Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:49:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: First please read post #1 and then vote what you think about adding 'Autosave' feature
Yes, please add it! - 2 (66.7%)
No, I don't need it - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please add a feature to autosave drafts  (Read 941 times)
beezle (OP)

Activity: 118
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 02:06:19 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2017, 04:39:02 AM by beezle

Please consider adding an "autosave" feature that saves what I type automatically in the background.

I want to be able to resume a post right where I left off, as though nothing happened.
When I revisit the topic and click reply, my saved post should magically be right there, ready for me to continue typing.

Drafts are great but not the same as autosave. The two features are completely seperate and independant from each other, from a user's perspective,

Other forums have this feature and it's quite nice.
One example is at https://uberpeople.net/threads/cryptocurrency-trading.179499/#post-2671205.

As a test try this:

1. Open a new tab and register/login to the site I linked and begin a new reply in any topic... and type a few sentences.
2. Open another new tab and begin a new reply to this topic on bitcointalk.org... and type a few sentences.
3. Force-close all browser windows/tabs using Task Manager.
4. Visit the same topic on each site and begin a new reply.

Results:

On bitcointalk.org you will notice that the sentences you had typed are gone. Also it did not save any drafts.
The site I linked to has an autosave feature. If you go to the same topic and begin a new post you should see the sentences you typed earlier. Like magic.

Thank you

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2949

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 10:01:43 PM

The forum has a drafts sections, you can access it by using this link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=drafts
A draft should also be saved before (most) errors you might get when posting or sending a PM.

beezle (OP)

Activity: 118
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:55:09 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2017, 04:46:13 AM by beezle

I editted my feature request in the first post. And this family anecdote from God may be relevant:

Jesus and Satan have a discussion as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they come to an agreement to hold a contest, with God as the judge.

They sit themselves at their computers and begin. They type furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for several hours straight. Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over.

He asks Satan to show what he has come up with. Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out."

"Very well, then," says God, "let us see if Jesus fared any better."

Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers. Satan is astonished.

He stutters, "B-b-but how? I lost everything, yet Jesus' program is intact. How did he do it?"

God smiled all-knowingly, "Jesus saves."

Autosave is for the rest of us...  

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: