Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:08:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I the only one who thinks the 0% fee pool servers are scamming?  (Read 413 times)
senseless (OP)

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:27:30 PM

In my mind I'm thinking -- Why would anyone put in all that work and get nothing for it? How many altruists do you really know in your life? Am I really expected to believe that those doing it here are all great people?

Am I the only one who when they see "0% fee" runs for the hills? What do you think?

I've already caught a few pools pulling shady shit (for example, inserting shares to the DB that appear on the graphs but aren't associated with any user). I have a significant amount of hashrate so when I mine on a pool where I'm 80%+ of all hashes.... It's easily noticeable when they start throwing in an extra 20% here and there. No one else on the pool has that level of hashrate and it's well beyond variance.

I think I need to start solo mining again...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
expanse-pool.com

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 08:22:10 PM

I doubt that every pool running at 0% wants to scam ... but I see you point, I guess most of them just want to get higher attention and raise fees later (having gained some solid hashrate pointed to the pool in the meantime).

We just started our pool and we had exactly the same thinking, should we start with 0% to raise attention or not? What about raising it later? How will miners react etc.?!
On the other hand, it is quite hard to start a pool with fees, when you do not have big amounts of hashingpower pointing to your pool.

At the end we decided to come up with 0.75% instead of the often seen 1% ;-)

If you want to give it a try, feel free to point some of your hashingpower towards our pool ... we will be more than happy to have more power "On board" ... and of course we are scam free ;-) (I guess that's what they all tell Cheesy)
teaserX

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 08:56:13 PM

I second this. We plan on a 0.7% fee at aurorapool.net but we are currently charging 0% to attract more miners.
phm87

Activity: 172
Merit: 101

Mining pool operator @ https://www.unimining.net

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 11:34:46 PM

I agree with both replies. Our new YiiMP mining pool offers 0% mining fee as launching offer.

We'd like to offer a future stable low mining fee around 0.5 to 1% max (we will analyse future statistics from the 2 months launch). I think that we have our jobs to pay bills and food but the aim of the mining fee is to have a sustainable pool (and not to earn money). Decentralization is one of the aim of many crypto-currencies : I prefer many small mining pools with small fees than a big mining pool that can impose its fee.

Some coins have a POS part that should be analyzed and parametrized (or a lot of code changes). As a pool owner, I prefer to take the time to analyse coins, install them on my testpool when I have a doubt, mine a block with my GPU's, check payment, memory and CPU use, pool earnings and so on. For example, I finally disabled on my pooltest 2 coins (Honey coin and another one, I don't remember the name) because I was not able to get correct payment of block mined and the coin server was using a lot of hardware ressources (POS part). Learning and testing takes time but crypto-currency is a passion for me and I cannot imagine to gain any money with a passion.

You're not new to crypto so I won't discuss about all the possibilities to have many GPU and bad payments (wrong miner for pool/stratum, wrong config, stale shares, invalid shares: erk).

⚠️🚀 https://www.unimining.net 🚀⚠️ Low fee, multi algo pool | 2 hr payout | No registration required. ⚠️🚀 https://www.unimining.net 🚀⚠️
bapparabi

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 03:42:04 AM

the only thing is what people charge 0% pool fee because to attach new miner to there pool once they have good amount of miner they can increase there pool fee by saying that they need  to maintain sever so for server maintenance pool fee is increase .. As 0% fee is mena the pool owener has to bear all cost from there pocket till they increase .

So 0% pool is marketing geminc to get more miner  nothing else or this is not scam at all
Boriss

Activity: 728
Merit: 115

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 08:44:05 AM

the only thing is what people charge 0% pool fee because to attach new miner to there pool once they have good amount of miner they can increase there pool fee by saying that they need  to maintain sever so for server maintenance pool fee is increase .. As 0% fee is mena the pool owener has to bear all cost from there pocket till they increase .

So 0% pool is marketing geminc to get more miner  nothing else or this is not scam at all

I agree with you, it is just marketing to get new miners on board
coinfoundry

Activity: 292
Merit: 100

Miningcore

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 11:40:31 AM

In my mind I'm thinking -- Why would anyone put in all that work and get nothing for it? How many altruists do you really know in your life? Am I really expected to believe that those doing it here are all great people?

Am I the only one who when they see "0% fee" runs for the hills? What do you think?

I can't speak for the other pool operators of course. At least in my case it's simply a method to make my relatively young pool more attractive to new and established miners. I don't care about quick profits, I'm in for the long run.

Miningcore.pro - Stress-Free, Reliable Crypto Mining. Period.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: