Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:46:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the value of an alt coin or ICO for a not-for-profit?  (Read 287 times)
gabecolors (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 10:21:40 PM

Has anyone got any examples of .ORGs creating a currency?

I imagine it being used by research institutions with a promise of an outcome that would be valuable to those initially investing.
Let's say a research institution wanted to populate a database of animals going extinct.
Those interested in investing are more interested in the general good of the outcome.
Not as much in the exact definition of the value of the coin.

How could not-for-profits benefit from creating an alt coin?
frumjanet

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 10:34:18 PM

From the non-profit world, very interested in the same question.

I've seen some with lofty goals... but who is holding them to this? All seem like new organizations. Wonder if there are examples of established orgs fundraising this way
injoin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 05:37:42 AM

Has anyone got any examples of .ORGs creating a currency?

I imagine it being used by research institutions with a promise of an outcome that would be valuable to those initially investing.
Let's say a research institution wanted to populate a database of animals going extinct.
Those interested in investing are more interested in the general good of the outcome.
Not as much in the exact definition of the value of the coin.

How could not-for-profits benefit from creating an alt coin?

“Profit base” is the limit for the profit based altcoins. However, ‘not-for-profit’ coins overcome the limits. Bitcoin did not promise a profit, but many people have made benefits.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: