Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:28:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on low power cards  (Read 516 times)
Sileni (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 07:57:27 PM

Hi,

I have a handful of 7870's and a 760TI, 2gb each, wired up to an old computer that's running Arch Linux atm. It's a bit of a shoddy setup, but I don't care about the power usage, I just want to see what I can mine with it.

Any suggestions for coin targets? Any chance of this system actually turning a respectable amount of coins out, given that I don't pay for power?
DarrenJC

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:21:36 PM

Hi,

I have a handful of 7870's and a 760TI, 2gb each, wired up to an old computer that's running Arch Linux atm. It's a bit of a shoddy setup, but I don't care about the power usage, I just want to see what I can mine with it.

Any suggestions for coin targets? Any chance of this system actually turning a respectable amount of coins out, given that I don't pay for power?

If i was you... head over to NiceHash and see what the NiceHash miner will give you.

Single GPU Miner - Zotac GTX1070 8GB Mini
Still early days, aiming bigger in time
userwithaname

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 08:32:24 PM

I'm guessing by a handful you have <10 GPUs. With those cards you're looking at a setup primarily for educational purposes & enjoyment.

If you're not paying for power, expect to profit <$100/month. Since you can't mine ETH with 2GB cards, go for lesser known alt coins. Specifically which ones really depends on your preference since prices fluctuate so much, or you can try whattomine.com.
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:31:57 PM

Well.. You can use 2 Gb cards for mining some coins on Eth hash algorithem (Ubiq, Expanse, MusicCoin) or you can try Equihash algorithm (Zec, Zclassic, Hush). I don't know if you can use those cards for mining Skunk Algorithm, but you can give it a shoot, and tell us Wink)

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
Sileni (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:46:41 PM

So far the rig is giving me an average of .00011 btc per day, according to nicehash. It's mostly spent it's time running the lyra2rev2 algorithm at 11.5 MH/s. No clue what coin it's mining because, well, nicehash.

If I was paying for the power this would be ridiculous, for now I suppose it will be a learning rig that I'm not afraid of setting on fire.

Thanks guys!
Jackblow33

Activity: 48

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 10:53:44 PM

.00011 btc so a big: .51 U$. I guess within 100 years might be worth 100$.  Well u gonna have to pay to not learn how to mine using NiceHash. Maybe just 1 decent gpu with ddr x 3gb+ might be a good investment to learn, so gonna be able to mine anything with any mining softwares. Mining is a pricey hobby even with free parents electricity. My 2 cents. ;-)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 12:22:56 AM

HD 7870 are fairly good ZEC mining cards, 160 sol/s ballpark with reasonable overclocks.

Never had an NVidia 7xx series cards, no clue there.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Ultegra134

Activity: 1568
Merit: 755

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 01:06:40 AM

As long as you are not paying for electricity yourself, it's worth it, provided that you have no other use of these GPUs (Gaming for example). Although, you won't make much money off them, as you said it's 0.00011 BTC, you might end up making more by selling them.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x