. Stickies should be awarded based on importance, and chain forks are not the same as begging.

Begging is what bums do on the street, they then go buy Booze. Soliciting donations is more of a proper term for what they're doing. The Litecoin development team will improve Litecoin with your donations, which is mutually beneficial to Litecoin and all ALT coins (and then maybe buy some booze afterwards). But, the point is that everyone is actually reaping the benefits of donations, not just one guy that goes and gets drunk.

Why is this mutually beneficial to all ALT coins? Let's face it, Litecoin is the ALT coin golden child. Every new coin is striving to be like Litecoin and imitate the success Litecoin has had. The more successful Litecoin is, the more likely more people are to speculate in other ALT coins, and with deeper pockets too. If Litecoin is successful, it is a gateway to more people getting into the ALT coin community, and developing other coins.

I am trying to explain the same effect Bitcoin had for Litecoin. You think Litecoin would be worth 3$ right now if Bitcoin hadn't gone on a huge surge in value and adoption? Think again. But, it's obvious you're going to argue until you're blue in the face about this so I will just leave you with this:

TradeFortress - "Litecoin is not the most valuable alt coin."

Market Cap in BTC
 Bitcoin   11215025
 Litecoin   420167
 Namecoin   35553
 PPCoin   26357
 NovaCoin   9376
 Terracoin   5747
 Devcoin   5484
 Feathercoin 5078
 Freicoin   4847
 ChinaCoin   2834
 Mincoin   1051
 Ixcoin   825
 BBQCoin   756
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:57:10 AM

Read the above post very carefully, I make a very strong point for this thread being stickied.

It is something ANY ALT coin user should approve of for the reasons I stated in that post alone.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:16:17 AM

Market cap, yes. It is not the most valuable coin because there are coins where 1 unit > Litecoin's price. This discussion is offtopic to the thread however.

Most of your points are because of your love of Litecoin (aka opinion), which under any forum not run by a 13 year old Xbox clan does not stand as a valid argument.

The begging is from a group of developers who have done nothing other than change variable names and merge changes back to LTC. They didn't write scrypt, they didn't implement scrypt, they didn't do anything useful. Litecoin has a valuation, however that valuation like Bitcoin is speculation based rather than usefulness / inventiveness / the benefits to other alt coins.

Why is this mutually beneficial to all ALT coins? Let's face it, Litecoin is the ALT coin golden child.

MtGox is the exchange golden child.

Every new coin is striving to be like Litecoin and imitate the success Litecoin has had.

Every new exchange is striving to imitate the success of Gox.

The more successful Litecoin is, the more likely more people are to speculate in other ALT coins,

This argument is flawed.

So, please explain to me how stickying MtGox as an official endorsement in the Currency Exchange section is beneficial to ALL exchanges, including BTC-e and Bitstamp and blah blah. This is why something being POPULAR is ABSOLUTELY NOT a reason for commercial endorsement by this forum, because it is not fair to other coins.

Remove all names on this subject. Think about it from an abstract and policy level.

"Should the most popular commercial project or service have a sticky for a non-PSA announcement at the determent of other competitors?"

Should BFL be sticked for anything other than important announcements?

Should MtGox be sticked for anything other than important announcements?

Should ASICMINER be stickied for anything other than important announcements?

Should Casascius (brand of coin) be stickied for anything other than important announcements?

Should Litecoin be stickied for anything other than important announcements?

This is not an important announcement. I am happy to express my arguments on this issue, however before we get to that step you need to conclude your current arguments. http://twentytwowords.com/2011/03/15/a-flowchart-to-help-you-determine-if-youre-having-a-rational-discussion/
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:20:25 AM

Actually, my argument is quite sound.

Your rebuttal is flawed in the fact that Mt. Gox is not a decentralized crypto currency and is a private for-profit business.

You are grasping for straws, because I hope you realize my point has validity. If you don't realize that, you are dumb or a troll.. I'll let everyone guess which one..  Wink

Try again.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:28:51 AM

Answer these set of questions:

Should BFL be sticked for anything other than important announcements?

Should MtGox be sticked for anything other than important announcements?

Should ASICMINER be stickied for anything other than important announcements?

Should Casascius (brand of coin) be stickied for anything other than important announcements?

Should P2Pool be sticked for anything other than important announcements?

Should Litecoin Core Developers (a group of central developers seeking PAY) be stickied for anything other than important announcements?

Your answer must be the same for all of the 6 questions, either YES to all or NO to all, otherwise you are letting opinion influence policy. I included the P2Pool example to counter your "decentralization" argument, because development is not done in a decentralized manner in ANY open source project.

The litecoin core dev group is commercial.

While Litecoin is decentralized on the network level, there are a group of people who would benefit from LTC, and a group of people who would not. This is still for profit.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:32:18 AM

1. Will you profit in a financial way if LTCUSD doubles?

A: Yes -> It is for profit.

-----

If you are unwilling to argue on an abstract and policy level compared to a case by case level where your opinions, instead of logic, is used, then I am unwilling to discuss the subject with you.

I usually do not debate people on religion-like issues because it is not a productive use of time, however intelligent people are able to separate their own views from logical thinking and decision making. I am not convinced you are able to do that.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:39:36 AM

You completely disregarded my valid argument with comparisons that do not even portray the situation correctly, and asked me questions in a way that they will get the answer you're looking for. Anyone can do that on any subject to get a certain response they want.

Like I said, you're obviously a troll and I'm not going to sit here and argue with you all night, I've got things to do.

If you can't see why this is good for the ALT coin community after I spelled it out for you in a detailed post, then you are dumb.

Troll on sir..
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: