Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:52:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Users Should Use Linux Not Windows  (Read 821 times)
globe-biz (OP)

Activity: 162
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:27:54 PM

I recommend that all new users to bitcoin or people who just want to keep their coins safe us linux and not windows.Unless you use windows on a fresh formated computer and then never install anything else onto that computer, Linux does not have all the spyware that window computers have especially windows 10 which has over 100 forms of spyware on it from the factory, as the satnists build their police state to prepare their New World Order they are only trying to enslave and spy on us all.You could be hacked easy if you use windows to store your coins because viruses that do the spying to steal your password are written for windows computers.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 07:30:52 PM

Just use a hardware wallet.

lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:36:05 PM

Not only bitcoin users but everyone should start using linux. Wink  i've ditched windows long ago. i have ubuntu installed currently, but people can choose from various linux flavors(ubuntu is recommended though).
100bitcoin

Activity: 860
Merit: 423

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 07:37:11 PM

Not only bitcoin users but everyone should start using linux. Wink  i've ditched windows long ago. i have ubuntu installed currently, people can choose from various linux flavors(ubuntu is recommended though).

Does any Linux flavor run on Mac?

lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:41:57 PM

Not only bitcoin users but everyone should start using linux. Wink  i've ditched windows long ago. i have ubuntu installed currently, people can choose from various linux flavors(ubuntu is recommended though).

Does any Linux flavor run on Mac?
Yes, you can run/install ubuntu or any other flavors on mac. google it, how to install ubuntu/linux on mac.
JanpriX

Activity: 1708
Merit: 606

Buy The F*cking Dip

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:42:26 PM

Don't get me wrong in what I'm gonna say as your suggestion is good enough in your own terms but the problem with what you stated above is that most of the people that uses computer don't know how to navigate/use Linux. It would just add to the learning process of ordinary people when getting familiar with BTC. My suggestion is to use hardware wallet if you want to have the security that will protect your coins. It is an added expense but it is worth it to invest in such wallets for peace of mind.
aplistir

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:43:36 PM

Really depends on how much Bitcoins you have.
If you have a lot, you should be really careful, and use super secure system.

However, if you have just a few dollars in Bitcoin, then it really does not matter how you store & use them.

My Address: 121f7zb2U4g9iM4MiJTDhEzqeZGHzq5wLh
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:49:05 PM

I detest Linux and don't care what anyone else thinks. I've downloaded multiple versions and loathed every single one of them.

When it comes to crypto use a hardware or paper wallet. For crypto related computer needs I use a Windows machine that'll never see the internet again.
Cult

Activity: 479
Merit: 100

Enter the future of gaming

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 08:55:34 PM

I detest Linux and don't care what anyone else thinks. I've downloaded multiple versions and loathed every single one of them.

When it comes to crypto use a hardware or paper wallet. For crypto related computer needs I use a Windows machine that'll never see the internet again.

Linux isn't for everyone just like bitcoin isn't for everyone, it's hard to do open source specially if you first started using proprietary systems.

When people get used with linux, windows is the difficult system to work with, it's slow, it requires third party software to protect against malware, easy to exploit, requires a lot of steps to install new software, well, it sucks. Cheesy

RedCatMetaverse   
    ●  Play Learn and Earn blockchain game  ●   
Instagram  ◣ Discord  ◣Twitter  ◣Reddit
Temptaz

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:58:25 PM

Whats the issue? lack of GUI or have you tried UBUNTU also and dislike it as well?

Just genuinely curious I haven't used linux much
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:03:49 PM

Whats the issue? lack of GUI or have you tried UBUNTU also and dislike it as well?

Just genuinely curious I haven't used linux much

I've tried plenty of different versions. The command line crap is enough to make me toss my cookies. I could never get the trackpad to work on the machines I tried it with either and one version updated to become completely unusable. All of the 'Windows beating' programs I used were shit, and the ones I use most have no equivalent.

As anything vital when it comes to crypto is offline, I'm not going to waste brain space learning something I never liked in the first place.
ayeshajum07

Activity: 61

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:18:17 PM

I don't think that most newbie to intermediate level users will even consider using Linux for the sake of keeping their coins safer.
It is not even true that Linux will give you absolute certainty and save your coins.
The fact is - there are less malware software, viruses and ransomware on Linux but this OS is not the holy grail of security or anything.
You will be maybe safer but with proper precautions, Windows can be safe just backup your damn wallet and keep it safe!

Total securities on computers or IOT is far from reality. it wasn't exist on these days.

Is was a dream even for those enterprise companies.

We can say Windows  system was more vulnerable than Linux.

globe-biz (OP)

Activity: 162

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 10:09:00 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2017, 06:23:25 PM by globe-biz

There are many version of linux that have nothing to do with the command line they are just like windows usability.Actually they run faster and smooth because they do not have the high memory use that windows has and less spyware like the joke windows 10
Ubuntu
Linux Mint
probably a little more clean and less corporate = Kali linux

I used to not know linux but it is not hard to learn it, just have to have the desire to change and learn and now is the time because windows is only getting worse in privacy and altcoins are growing in use
undeadbitcoiner

Activity: 896
Merit: 272

Undeadbitcoiner Will not DIE until 1BTC=50K

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 10:17:02 PM

We can keep our coin safe in Windows also (My Own View) I use windows and I have all my wallet in windows in this 7-8 years period I dont have any problem. But i do still suggest keep in your Mobile, Laptop or Exchange what you can loose if you cant loose then either Keep Hardware or Paper Wallet.

kyceblck

Activity: 96

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 10:21:26 PM

Having a hardware wallet keeps bitcoin safer
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 10:22:47 PM

Lol, linux or windows is similar to the same and that's not what will stop the hackers! Opt for a hardware if you are looking for security and not for some inexplicable operating system and fallible ...
And then good, why have to choose between windows and linux, when you can simply be on mac  Roll Eyes
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 10:25:11 PM

Spot on. The primary issue is hot vs. cold storage, not Linux vs. Windows. I also personally hate all versions of Linux I've tried, and Ubuntu as well. Simply horrible UX. Fair enough, I'm not a programmer, and I prefer an OS that works seamlessly without constantly needing to use command line functions.

It's so silly to expect Bitcoin to go mainstream, while also expecting bitcoiners to use Linux. Linux will always be a small niche. If it became as popular as Windows, you can be damn sure there would be much more malware targeting it.

Windows is perfectly fine. For long term storage, use an air-gapped PC that never, ever connects to the internet. Generate a new wallet on the cold machine, sign transactions on that machine and broadcast them from a "hot" machine. You should never be storing much on an internet-connected machine.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:10:37 PM

I knew this already and many are suggesting linux instead of windows. But I'll stay for now in windows the laptop that I'm using before is now my hardware wallet with electrum on it. And I'm only connecting it to internet just for synchronizing. Actually, it depends on the user if he isn't visiting any site that contains these malicious spywares, you are safe. Just be a responsible surfer and you'll be fine.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
tauceramica

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:17:55 PM

I recommend that all new users to bitcoin or people who just want to keep their coins safe us linux and not windows.Unless you use windows on a fresh formated computer and then never install anything else onto that computer, Linux does not have all the spyware that window computers have especially windows 10 which has over 100 forms of spyware on it from the factory, as the satnists build their police state to prepare their New World Order they are only trying to enslave and spy on us all.You could be hacked easy if you use windows to store your coins because viruses that do the spying to steal your password are written for windows computers.

Your arguments looks valid, but none of us are able to use linux. It's very strange to us and we're not familiar with it. But 99.9% of the community, especially blockhain community is very familiar with windows.

That's why, windoes will keep dominating here.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 11:21:07 PM

I don't believe it is necessary to use Linux if you also want to use Bitcoin.
I mean, if you're dealing with really big amounts, then you can just use a safely generated paper wallet and keep your coins on that.

For your day to day use, you just have to exercise due diligence and be careful. You're much more likely to get scammed by a person than by malware.
Don't open any apps from untrusted sources, have a malware scanner.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: