Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:33:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ AlloyCoin - Crypto With A Price Floor - Critique Our Paper ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁  (Read 1236 times)
AlloyReserve (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 04:36:38 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2017, 08:29:48 PM by AlloyReserve

AlloyCoin is a cryptocurrency with a price floor.

Our white paper was recently uploaded to our website: http://alloycoin.com - and we invite you to critique it!

If you have experience reviewing white/research papers, your feedback would be much appreciated! If you point out something big, we might even send you some AlloyCoins as a way of saying thank you!

If you have questions, you can also ask our team:
support@alloycoin.com

We look forward to your feedback!
Alloy Reserve
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/AlloyReserve/
hurr1cane

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:41:38 AM

hi, can we mine this gpu/cpu
alamin99

Activity: 1078
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 05:24:16 AM

Interesting! But you should post some information here!
PotatoPants

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 06:01:11 AM

Hello

Thanks for publishing the White Paper, and being open to input from the community.

I only had a quick read through, however some thoughts in no particular order;

1) I like the idea of "disrupting" the traditional interpretation of Crypto Currency.  With that in mind however, perhaps this presents an opportunity to redefine even the Whitepaper process. I appreciate that you want to stay within the boundaries of what is expected when launching a coin, however I can't help but think that the idea of what a whitepaper represents has started to become corrupted. Put simply, I'd love it if you could show me the technical design in the WhitePaper, but give me evidence of Business Validity with other documents.

2) As an example of my point above. You explore Risk a little in Section 5 (preventing reserve failure), however a technical whitepaper really isn't the place for this sort of discussion. It's great that there is some consideration of risk, however you really haven't gone far enough, or presented your risks thoroughly enough. As part of your disruption strategy, I'd love to see a risk matrix, a risk plan, treatment, and even the honest and upfront understanding that your project may completely fail. For example  how about some exploration or modelling of expectations if/when your coin gets pumped and dumped by a third party? Showing me that you've considered the risks involved in launching a crypto currency will give you a much stronger foundation should things not go according to plan later when the coin is launched.

3) I'll only briefly mention reference formating. I suggest you use a academic standard such as APA (I think it's even built into Word these days). This will help you with Point 4.

4) Have a look at your overall formatting. Ideally don't split lines mid sentance across pages. Coupled with your references on every page, it makes the paper hard to read.  As per point 3, don't mix your references with your internal sub-notes. Also, number your pages please, so I can refer to specific pages when trying to review (or when someone asks for an explaination)

5) Financial Process wise, (and I may be paraphrasing or not understanding completely), I read it as there will be a Reserve Bank for Alloycoin, where you will basically try manipulate the price based on a predetermined set of rules. For the example of flash crashes, this seems to make some sense (until the Reserve runs out of coin or assets). From a business integrity veiwpoint, it gets a bit muddy, and I'm not sure how your going to "sell" this to people without the word "scam" getting thrown around, much less get this contractually sound.  Obviously, you need a lot more exploration of this, and a lot more governance than the Paper shows at this point of time. Just as an example, the Reserve will hold a subset of other currency, however I'm not sure how you are going to model the highly variable nature of these currencies against Alloy coin, much less present your buy back in a concise legal document.

I probably went a little deeper into my opinions than really needed (sorry) and have about a million other thoughts, so I might leave it as 5 points for now. What I can say however, is that I like the thought process so far. It's a refreshing change from the number of meme coins and dubious looking scams we get here on the forum. Good luck with the project. Zap me a PM if you do want to discuss more Smiley

AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 11:38:05 PM

hi, can we mine this gpu/cpu

Hi Hurr1cane,

Thanks for posting! Currently Alloy Reserve hasn't opened up mining of the cryptocurrency since part of our equation to determine the price floor or "baseprice" factors into account the number of circulating coins. When that grows faster than our assets, the baseprice (price floor) drops  which isn't an ideal situation before we launch our ICO.

However, we will open up a limited pre-mining period to build our community before we launch. This will be sometime in summer of 2018!

Let me know if you have any questions!
support@alloycoin.com

Alloy Reserve
http://alloycoin.com
AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 11:57:14 PM

Interesting! But you should post some information here!

Hi Alamin99,

Thanks for your suggestion! That's a great idea and I think Alloy Reserve will upload some more specific details about our implementation. Alloy Reserve just got a "patent pending" status on our blockchain management system so being more detailed is now possible!

We'll upload a more in depth analysis in the next few days to really touch on our blockchain's implementation.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Alloy Reserve
AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 01:11:18 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2017, 04:24:40 PM by AlloyReserve

Hello

Thanks for publishing the White Paper, and being open to input from the community.

I only had a quick read through, however some thoughts in no particular order;

I probably went a little deeper into my opinions than really needed (sorry) and have about a million other thoughts, so I might leave it as 5 points for now. What I can say however, is that I like the thought process so far. It's a refreshing change from the number of meme coins and dubious looking scams we get here on the forum. Good luck with the project. Zap me a PM if you do want to discuss more Smiley

Hello PotatoPants,

We wanted to start off by saying what an awesome review and we're going to try to respond to each of your points!

1) I like the idea of "disrupting" the traditional interpretation of Crypto Currency.  With that in mind however, perhaps this presents an opportunity to redefine even the Whitepaper process. I appreciate that you want to stay within the boundaries of what is expected when launching a coin, however I can't help but think that the idea of what a whitepaper represents has started to become corrupted. Put simply, I'd love it if you could show me the technical design in the WhitePaper, but give me evidence of Business Validity with other documents.

1)
We agree, disrupting the conventional "Bitcoin Box" thought process is one that really allows AlloyCoin to solve a new problem - volatility. We agree that white papers have become corrupted in the sense that there are many specious white papers which attempt to attract users by giving the appearance of legitimacy. Our reason was two fold: AlloyCoin legitimately has a different fundamental implementation and that our team is composed of research scientists who naturally, are familiar with the "white paper" format. AlloyCoin is different as you pointed out, namely: it is simultaneously a business entity and a cryptocurrency. This does present the opportunity to combine both a business plan and white paper into a single document. Currently, the two are separated but this does need to be revisited for reasons you accurately describe.

2) As an example of my point above. You explore Risk a little in Section 5 (preventing reserve failure), however a technical whitepaper really isn't the place for this sort of discussion. It's great that there is some consideration of risk, however you really haven't gone far enough, or presented your risks thoroughly enough. As part of your disruption strategy, I'd love to see a risk matrix, a risk plan, treatment, and even the honest and upfront understanding that your project may completely fail. For example  how about some exploration or modelling of expectations if/when your coin gets pumped and dumped by a third party? Showing me that you've considered the risks involved in launching a crypto currency will give you a much stronger foundation should things not go according to plan later when the coin is launched.

2)
Exploring risk management is going to be a crucial element to describe. The section regarding risk at the moment is still in a draft phase. The risk of failure is a very real possibility and while the white paper does touch on some of our methods for mitigating this risk in 4. Evaluation, we haven't succinctly collected them and captured them in detail in a single section of the white paper. One unique aspect of AlloyCoin is that while most other coins focus on solving technical problems, AlloyCoin is solving economic problems, albeit in a technical way. This is one distinct advantage AlloyCoin has over other cryptocurrencies. We will keep your suggestions in mind when fleshing out the details for section 5. Preventing Reserve Failure.

3) I'll only briefly mention reference formatting. I suggest you use a academic standard such as APA (I think it's even built into Word these days). This will help you with Point 4

3)
Yes, consistent formatting will be interesting while integrating a business plan with a white paper. Our format was Springer and written using LaTeX.

4) Have a look at your overall formatting. Ideally don't split lines mid sentance across pages. Coupled with your references on every page, it makes the paper hard to read.  As per point 3, don't mix your references with your internal sub-notes. Also, number your pages please, so I can refer to specific pages when trying to review (or when someone asks for an explaination)

4)
Springer format does use references in text but perhaps we could reduce the number of them we used. I agree, there are some pages where references almost take up a third of the page.

5) Financial Process wise, (and I may be paraphrasing or not understanding completely), I read it as there will be a Reserve Bank for Alloycoin, where you will basically try manipulate the price based on a predetermined set of rules. For the example of flash crashes, this seems to make some sense (until the Reserve runs out of coin or assets). From a business integrity veiwpoint, it gets a bit muddy, and I'm not sure how your going to "sell" this to people without the word "scam" getting thrown around, much less get this contractually sound.  Obviously, you need a lot more exploration of this, and a lot more governance than the Paper shows at this point of time. Just as an example, the Reserve will hold a subset of other currency, however I'm not sure how you are going to model the highly variable nature of these currencies against Alloy coin, much less present your buy back in a concise legal document.

5)
This is a really awesome point and shows you read the paper! So there are a couple things to point out. First, AlloyCoin does work alongside its own Reserve - specifically Alloy Reserve LLC. Second, AlloyCoin is unique in that it actually has two prices instead of one. The market price and the base price. Demand determines the former while Alloy Reserve establishes the latter. There will be an interesting interaction between the two prices, but it is not Alloy Reserve's job to determine the market price. Alloy Reserve doesn't have the ability to inflate market prices and artificially inflating the base price actually led to Reserve failure in all of our simulations. This is akin to The Panic of 1907 more info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1907 and leads to volatility - the very thing AlloyCoin is supposed to solve.

The third point is that Alloy Reserve's assets grow as the blockchain grows. This is because Alloy Reserve collects a percentage of all coins mined by the network. This means Alloy Reserve will always have a supply of AlloyCoins to sell when market prices are above the base price - and assets to liquidate to buy back coins when market prices are below the base price.

Think of Alloy Reserve as an organized, collective effort on behalf of the network to protect itself from volatility by guaranteeing a portion of the value of the market price. Like a dollar being worth 100 cents in the street (market price) and 90 cents are guaranteed by a pool of assets (base price). The difference is just a (10%) premium the market pays to acquire a coin that provides this security/stability. Each coin holder has a stake in the Reserve assets if the value of their coin were to drop. They can always "cash out" whenever they want, but usually, market prices will remain above the base price - And when they don't, Alloy Reserve guarantees to buy your coin back for the base price thereby creating a price floor.

Alloy Reserve's assets are actually distributed across other cryptocurrencies and index funds. By introducing index funds into the asset mix, AlloyCoins are rooting their value in the stock market. As these assets grow in value over time, the value of the collective price floor increases. This provides a very unique situation that no other currency has where over time, the market's growing demand for crypto increases the market price and the growth of the stock market over time increases the price floor.

Lastly, Alloy Reserve doesn't need to "scam" its users as its assets are collectively owned by the network anyways. Scamming in this implementation actually does't make sense. Any value Alloy Reserve gains from sales or the ICO go towards acquiring more assets. Note: a small percentage does go towards providing continued business services. Since Alloy Reserve profits from buying/selling and interest, Alloy Reserve really profits from volume of transactions, not from margins. The more Alloy Reserve makes, the more the value of AlloyCoin grows creating a feedback loop.

Great questions, hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more!

Alloy Reserve
support@alloycoin.com
Energy_girl

Activity: 322
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 01:30:24 AM

Where do we send our critique of the white paper? Post here or email?

Blockshipping  ───────────────────────────────────────────   Whitepaper   Telegram   Github
██  Transforming The Global Container Shipping Industry   ███████████████             Twitter     Facebook         
The ICO starts 14 May 2018 at 2 pm CET   ────────────────────   Reddit   Medium   ANN Thread   
AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 01:34:25 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2017, 01:44:32 AM by AlloyReserve

Hi Energy_girl,

Thanks for posting! Feel free to post your critique here for transparency, that way everyone can see and it'll answer questions they might have as well.

Alloy Reserve,
support@alloycoin.com
Energy_girl

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 01:50:24 AM

Hi Energy_girl,

Thanks for posting! Feel free to post your critique here for transparency, that way everyone can see and it'll answer questions they might have as well.

Alloy Reserve,
support@alloycoin.com

Any deadlines?

Blockshipping  ───────────────────────────────────────────   Whitepaper   Telegram   Github
██  Transforming The Global Container Shipping Industry   ███████████████             Twitter     Facebook         
The ICO starts 14 May 2018 at 2 pm CET   ────────────────────   Reddit   Medium   ANN Thread   
AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 01:52:16 AM

Hi Energy_girl,

Alloy Reserve,
support@alloycoin.com

Any deadlines?

Not at all, there's no rush.

Alloy Reserve LLC,
support@alloycoin.com
AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 05:52:27 PM

Traditional cryptocurrencies use a consensus method to protect their network from attackers. What they lack however, is a way to protect their network's currency from volatility. This is what distinguishes AlloyCoin from everyone else.

While other currencies only have one price determined by the market, AlloyCoin has a price determined by the market and a Reserve that guarantees a price floor. Alloy Reserve will ALWAYS buy back coins, but only at the base price. Holders of AlloyCoins know that if they can't find a better offer on the market for their coin, they can always sell back to the Reserve at any time for the baseprice value.

The market price is still determined by demand, but the base price is determined by design.

Traditional cryptocurrencies have one main factor that determines value: demand.

AlloyCoin has three: demand, value of Reserve assets and the confidence investors have knowing their coin's value can't collapse overnight.
For the base price to collapse, it would require ALL of the Reserve's assets to fail - simultaneously. Which isn't very likely. Just like a mutual fund distributes its investments over different companies, AlloyCoin distributes its Reserve over a variety of assets to create stability.

This amalgam of assets, is where AlloyCoin gets its name: An alloy is a blend of metals. So AlloyCoin's Reserve is a blend of assets.
awesome_cryptos

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:15:26 AM

5) Financial Process wise, (and I may be paraphrasing or not understanding completely), I read it as there will be a Reserve Bank for Alloycoin, where you will basically try manipulate the price based on a predetermined set of rules. For the example of flash crashes, this seems to make some sense (until the Reserve runs out of coin or assets). From a business integrity veiwpoint, it gets a bit muddy, and I'm not sure how your going to "sell" this to people without the word "scam" getting thrown around, much less get this contractually sound.  Obviously, you need a lot more exploration of this, and a lot more governance than the Paper shows at this point of time. Just as an example, the Reserve will hold a subset of other currency, however I'm not sure how you are going to model the highly variable nature of these currencies against Alloy coin, much less present your buy back in a concise legal document.

5)
This is a really awesome point and shows you read the paper! So there are a couple things to point out. First, AlloyCoin does work alongside its own Reserve - specifically Alloy Reserve LLC. Second, AlloyCoin is unique in that it actually has two prices instead of one. The market price and the base price. Demand determines the former while Alloy Reserve establishes the latter. There will be an interesting interaction between the two prices, but it is not Alloy Reserve's job to determine the market price. Alloy Reserve doesn't have the ability to inflate market prices and artificially inflating the base price actually led to Reserve failure in all of our simulations. This is akin to The Panic of 1907 more info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1907 and leads to volatility - the very thing AlloyCoin is supposed to solve.

The third point is that Alloy Reserve's assets grow as the blockchain grows. This is because Alloy Reserve collects a percentage of all coins mined by the network. This means Alloy Reserve will always have a supply of AlloyCoins to sell when market prices are above the base price - and assets to liquidate to buy back coins when market prices are below the base price.

Think of Alloy Reserve as an organized, collective effort on behalf of the network to protect itself from volatility by guaranteeing a portion of the value of the market price. Like a dollar being worth 100 cents in the street (market price) and 90 cents are guaranteed by a pool of assets (base price). The difference is just a (10%) premium the market pays to acquire a coin that provides this security/stability. Each coin holder has a stake in the Reserve assets if the value of their coin were to drop. They can always "cash out" whenever they want, but usually, market prices will remain above the base price - And when they don't, Alloy Reserve guarantees to buy your coin back for the base price thereby creating a price floor.

Alloy Reserve's assets are actually distributed across other cryptocurrencies and index funds. By introducing index funds into the asset mix, AlloyCoins are rooting their value in the stock market. As these assets grow in value over time, the value of the collective price floor increases. This provides a very unique situation that no other currency has where over time, the market's growing demand for crypto increases the market price and the growth of the stock market over time increases the price floor.

Lastly, Alloy Reserve doesn't need to "scam" its users as its assets are collectively owned by the network anyways. Scamming in this implementation actually does't make sense. Any value Alloy Reserve gains from sales or the ICO go towards acquiring more assets. Note: a small percentage does go towards providing continued business services. Since Alloy Reserve profits from buying/selling and interest, Alloy Reserve really profits from volume of transactions, not from margins. The more Alloy Reserve makes, the more the value of AlloyCoin grows creating a feedback loop.

Alloy Reserve
support@alloycoin.com

I'm not sure if you addressed the 'scam' issue. It seems the 'scam' part could come from trust that Alloy Reserve will always buy-back coins and that the base price will be fair. So naturally it will probably take time to build up that trust? Have you considered what actions you might take to increase trust? I do like the idea that the block chain and mining will happen outside the reserve and that the market price is independent, so even if the reserve were to fail, it wouldn't necessarily mean AlloyCoins are worthless, it just might go back to being a volatile crypto-currency.
nonokeci

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:20:18 AM

price floor goes against free markets? how do you guarantee liquidity as well? you'll need huge reserves
AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 04:01:38 AM

5)

Alloy Reserve
support@alloycoin.com

I'm not sure if you addressed the 'scam' issue. It seems the 'scam' part could come from trust that Alloy Reserve will always buy-back coins and that the base price will be fair. So naturally it will probably take time to build up that trust? Have you considered what actions you might take to increase trust? I do like the idea that the block chain and mining will happen outside the reserve and that the market price is independent, so even if the reserve were to fail, it wouldn't necessarily mean AlloyCoins are worthless, it just might go back to being a volatile crypto-currency.

Hi Awesome_cryptos,

Thank you for messaging us! You are correct, there will be an element of trust and this is something that Alloy Reserve will always have to work towards. By being open and as transparent as possible - just like we're doing here!

You are correct that there is a risk of Reserve failure - where all of the Reserve's assets are either sold or their value is 0. Do note that a number of precautions have been taken to prevent this. Let's look at a simplified example case:

Suppose that the market price for one AlloyCoin is 10$. Lets assume that there are 10 coins in circulation - where by circulation we mean the coins not in the Reserve. Of the 10 circulating coins, the Reserve sold 8 of them and 2 were mined. This means the Reserve has $80 in assets.
This leaves us with the approx. base price of 80/10 = 8$. *The actually base price calculation is slightly different*.

So far we know that if you had one of those AlloyCoins, the market value would be 10$ and the base price (price floor) is 8$. This means most people will pay 10$ for your coin (market value). Since the market price is determined by demand, if a lot of people want AlloyCoins, the market price goes up. If a few people want AlloyCoins, the price drops. However, this is where AlloyCoin is different.

Suppose you wake up one day to find that only a few people want your coin, and the market price has fallen to 6$. You compare this to the base price and realize that Alloy Reserve is offering ~8$ for your coin. In fact, Alloy Reserve has already liquidated assets and begun buying coins back from circulation. You can sell yours for ~8$ if you want, or wait for the market price to correct itself. Since this ~8$ is a hard price floor, this happens quickly as Alloy Reserve is always buying back coins for a percentage of the base price. This would mean that in a few hours, the market price would at least equal the base price.

Note: This example is simplified as the base price calculation is slightly different and the Reserve pays at a percentage of the base price. Either way, the price Alloy Reserve will pay for an AlloyCoin will always be known and displayed on AlloyCoin's website.

As for your second point, you are correct that in the unlikely event that the Reserve were to fail, AlloyCoin would still function just as any other cryptocurrency. AlloyCoin's Reserve is like extra credit in a sense and the Reserve can still recover.

Thanks for your questions, hope this helps!

Alloy Reserve
alloycoin.com
support@alloycoin.com
AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 04:18:41 AM

price floor goes against free markets? how do you guarantee liquidity as well? you'll need huge reserves

Hi nonokeci,

Thanks for your interest in AlloyCoin and for taking the time to ask us your questions!

A price floor does go against free markets *but - remember that the price floor isn't the only price for an AlloyCoin. There is also a market price that is freely determined by the market. Alloy Reserve establishes the base price only to maintain the integrity of prices. Just like the blockchain establishes a consensus (pow/pos) to protect itself from attack. AlloyCoin also organizes its collective value to protect its price from collapsing.

The market price is determined by the free market. The base price is determined by Alloy Reserve.

Alloy Reserve's assets are invested in liquid assets: stocks, bonds and other cryptocurrencies. This allows the Reserve's assets to still grow over time but be sold fast enough in the event that the market has become oversaturated with AlloyCoins and market prices drop.

Yes, AlloyCoin's Reserves will need to be fairly large however this is where an ICO would actually benefit a cryptocurrency like ours. I'm not sure why other cryptocurrencies need such large ICOs when their expenses are only to pay developers.
Alloy Reserve will use will use 98% of the total ICO value to acquire assets.

These assets grow with time and remember that Alloy Reserve collects a percentage of new coins that are mined. So the Reserve will still have a continuous supply of coins to sell and continue growing the Reserve's value. Alloy Reserve will grow as the blockchain grows.

Thanks for your questions, let me know if any of this wasn't clear enough. I would be happy to explain in more detail!

Alloy Reserve
alloycoin.com
support@alloycoin.com
Energy_girl

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 05:11:35 AM

Hi,
here is my critique of the white paper:

Too technical! Mind you, I have a phd in data science but I think your paper is too technical and too academic. I close it immediately after opening the paper. 

I think what you should do is to have 3 pdf, one summary in ppt format (10-15 slides), one business white paper with a layman terms technical section, one technical paper.

I think you have a good business case but the presentation from your website and white paper need seriously improvement before any investors would take you seriously.

This is my 2 cents view.

AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 05:12:37 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2017, 01:55:38 AM by AlloyReserve

You could have explained more details about this project! Many people want to read the main thread, I doubt they will read the Whitepaper! Also, the presentation is very simple, I'll be forced to read the Whitepaper to know if it's a valid project or another project that wants to desperately raise funds, anyway, good luck.

Hi Karodozo,

Thanks a great point, I'll include a more in depth analysis in the next few days!
cok_elat

Activity: 314

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 05:17:39 AM

the information isn't enough sir. i'm sure that forums can't understand what project is it. you must explain this information details and also broadly.
AlloyReserve (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2017, 05:21:43 AM

Hi,
here is my critique of the white paper:

Too technical! Mind you, I have a phd in data science but I think your paper is too technical and too academic. I close it immediately after opening the paper. 

I think what you should do is to have 3 pdf, one summary in ppt format (10-15 slides), one business white paper with a layman terms technical section, one technical paper.

I think you have a good business case but the presentation from your website and white paper need seriously improvement before any investors would take you seriously.

This is my 2 cents view.

Hi Energy_Girl,

Thanks for your input! This is something that a number of people have expressed. The paper does seem academic only because our team consists mostly of published PhDs and other researchers who are most familiar with that format - myself included. I was under the impression that people would actually prefer something more technical as that is what describes our implementation succinctly. That does seem to be an incorrect assumption, but now we can fix that!

We'll upload details about AlloyCoin with more examples as that seems to get the best reactions. Perhaps even the investor summary we had distributed to our seed investors.

Thanks for your feedback, we really do appreciate it!

Alloy Reserve
alloycoin.com
support@alloycoin.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: