Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 06:37:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have been mining for the last few winters  (Read 630 times)
truckinusa44 (OP)

Activity: 198
Merit: 170

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:35:35 AM

I would probably mine continuously if I had a place to keep the miners cool.  For the last 3 years I have bought a miner in the fall and sold it at the end of winter.  I basically use it for supplemental heat and a lottery ticket for solo mining.  What type of miner should I invest in?  I lean towards trying to obtain an S9.  Last winter I had a S7.  I sold it for almost the same price I paid.  I am aware that a number of alt coin miners are also available.  My goal is to lose as little as possible when I resell the miner in 4 months.  Where should I obtain the miner and what should I be considering?  I have been keeping my eye out for GPUs, but it doesn't seem like something that is easy to get.  I recently replaced the GPU on my PC and purchased a 1060 3gb model because the price is right.  Apparently it hashes at 15mh with my attempt at mining with it.  I need it to work for my PC so I don't care to mine with that full time.  The deal I got I was only able to get one for $175.  My electric rate in the winter time is 4-5 cents a KW/h.
Aurel577

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 05:29:43 PM

That is cheap electric I pay about double that. I also like the free heat I get in the winter months coming from the miners in the basement.

Unlock my old account please:
Aurel57
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:59:50 PM

Realistically speaking the S7 or any miner of that generation will no longer produce much at all even at the low electrical cost of 4-5c per kw. Difficulty is rising too fast as it is. I'd recommend an S9 at Bitmain prices or some Dash/Litecoin equipment if you are lucky enough to snag one at manufacturer prices.

I hope you are aware of the noise the S9 makes. It's about as loud or more loud than the S7 due to even higher chip density; if that's an issue, the R4 will work.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:54:37 PM

Given you're using it as a heater replacement (effectively free electric), pretty much anything semi-recent should work. S7 again, S9, T9, R4, Avalon 741, etc.

S9//T9 should be right at the same noise level of the S7 you used to have, the rest will be quieter.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: