Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:38:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: if i have 16gb System Ram, do i still need 16gb pagefile  (Read 585 times)
speedyb (OP)

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:51:57 AM

title says it all wonderin if i need all that page file as i have 16gb of ram. also should i put page on hard drive or nvme m.2 ssd
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:19:12 AM

If you have 16gb system ram then you don't need pagefile. Set pagefile to 800mb.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:31:40 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2017, 01:43:36 AM by toptek

make sure the page file is on some how either set it to auto or manual if you turn it off with 2 or more GPU's and try to mine, you might get out of memory errors an then the PC stops mining , the main thing is it's on some how, i found out the hard way with 4 gpu rigs. ... with !6gb to 32 gb of memory with windows 10 pro....once i turned the page file back on the out of memory errors i was getting stopped. ... setting it manually works to.

It seems windows needs it on if your mining. after I got the errors i went on line an found a nice write up on why it should be left on .... i used to keep it off, on my 32 gb boxes till i started GPU mining.

sorry don't have that blog bookmarked or i would link it.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 02:12:16 AM

make sure the page file is on some how either set it to auto or manual if you turn it off with 2 or more GPU's and try to mine, you might get out of memory errors an then the PC stops mining , the main thing is it's on some how, i found out the hard way with 4 gpu rigs. ... with !6gb to 32 gb of memory with windows 10 pro....once i turned the page file back on the out of memory errors i was getting stopped. ... setting it manually works to.

It seems windows needs it on if your mining. after I got the errors i went on line an found a nice write up on why it should be left on .... i used to keep it off, on my 32 gb boxes till i started GPU mining.

You know what you are saying makes no sense right? your memory modules were likely defective and it needed another thing which was not defective. Pagefile is the last thing called to be in use for any program, as long as you have lots of memory then your pagefile even if set will never be used.

joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 02:43:49 AM

You know what you are saying makes no sense right? your memory modules were likely defective and it needed another thing which was not defective. Pagefile is the last thing called to be in use for any program, as long as you have lots of memory then your pagefile even if set will never be used.

It does make sense. Turning on the pagefile solved his problem, it wasn't defective memory. More GPUs require more virtual mem.

Add up all the mem on your GPUs and make sure your virtual mem (ram+pagefile) is bigger.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:57:05 AM

It does make sense. Turning on the pagefile solved his problem, it wasn't defective memory. More GPUs require more virtual mem.

Add up all the mem on your GPUs and make sure your virtual mem (ram+pagefile) is bigger.

Let me clear this thing for you, windows takes all the physical memory first and if there is no more then takes from pagefile. So he clearly had a defective module on which was causing the problem cause if he had not then the system would work perfectly cause that is just how memory on windows work.

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 04:14:21 AM

Let me clear this thing for you, windows takes all the physical memory first and if there is no more then takes from pagefile. So he clearly had a defective module on which was causing the problem cause if he had not then the system would work perfectly cause that is just how memory on windows work.

Regardless of the relationship between graphics RAM and the pagefile size, suggesting that Windows uses all the physical memory before even touching the pagefile is incorrect.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Dlugina23

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:33:26 AM

My Windows telling me no.
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:54:49 AM

You're way off base. First a defective memory module will crash the system the first time it's accessed unless it's completely
invisible and appears to be an empty slot.

Second, how pagefile (aka swap) works is beside the point. The point is more GPUs require more VM and if the requirements
are more than the avaiable RAM it needs to use the pagefile.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:48:12 AM

You're way off base. First a defective memory module will crash the system the first time it's accessed unless it's completely
invisible and appears to be an empty slot.

Have you ever ran a memory error test? I guess not cause if you did you would not telling me this.

Second, how pagefile (aka swap) works is beside the point. The point is more GPUs require more VM and if the requirements
are more than the avaiable RAM it needs to use the pagefile.

More GPU's requires more memory ram not virtual memory, virtual memory is only required when all available physical memory are all used. Virtual memory is your ssd,hard drive. or anything that can be used as a space allocation.

I'm not going to waste my time on you trolls. You trolls better read up this.

Virtual memory is simulated memory that is written to a file on the hard drive. That file is often called page file or swap file. It's used by operating systems to simulate physical RAM by using hard disk space. ... If we don't have enough memory, we can't run applications.

http://www.utilizewindows.com/what-is-virtual-memory-and-why-do-we-need-it/

crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 08:25:53 AM

Not sure I agree with that.  I have a rig with 6x 1080Ti.  So that's 6 x 11GB = 66GB.

That machine has 16GB of RAM and 16GB of virtual mem, for a total of 32GB.

Why would you want to have as much ram+pagefile as your have GPU ram?  I mean, it's not like all the data in GPU ram needs to be copied into your CPU memory space...
Bimmber

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 02:52:55 PM

Why would you want to have as much ram+pagefile as your have GPU ram?  I mean, it's not like all the data in GPU ram needs to be copied into your CPU memory space...

Same question from me.

Somebody said your virtual ram should be same amount of all gpu`s combined. So if you have 5 x 1080ti with 11 gb memory, your virtual file should be set to 55GB.

Where is the truth?  Huh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: