Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:16:49 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why don't ICO's use Coinbase or similar services for payments?  (Read 841 times)
SurfnTurf (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 11:50:23 PM

Can one of you tech savvy guys tell me why ICO's don't use services like Coinbase to accept funds for their ICO's?

I see in my account where I could add a shopping cart to my website to take payments in many different coins (the same way I would add a Paypal cart) and that takes about 5 minutes.  Why don't these guys just use one of these services and they could accept just about any coin?

Does it have to do with the audit process? (i.e. wallet numbers are not the same with a service?)

I am new at this so please go easy on me  Wink
xdev

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:05:05 AM

I guess main reason is loss of control over the currency and the account the currency is placed on.

I would assume that ICO startups use the currency to find investors by saying that we have this and that amount of virtual currency on our account valued at xxx millions of USD which can be used as a guarantee that the investor will receive a return of investment.

But of course allowing Coinbase or any regulated exchange to carry the money would certainly add more trust to the ICO campaings
subG

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:35:17 AM

Coinbase has some very small withdrawal limits.  It also takes a long time to get an account verified in order to increase your limits.  ICO's raises millions of dollars and it would take them forever to withdrawal the funds if they needed it immediately.  I think that is one of the main reasons why Coinbase isn't used. 
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:37:25 AM

No one will ever use Coinbase or something similar to host ICO's, because ICO's have been working fine without them. Not to mention, Coinbase has the SEC right up their bums, and i doubt some of these shady motherfuckers in digital currencies would ever want anything to do with them.

Who remembers Moolah? good times
dealung

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 02:14:02 AM

Can one of you tech savvy guys tell me why ICO's don't use services like Coinbase to accept funds for their ICO's?

I see in my account where I could add a shopping cart to my website to take payments in many different coins (the same way I would add a Paypal cart) and that takes about 5 minutes.  Why don't these guys just use one of these services and they could accept just about any coin?

Does it have to do with the audit process? (i.e. wallet numbers are not the same with a service?)

I think the vision and mission of the coinbase is just for the exchange. Coinbase comes from usa and if i am not mistaken the regulation of usa country also forbids its citizens to join in ico.
PokerDiceMan

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 02:39:24 AM

coinbase not support ico , because coinbase real company from USA, and USA with SEC not support ico project
exchanger support ico selling, sample livecoin and c-cex

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
romani245

Activity: 267
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 02:49:30 AM

Using Coinbase in this context would sacrifice all the financial power that ICOs provide. Their utility is sidestepping the legacy banking and investment sector, removing friction between investors and project developers.

Coinbase is tightly regulated. That means the money could be restricted (frozen, subject to withdrawal limits), since it is under control of a third party. They also might run afoul of the SEC if used to crowdfund for unregistered securities.
13abyknight

Merit: 252

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:19:35 AM

Why would ICOs even think about implementing something like that? Coinbase is known to be a pain in the ass in many ways and they show no intentions of changing anything. Firstly, getting your account verified is a tedious task by itself and requires lots of patience. Secondly, funds from gambling sites don't show up and they are 'confiscated' by Coinbase, not to mention some gambling sites have ICOs going on.
SurfnTurf (OP)

Activity: 18

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:20:56 AM

Thanks.  Got it  Grin  So it's just about regulations?  Are the wallets/addresses still shown the same as if I made a direct transfer?  For example, if you and I made a transfer I would see your address... if you sent to/from Coinbase do I still see your address?  I have never made a transaction yet so I don't really understand this stuff yet.

Coinbase is just what I have but what about others like Coinpayments or are they all the same?

Thanks again for the help  Smiley
Hui8

Merit: 259

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:36:33 AM

ICO are projects which are based on the "Smart contracts" and ethereum is the easiest way to work with it. In addition to that they use only "ERC20 standard" supported wallets and fir which most of the wallets are not compliant with.

Only few which provide this kinda standard which is purely ethereum based are the only one gets selected. The transaction is easier and trackable for the fund raiser and they can send the tokens easily back to destination address because of that traceability.
CoinCollector006

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:05:34 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2017, 04:23:06 AM by CoinCollector006

Hello SurfnTurf! The issue is that Coinbase is designed for retail investors, convenience and ease of use. Coinbase holds the private keys of the tokens on their site rather than the investor. As Coinbase is currently set up investors may not receive ERC-20 tokens that are issued in ICOs.

In fact many ICOs will have a strong disclaimer not to send in funds for an ICO from Coinbase otherwise there is risk of capital loss. As a best practice professional investors should control the private keys of their ETH and BTC holdings. Ownership of the private keys gives an investor maximum flexibility in the event of blockchain forks or other events which may affect the value of the crypto currency.

For Ethereum, I can recommend the www.myetherwallet.com wallet if an investor wishes to transact in ICOs. Promoters of ICOs are well aware of Coinbase's limitations and for this reason will shy away from using Coinbase in their ICOs either for distribution or receipt of funds.  

░▓██████████████░
    ░▒██            ▒██▒░         ▓█████▓                               ░█████▒               ███                   
█████▓░     ██████░   ▒▓████      ██░░░▓█▓                             ▒███▒▓███              ███                     
██        █▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒    ██     ▒█▓    ██                             ███   ▒██▒                                 
▓█      ░█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█░  █▓     ▓█▒   ▒█▓  ░████▓    █████   ░█████▓  ██▓    ██▓  ███████▓   ▓██   ▒█████▓   ███████▓
░█░    ░█▓▒▒░░░░░▒ ░▒██  ░█░     ██    ██░  ██  ▓█▒  ██░ ▒█▓  ▓█▓  ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███▒ ▓███  ███  ▒██▓ ▒██▒  ███▒ ▓███
 ██    ██▒░░░▒▒ ░░▒▒▓█▒  ██     ▒█▓    ██  ██   ▒█▒ ▓█░   █▓  ██   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███   ███
 ▒█░ ░▒█▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ░█▒     ▓█░   ▒█▓  ███████  ███████░ ░█▓   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
  ██ ░██▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒░░░█░ ██      ██    ██░ ▒█▓░▒░░  ░█▓░▒░░░  ▓█░  ▒█▒  ██▓    ██▓  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
   ██  █▓██▓▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓█▒ ██      ▒█▓   ░██  ██       ▓█░       ██   ██   ███   ▒██▒  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███  ░███
    ██    ▒▓███████▓  ██       ██▒  ▒██   ██  ░██  ▓█░  ██░ ░██  ▓█▓   ▓██▓▒▒███   ███  ░███  ███  ░██▓░▓██▒  ███  ░███
     ██░       ░    ░██        ██████▓    ▒█████   ░█████░  ▓█████▓     ▒█████▓    ███  ░███  ███   ▒█████▒   ███  ░███
      ▒██          ██▒                                      ██                                                   
        ▒██░     ▓██                                       ▒█▓                                                         
          ▓██░ ▓██░                                        ██░                                                         
            ▒██▓
Tor Integrated & Secured
blockchainmarketus

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:30:27 AM

Smart COntract eth dominate the ICO that;s why most ICOs accept eth payment. WIth eth smart contract, the developers can set the payment automatically. When the ICos don't meet the soft cap the fund will be return automatically too. Where as payment using bitcoin is usually for new coin with it's own blockchain like ATB coin. ATB coin receive BTC,ETH and LTC as the payment.
Immakillya

Activity: 560
Merit: 269

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:37:16 AM

Coinbase has some very small withdrawal limits.  It also takes a long time to get an account verified in order to increase your limits.  ICO's raises millions of dollars and it would take them forever to withdrawal the funds if they needed it immediately.  I think that is one of the main reasons why Coinbase isn't used. 
You are right with that. Coinbase has a small withdraw limit. ICOs is a lot of money. It's not about hundreds or thousands. It's millions. Also they are regulated. I don't think it's ideal for ICOs to use them or any web wallet. Besides, you are not fully in control with funds.  Unlike the traditional, no limit and it's instant. I saw some ICOs are using escrows which adds protection for investors against scamming which is a good thing. But right now, smart contract take place. Many ICOs are just popping out of nowhere. So better make deeper research first before jumping.
allycn

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:10:34 AM

That would make my life so much easier. One of the main reasons I have hesitated to invest in an ICO (and have ended up not investing) is because of the "inconvenience" of opening a new wallet for a different type of currency or dealing with exchanges.
I guess if it was an ICO I was really interested in I would have just dealt with it, but it would be nice if it was simpler.
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:58:18 AM

That would make my life so much easier. One of the main reasons I have hesitated to invest in an ICO (and have ended up not investing) is because of the "inconvenience" of opening a new wallet for a different type of currency or dealing with exchanges.
I guess if it was an ICO I was really interested in I would have just dealt with it, but it would be nice if it was simpler.
there's always an easy way if you really like to take the risk or you just can wait for the coin being listed inside any exchange before claiming your coin
from the dev, but your point also been consider by some people who are not willing to take sometime waiting for the results of an ico project.
n4poleon

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 07:49:10 AM

besides that coinbase sucks. At the first place why would you want to use a service that you have no control over your money. Basically what's happening is you're asking coinbase's permission to move your funds over. It's kinda ironic.
BogdanGFTP

Activity: 504
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 08:09:45 AM

It's cheaper to write smart-contract on ETH then use that services
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 09:33:00 AM

No one will ever use Coinbase or something similar to host ICO's, because ICO's have been working fine without them. Not to mention, Coinbase has the SEC right up their bums, and i doubt some of these shady motherfuckers in digital currencies would ever want anything to do with them.

This. Coinbase also has the IRS demanding to see all their member accounts (they've successfully resisted, but for how long?).

Lots of the ICO operators are shady and don't want teh scruitiny an account with coinbase would bring.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
kolap

Activity: 301
Merit: 250

In Crypto We Trust

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 09:45:46 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2017, 09:59:32 AM by kolap

I see in my account where I could add a shopping cart to my website to take payments in many different coins (the same way I would add a Paypal cart) and that takes about 5 minutes.  Why don't these guys just use one of these services and they could accept just about any coin?

I am new at this so please go easy on me  Wink

One word, dispute.
I sold some coins using Ebay/Paypal after they received my coins they file dispute, no tracking information in crypto.
This would also go the same as merchant/card proccessing payment, the moment they received the ICO coins they will call for charge back.
No card processing act as middle man accepting payment at this point for crypto. Coinbase is middle man exchange, slower, need to verify some information before one can make purchase/sell.

Didcotam

Activity: 27

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 09:48:16 AM

That is right. Also Coinbase as a regulated exchange, not allowed to do IPO or ICO.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: